Hardware Nintendo Switch OLED - “Unable To Access SD Card”

OhItsSlick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A month ago I received an OLED Switch that was in a house fire. I was able to get it working after cleaning out the corrosion and replacing the battery. Switch works fine and haven’t had any issues other
than it not being able to read micro SD cards. There isn’t a lot of documentation on OLED repairs so I’m kind of going at this blind. So the OLED switch uses a daughterboard for the SD card and game cart
reader.

NSODP2.PNG

Oddly enough, it reads game carts fine so the daughterboard gets some form of power. The audio jack also works fine. Perhaps the biggest hint as to what’s causing the fault is that the cap under the SD card reader (I THINK) needs 3v3 to read cards but what’s happening is when I turn the console on, 3v is present at the first Nintendo logo, then disappears once the 2nd logo and OS is fully loaded. Also, the error pops up even when no microsd card is inserted into the daughterboard. The error doesn't pop up at all when the daughterboard is detached from the pcb.

I’ve replaced the SD card slot itself as well as the caps under the SD slot (I assume the caps under the switch lite SD card slot are suitable replacements). The PMIC outputs 3v3 so I’m thinking there’s some sort of component between the PMIC and daughterboard that feeds the 3v3 to it, and the corrosion has caused it to go faulty.

Any ideas here?

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I recall some SD slots use a mechanical switch to see whether the card has been inserted or not.
Maybe this has gone bad and the slot thinks there is an SD card inserted.

OhItsSlick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recall some SD slots use a mechanical switch to see whether the card has been inserted or not.
Maybe this has gone bad and the slot thinks there is an SD card inserted.
Unfortunately I think the fault is related to the daughterboard itself or the SOC. There seems to be a ground short on the CMD line which explains why the sd card is being able to be read.

Reactions: impeeza

DuffGnR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Unfortunately I think the fault is related to the daughterboard itself or the SOC. There seems to be a ground short on the CMD line which explains why the sd card is being able to be read.
Did you manage to solve it? If yes, how? I have the same problem and I believe it is not on the daughter board, as I tested another one and nothing changed.
I used 3 different cards (Lexar, Samsung and Sandisk) and only one Sandisk works without initialization errors.
On Hekate, the other two cards show errors, I did voltage tests on the micro SD input and the tracks change when I use these other cards.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Did you manage to solve it? If yes, how? I have the same problem and I believe it is not on the daughter board, as I tested another one and nothing changed.
I used 3 different cards (Lexar, Samsung and Sandisk) and only one Sandisk works without initialization errors.
On Hekate, the other two cards show errors, I did voltage tests on the micro SD input and the tracks change when I use these other cards.
if your read the message, the problem of original OP was on the card. your is not because if your tested another daughter board and the problem continues, you have your answer, your problem is on another point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.