Nintendo Switch Doesn't Support WPA-2 Enterprise

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by mangotowel, Mar 9, 2017.

1. mangotowel
    OP

mangotowel Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2016
    United States
    This is pretty disappointing since they advertised the switch as a university device and most universitys have a WPA-2 enterprise security login. (needs an id and a password)

2. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    Just create a wifi hotspot with your phone or computer, or buy a cheap wifi AP router. Or you could just buy the lan adapter.

I was under the impression it does support portal access based wifi, do you not even see the ssid?

you could also contact the IT department and give them the mac address of your device and they will connect you. Just don't mention that it's a switch just say it's a tablet or something. Although most universities have a deditcated network for gaming, like I said you just have to provide them with the mac address to gain access.

Have you tried logging into the guest wifi network? That one is usually not enterprise.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard, Mar 10, 2017
  3. mangotowel
    OP

mangotowel Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2016
    United States
    Not the ssid, wpa-2 enterprise requires a unique set of login credentials and password. The switch doesnt't give you the option to set the login username and skips straight to the password input. Also my campus sadly doesn't have a guest login. I understand about other solutions, but it's just cumbersome lugging extra hardware around or contactin campus staff just to get into wifi when nintendo could've just supported it to begin with.

4. oji

oji GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2012
    Russia
    In Soviet Russia you're the Location
    It's a home console after all, your enterprise configuration is not what most of us use.

5. mangotowel
    OP

mangotowel Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2016
    United States
    It's also a portable device, and it shouldn't be hard to support it even if it's not what most people use. My old crappy android phone can support it, why can't Nintendo? It seems people don't really care about having more support and features though, so ill just leave it at this.

TheVinAnator, VMM, shaneod and 3 others like this.
  6. jerzmob

jerzmob GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2007
    United States
    Oh my these Nintendo fangirls. Seriously stop trying to get around Nintendo's Ls. The switch is flawed in almost every direction & this plague will only grow because you fangirls are fangirls are not speaking up about but rather making excuses.

[​IMG]

7. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    When?

Anyway, Mr Wizard gave you plenty of ways to get on at college, if none of them work, the problem is them, not Nintendo.

pelago and Mr. Wizard like this.
  8. oji

oji GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2012
    Russia
    You're right, it's a portable device, but it's sole purpose is entertainment. Meanwhile any android phone, despite of it's age & params, is a universal device, which can be used in personally or at work so it have to support a more wide range of technologies. I'm not complaining about a lack of support something like VMware AirWatch on my Switch & use a much more basic Parent Control app. Same for EAP, which clearly isn't a usual case in a home setup. But if there're a lot of students in universities who use Switch & call to a Nintendo support for a connectivity problem, it's may be added sometime later.

pelago and mangotowel like this.
  9. TerraPhantm

TerraPhantm GBAtemp Regular

Jul 27, 2007
    United States
    I mean the 18-25 demographic is a pretty important one, and a significant portion of those guys are going to be students at university. It probably should have been something they implemented.

DrkBeam, VMM and Ra1d like this.
  10. oji

oji GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2012
    Russia
    So if most universities provide network access in WPA2-EAP, all these sorehead students with Switches have to spam Nintendo Support to force this feature to be added ASAP.

11. mozziedoo

mozziedoo Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2016
    Inkopolis Sky-High Apartment Complex
    Uh, what? This is a thread about how the Switch apparently doesn't support WPA2-E. Nobody's making excuses except for the fact that a few people have stated that, simply, "it's a home console", "it's a portable device", etc. This is not a thread about the Switch's flaws in general. Stop trying to brigade this topic with your opinions.

Anyways, I agree about the whole LAN adapter + router + etc thing, with the addition of at home, using a USB-C male to USB-A female connector, however on the go... use a phone, perhaps?

osaka35 likes this.
  12. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    I have yet to see a console that does WPA2 enterprise. It also seems that captive portal logons are more common for most public hotspots, including unis.
    Maybe if you bug nintendo enough they'll add it. Or bug your uni IT room to setup a network for unsupported devices.

13. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    yeah...who cares i have a lan connection

14. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Has it occurred to you to do actual work during class time? And you can wait until you get home to play an online match. And even when I was at residence, I just had a cheap $20 router plugged into the Ethernet port in my room that i connected everything to.

Bladexdsl likes this.
  15. spiderman1216

spiderman1216 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2016
    Canada
    It's a portable device, also what if he doesn't have work to do, man these excuses.

Ra1d likes this.
  16. mangotowel
    OP

mangotowel Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2016
    United States
    I have long breaks in between classes, please don't just assume.

spiderman1216 likes this.
  17. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    I didn't even know something like WPA2 Enterprise exists. Do other consoles support it?

18. sigboe

sigboe Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2016
    Norway
    Not other nintendo consoles. (for refrence the phone I had 10 years ago did support it)

19. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Do other non-Nintendo consoles support it?

20. sigboe

sigboe Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2016
    Norway
    I didn't try to bring my PS3 to work, I can try and ask, I think we have a few PS3 and Xbox360 in the office. (not updated because their not used as much)