Hardware Nintendo Switch Technical Specifications Discussion

What SoC do you think the Nintendo Switch will use? + Reasons in thread.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just to recap everything from Foxconn, with absolute certainty:
Die size is 100mm^2, with a 200mm^2 GPU in new dev unit dock (similar setup to medium range px2, and confirmed gp106). While gp108 might be 132mm^2, it has 768 cuda cores. Further, the soc could have a stacked orientation. In this case, we should expect performance better than tegra x2.
6.8'' screen, not sure about resolution due to eye observation.
Dock gives no significant boost to ps4 pro level. Provide better cooling components but the fans are in the tablet.
4000+ mAh.
1.7+ GHz quad core, clock closer to a57 but stated to be a73. 921 MHz gpu, core count unknown.
Very stable performance with Unity fish demo. Less than superb lighting.
Conclusion: Massively more powerful compared to the wii u.
Based on those specs wouldnt lighting be equivalent to the ps4? Its cpu is already much better than it anyways so this should be a given no?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm thinking close to 900 cores with gp106. Very solid system for the first major hybrid console. Only possible in 2016. Outdoor play during daytime will be an issue, but I'm betting that's the only real issue. Switch passes the test for a system targeting 1080p, and then some. Anybody who doesn't want to bother upgrading from their first-revision PS4s/XB1s will be playing in 1080p as well, so that would effectively make Switch Nintendo's first modern console on par with the current console generation's hardware. Never thought I'd see the day.

SSB at 60 FPS pls Nintenduuu
Probably more , slightly more powerful seeing as how this thing is supposedly more powerful than Parker.

Last edited by TheDarkGreninja,

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Based on those specs wouldnt lighting be equivalent to the ps4? Its cpu is already much better than it anyways so this should be a given no?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Probably more , slightly more powerful seeing as how this thing is supposedly more powerful than Parker.
Egpu allow performance to jump from acceptable to somewhere close to gtx 1060 which is easily faster than ps4 pro considering how it's overpowering rx 480 in some games. IPC plays a huge part in performance, and there are lots of differences between x86 and arm. How do you think Atom still manage to beat mid range arm even now?

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Egpu allow performance to jump from acceptable to somewhere close to gtx 1060 which is easily faster than ps4 pro considering how it's overpowering rx 480 in some games. IPC plays a huge part in performance, and there are lots of differences between x86 and arm. How do you think Atom still manage to beat mid range arm even now?
Isnt type-c capable of transferring data like thunderbolt? This would make an egpu much easier to run and not bottleneck.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Isnt type-c capable of transferring data like thunderbolt? This would make an egpu much easier to run and not bottleneck.
The port itself has no limitation, but the cpu needs a x4 setup and the controller need to be able to support it. So if I have my current tablet, swap out the cpu controller, rewrite the firmware after installing the thunderbolt controller, I would have something that can hook up to a GTX 1080. But we don't know if the other two chip provider actually have something. Nvidia possibly only take part in the chip design than directly producing them, hence the low clock a73, which are better suited for something that needs a major gpu (a73 is considerably smaller than a57 and Denver), and possible produced using 10nm.

Last edited by Yil,

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The port itself has no limitation, but the cpu needs a x4 setup and the controller need to be able to support it. So if I have my current tablet, swap out the cpu controller, rewrite the firmware after installing the thunderbolt controller, I would have something that can hook up to a GTX 1080. But we don't know if the other two chip provider actually have something. Nvidia possibly only take part in the chip design than directly producing them, hence the low clock a73, which are better suited for something that needs a major gpu, and possible produced using 10nm.
If they ever do make something like an egpu the controller support should be a given.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
indeed. type-c usb is usb 3.1, which is double theoretical usb 3.0, which makes it equal-ish to theoretical thunderbolt 1.0.

usb 3.1 can and thunderbolt 3.0 (4x the theoretical speed of usb 3.1/thunderbolt 1.0) does use the type-c connector. Which isn't confusing at all.

Last edited by osaka35,

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
indeed. type-c is usb 3.1, which is double 3.0, which makes it equal to thunderbolt 3.0.

Both usb 3.1 and thunderbolt 3.0 use the type-c connector. Which isn't confusing at all.
Not that. Thunderbolt 3.0 is four times as fast as usb 3.1 and eight times as fast as usb 3.0. Intel said themselves that the physical port of type-c connectors can handle the transfer rate of thunderbolt 3.0, but not every pc have a thunderbolt controller or even handle pcie 3.0 x4

Reactions: osaka35

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to recap everything from Foxconn, with absolute certainty:
Die size is 100mm^2, with a 200mm^2 GPU in new dev unit dock (similar setup to medium range px2, and confirmed gp106). While gp108 might be 132mm^2, it has 768 cuda cores. Further, the soc could have a stacked orientation. In this case, we should expect performance better than tegra x2.
6.8'' screen, not sure about resolution due to eye observation.
Dock gives no significant boost to ps4 pro level. Provide better cooling components but the fans are in the tablet.
4000+ mAh.
1.7+ GHz quad core, clock closer to a57 but stated to be a73. 921 MHz gpu, core count unknown.
Very stable performance with Unity fish demo. Less than superb lighting.
Conclusion: Massively more powerful compared to the wii u.
Let's say this is all true.

If the screen is that big, fine. Hopefully that didn't increase the overall size too much nor hit the battery too hard.
I don't see this being 1080p and still being that screen size. Probably just a really good 720p screen.

If it is a low clocked a73, do you think they will overclock it or clock it normally while it is on the dock?

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that. Thunderbolt 3.0 is four times as fast as usb 3.1 and eight times as fast as usb 3.0. Intel said themselves that the physical port of type-c connectors can handle the transfer rate of thunderbolt 3.0, but not every pc have a thunderbolt controller or even handle pcie 3.0 x4
I mistyped :P I corrected before you responded, but I suppose after you started typing. Thanks for the correction though

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

If the screen is that big, fine. Hopefully that didn't increase the overall size too much nor hit the battery too hard.
I don't see this being 1080p and still being that screen size. Probably just a really good 720p screen.

If it is a low clocked a73, do you think they will overclock it or clock it normally while it is on the dock?
Possibly. There seems to have a few heat pipes on the dock for better cooling.

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Most likely, earlier rumours did say it ran better when docked so it probably underclocks.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I mistyped :P I corrected before you responded, but I suppose after you started typing. Thanks for the correction though
With this in mind, do you think they can pull off something similar? X1 has already demonstrated pcie capability with tx1.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nvidia would be providing the GPU for both the Switch and the "Power Dock" and is free to make a customized solution. They don't need Thunderbolt at all - Nvidia can possibly just extend their SLI spec.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Outdoor play during daytime will be an issue, but I'm betting that's the only real issue.
Not since the original Game Boys have I seen a good sunlight-playable gaming portable. It's a shame in many ways. With the heat the Switch is likely to generate, I think Nintendo prefer that the Switch won't be ideal for outdoor use. Plus lithium ion batteries degrade faster in higher temperatures.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Not since the original Game Boys have I seen a good sunlight-playable gaming portable. It's a shame in many ways. With the heat the Switch is likely to generate, I think Nintendo prefer that the Switch won't be ideal for outdoor use. Plus lithium ion batteries degrade faster in higher temperatures.
No you don't understand, when you meet at midnight to play basketball with your friends in a city park, as they did in the Switch reveal trailer, that's when it's perfect for outdoor use.

"That's something gamers do, right guys?" - Nintendo marketing, probably

And 'modern' is defined as...?
Last couple generations, I suppose. Gamecube didn't really feel like it had the power of PS2, either, even if it technically did (I think).

There are phones with smaller 1080p screens. 720p is also a possibility but so is 900p.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: foob

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk