Nintendo Switch gets unofficial Android 10 support from SwitchRoot

android 10 on nintendo switch.png

The SwitchRoot team has successfully ported Android 10 to the Nintendo Switch. This build is based on the LineageOS 17.1 for NVIDIA Shield TV which, compared to previous releases, is faster, more responsive and includes new features such as deep sleep and an Android TV build. This release is also available in two versions where the 'Tablet' build works best in portable mode and supports the full Android app library, and the 'Android TV' build supports both docked and portable modes for media but may not support all apps and games.

An official changelog for this release can be found below:

• Android 10 based on Lineage 17.1
  • OTA updates.
  • Full Joy-Con and Pro Controller support with analog sticks and rails.
  • Hori Joy-Con support.
  • Deep sleep that can last for weeks.
  • An Android TV based build.
  • Reworked fan profiles for quieter operation.
  • Optimised dock support with resolution scaling.
  • A rewritten charger driver supporting USB-PD and third party docks.
  • Optimised touch screen driver.
  • Easier install via hekate partition tool.
  • Reworked, simpler, power profiles.
  • Much improved WiFi driver with less dropouts.
  • Shield TV remote app support for easy docked control.
  • Reboot to payload support.
  • Improved Bluetooth accessory support.
  • Auto rotation support.

Additionally, there are a couple of known bugs which the SwitchRoot team shared:

• Shield games are broken, DO NOT BUY THEM.
  • Sleep may not work on a small proportion of devices, you can flash the alarm disable zip to try and mitigate this.
  • BT audio might stutter on some headphones.
  • You might need to reboot for Bluetooth to work on a small proportion of devices.
  • Default keyboard can't be used with a controller.
  • Some apps don't like the Joy-Con D-Pad.

SwitchRoot member bylaws posted a complete installation guide, with download links and tips over on XDA and is linked below.

:download: Android 10 Nintendo Switch Installation Guide

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
And... why do you think that’s necessary to point out? Did you actually try to install apps built for 9... on 10? And also install it without following the directions? :wtf:

He's right. At first 8 was selected so I thought it was normal but when it failed I went for 10.

SaiyaTrunX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Any chances of making a simple android app to reboot to the hekate payload to switch between operating systems without turning the Switch off and injecting the payload externally again?

vanrocka90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And... why do you think that’s necessary to point out? Did you actually try to install apps built for 9... on 10? And also install it without following the directions? :wtf:
That I did install, as that was not in description as part of tutorial and also the page defaults to 9.0 when you select arm64. so figured i'd just point out something that isnt properly specified in the tutorial notes and I saw no specific mention to use 10. Thnx tho!!

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Just finished a fresh install of Android 10 and emuMMC on a new SD Card and everything works very well! I'm glad running Android and emuMMC is finally supported on one card so shout out to Switchroot, Hekate, and Atmosphere teams!

Anyone tried Genshin, Honkai and FGO on this? I'm curious.

I can confirm Genshin Impact works pretty well. I only played for a split second, but other than some slow downs here and there I didn't have any problems. Since it doesn't have controller support yet I used "Game Controller 2 Touch PRO" on the Play Store which is an ok alternative until controllers are supported in Genshin Impact. Do note if you use said app it doesn't recognize R2/ZR or L2/ZL... I'm pretty sure that's an issue with the app, not the rom, but I can't confirm. I plan to actually sit down and play later so if anything else comes up I'll probably make another post.

I can try other games if anyone wants...

Last edited by KingAsix,

sephiro499

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
keep us updated
I'm very intested in emulator support as well. I really enjoyed ppsspp as a stand alone in sx os but it's a much older version and I couldn't get any farther in Ys seven because the map was bugged. Also joycon support if at all possible. If not I've got an ipega 9023 I can use instead.

Last edited by sephiro499,

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is awesome, but past Dolphin, what's a use case? Looking to get it all setup and updated again but not just "because I can" haha.
dolphin , dolphin ,oh and did mention dolphin
but yeah besides that move apk's like c1nema
maybe you can use the new android TV version of DUO on it to make video calls on the TV if you have a webcam
too bad they can't make a special version that switches between tablet mode android and android TV automatically when it is docked

Reactions: MorningBlunt

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night