Nintendo Switch firmware 5.0.0 released

kKSBku0N.png

After being hinted at by the iOS version notes for Nintendo's parental control app, the Nintendo Switch has received the firmware update for version 5.0.0. The last update to the Nintendo Switch, and previous current firmware, was version 4.1.0 which released in December of last year. The new update to 5.0.0 adds new avatars from Kirby and ARMS, changes to parental controls, and as always, everyone's favorite; system stability improvements. While this is a major update in terms of version number, it appears that the changes here are relatively minor in scope. You can see the full changelog in the quote below.

Added the following system functionality
Facebook and Twitter friends that also use Nintendo Switch can now be added through Friend Suggestions
Friend suggestions are based on the Facebook and Twitter accounts you have linked to your Nintendo Account
To view your friend suggestions, from the top left of the HOME Menu head to your User Page > Friend Suggestions
You must be 13 or older to use this feature
Select from 24 new ARMS and the Kirby series icons for your user
To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
Digital software purchases made from a PC or smart device will start downloading sooner than previously, even if the Nintendo Switch console is in Sleep Mode
Filter News to view only unread news or news from specific channels
To keep the Parental Controls PIN private, the default method for PIN entry has been changed to entering using the Control Stick and buttons instead of the on-screen number pad
When prompted to enter you Parental Controls PIN, press and hold the + Button to change between input methods
Captured videos in the Album will be restricted by Parental Controls depending on the Restricted Software setting and Software Rating Organization
Using the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app, add specific software titles to your whitelist to exclude them from the console’s Parental Controls Restricted Software setting
Play-Time Limit restrictions will still apply even when the software title has been whitelisted.
Receive notification when pre-purchased software is ready to play
Nintendo Switch Pro Controller grip colors will now display in the Controllers menu
General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience, including:
Resolved an issue that caused Play Activity to display incorrectly in the Profile section of your User Page

As always, if you have any interest at all in homebrew, be sure to stay at the lowest possible firmware you can.

:arrow: Source

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I need to be updated to the latest version for the little SD Card update thing?

If you didn't have the SDXC driver downloaded, it will force you to update to the latest firmware version.

Source: Happened to me when I needed to download the driver. Updated me from 4.0 to 4.1 to use my SDXC card.

Reactions: Deleted-379826

BORODA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I hope the new revision is actually a revision for bootrom fix and not some "New Switch/Switch Pro" BS everybody does now.

Onibi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Face it, you nerds will update for Smash later this year anyways :P

I have Doom, Xeno, Mario and Bayonetta ICE plus the Zelda pass waiting for me here. I will hold out now ... :cry:!
It's worth to have my switch emulate old consoles :toot:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well I hope the new revision is actually a revision for bootrom fix and not some "New Switch/Switch Pro" BS everybody does now.

Well it will definitely come. Not now, since it would hurt sales, but in approx. a year I think you will see a PRO. youtube.com/watch?v=lBS80HA07pM makes a good point why it would be convenient to do so. So why shouldn't they.

Last edited by Onibi,

BORODA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well it will definitely come. Not now, since it would hurt sales, but in approx. a year I think you will see a PRO. youtube.com/watch?v=lBS80HA07pM makes a good point why it would be convenient to do so. So why shouldn't they.
Well, I do agree that it will come out eventually, but it should be, like you said, in a year or more, not now. That's why I really hope that's just a patched bootrom and not a pro version, otherwise, I'm gravitating to selling switch.

The_Green_Nerd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
More people having internet speed-issues after the update?

My internet isn't getting higher than 5.3 mbit down en 2.5 mbit up. I tried everything from rebooting my switch, WiFi, USB-lan adapter, directly from my modem into my LAN-adapter. No more than 5 mbit! And I have 100/100 normally.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
I have Doom, Xeno, Mario and Bayonetta ICE plus the Zelda pass waiting for me here. I will hold out now ... :cry:!
It's worth to have my switch emulate old consoles :toot:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah can see a nintendo switch pro 100%.

increase screen size by decreasing bezels
bluetooth headphone support
a bit more graphical grunt possibly or maybe screen res increase altho seems unnceccesary
a few gimicks
$$$$$$

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just picked up a Switch this afternoon. 4.1.0, and I haven't connected it to wifi yet. Gonna hold out for now, but not sure I'll last that long if hax aren't forthcoming soon, as I'm going to want eshop indie games etc at some point, it's one of the things that made the Switch appealing. Nice to know the bootrom vuln is always there, whether it's the modchip, or there's almost always more soft hacks if you wait long enough.

souler92

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah can see a nintendo switch pro 100%.

increase screen size by decreasing bezels
bluetooth headphone support
a bit more graphical grunt possibly or maybe screen res increase altho seems unnceccesary
a few gimicks
$$$$$$

hope they wont do it like the new 3ds xl (tho i think the new 3ds is a great upgrade) it forces people to buy another switch for better graphics and "new "switch xl pro only games.... that would suck

Geezerdorf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, I do agree that it will come out eventually, but it should be, like you said, in a year or more, not now. That's why I really hope that's just a patched bootrom and not a pro version, otherwise, I'm gravitating to selling switch.
Rather tan a simple revision, these could also be packed and distributed as if they were ordinary shipments, just like the PSP and its multiple revisions.
The fact that a new SoC update exists, indicate that they'll release a new board with new ways to work, to "circumvent" the exploit on the original one. What i think it'll happen is that they will release it in a "stealthy way", so that you don't notice it, unless you open your switch and check your board version/check the Console Serial, to see if they changed it to reflect the new hardware.

hope they wont do it like the new 3ds xl (tho i think the new 3ds is a great upgrade) it forces people to buy another switch for better graphics and "new "switch xl pro only games.... that would suck
I highly doubt that they'll release a newer console with more power than the previous one. Kimishima said that they want to stick to the old "not upgrade the console or replace it, unless it's really necesary (read: disregarding the "game industry")" plan that Yamauchi used to have. Hence why i think they'll do this one new SoC as a minor hardware revision; to blend with the other models that exist already.
Then again, i could be wrong, but if they do...what'll be? Switch Mini? Macro, this time? :rofl2:

Last edited by Geezerdorf,

Onibi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

More likely on the switch you will "just" see a drop in dynamic resolution, effects or potentially a slightly worse frame rate. Not that I like that too much better. But at least games will play on all systems.

Ichii Giki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm, after the "server maintenance" at 5:50pm Pacific Time, you are now required to update to 5.0 to play splatoon online

Edit: lol nvm post below confirms it is no longer possible :ha:

This isn't true at all. 5.0 is still not required for online play. I was able to play online matches in Splatoon 2 today (Happy Pi Day!) around 6PM ET 2018/3/14 after manually installing the 2.3.2 update (and my FW is still 4.1 - I do have update URLs blocked in the DNS settings on my local router).

Just picked up a Switch this afternoon. 4.1.0, and I haven't connected it to wifi yet.

If you wanted to try and grab some eShop games, now might be the time to hook it up to wifi before 4.1 is no longer allowed online (just make sure you set it to use the Update Blocking DNS 173.255.238.217 address during wifi setup!).

Really hoping this lasts until Friday so digital Kirby will unlock then I am fine to wait on 4.1 with the games I have at least until Smash releases (thank goodness that Sushido/Captain Toad/Warioware Gold are going to be available on 3DS!)!

[I wonder if Nintendo Labo cart will require 5.0 or not...if not would make it only the 3rd physical game I'll have gotten on Switch thus far. Here's hoping! :D]

Last edited by Ichii Giki,

BORODA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Rather tan a simple revision, these could also be packed and distributed as if they were ordinary shipments, just like the PSP and its multiple revisions.
The fact that a new SoC update exists, indicate that they'll release a new board with new ways to work, to "circumvent" the exploit on the original one. What i think it'll happen is that they will release it in a "stealthy way", so that you don't notice it, unless you open your switch and check your board version/check the Console Serial, to see if they changed it to reflect the new hardware.
They will, no doubt, do like that and it's okay. I already got a switch on 3.0.1 and I'm fine with it, the only thing that would piss me off is an updated hardware with exclusive games like New 3DS.

Ichii Giki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello darkness my old friend..

eShop/online services are still accessible on 4.1 as of today 2018/3/15 (just connected to eShop a few moments ago). The grace period will likely last until the release of Kirby at least at this point. There's still time left!

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
eShop/online services are still accessible on 4.1 as of today 2018/3/15 (just connected to eShop a few moments ago). The grace period will likely last until the release of Kirby at least at this point. There's still time left!
Can anyone else confirm this? I'd like to buy a few eshop games but obv too scared that it might update if I try to get into the eshop

Ichii Giki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone else confirm this? I'd like to buy a few eshop games but obv too scared that it might update if I try to get into the eshop

Switch won't force an update; as long as you're careful and don't click any button for update, you are safe to try and grab stuff from the eShop.

Furthermore, I just checked again and I was able to access the eShop (US and Japanese) as well as play a round in Splatoon 2: 4.1 grace period continues!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?