Hardware Nintendo Switch Doesn't Support WPA-2 Enterprise

mangotowel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is pretty disappointing since they advertised the switch as a university device and most universitys have a WPA-2 enterprise security login. (needs an id and a password)

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is pretty disappointing since they advertised the switch as a university device and most universitys have a WPA-2 enterprise security login. (needs an id and a password)

Just create a wifi hotspot with your phone or computer, or buy a cheap wifi AP router. Or you could just buy the lan adapter.

I was under the impression it does support portal access based wifi, do you not even see the ssid?

you could also contact the IT department and give them the mac address of your device and they will connect you. Just don't mention that it's a switch just say it's a tablet or something. Although most universities have a deditcated network for gaming, like I said you just have to provide them with the mac address to gain access.

Have you tried logging into the guest wifi network? That one is usually not enterprise.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,

mangotowel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not the ssid, wpa-2 enterprise requires a unique set of login credentials and password. The switch doesnt't give you the option to set the login username and skips straight to the password input. Also my campus sadly doesn't have a guest login. I understand about other solutions, but it's just cumbersome lugging extra hardware around or contactin campus staff just to get into wifi when nintendo could've just supported it to begin with.

mangotowel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a home console after all, your enterprise configuration is not what most of us use.

It's also a portable device, and it shouldn't be hard to support it even if it's not what most people use. My old crappy android phone can support it, why can't Nintendo? It seems people don't really care about having more support and features though, so ill just leave it at this.

jerzmob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh my these Nintendo fangirls. Seriously stop trying to get around Nintendo's Ls. The switch is flawed in almost every direction & this plague will only grow because you fangirls are fangirls are not speaking up about but rather making excuses.

aea4aab84f4f2ff4bec1ef1ab77184f4.jpg

oji

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
It's also a portable device, and it shouldn't be hard to support it even if it's not what most people use. My old crappy android phone can support it, why can't Nintendo? It seems people don't really care about having more support and features though, so ill just leave it at this.
You're right, it's a portable device, but it's sole purpose is entertainment. Meanwhile any android phone, despite of it's age & params, is a universal device, which can be used in personally or at work so it have to support a more wide range of technologies. I'm not complaining about a lack of support something like VMware AirWatch on my Switch & use a much more basic Parent Control app. Same for EAP, which clearly isn't a usual case in a home setup. But if there're a lot of students in universities who use Switch & call to a Nintendo support for a connectivity problem, it's may be added sometime later.

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're right, it's a portable device, but it's sole purpose is entertainment. Meanwhile any android phone, despite of it's age & params, is a universal device, which can be used in personally or at work so it have to support a more wide range of technologies. I'm not complaining about a lack of support something like VMware AirWatch on my Switch & use a much more basic Parent Control app. Same for EAP, which clearly isn't a usual case in a home setup. But if there're a lot of students in universities who use Switch & call to a Nintendo support for a connectivity problem, it's may be added sometime later.
I mean the 18-25 demographic is a pretty important one, and a significant portion of those guys are going to be students at university. It probably should have been something they implemented.

sqwyd

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Australia
Oh my these Nintendo fangirls. Seriously stop trying to get around Nintendo's Ls. The switch is flawed in almost every direction & this plague will only grow because you fangirls are fangirls are not speaking up about but rather making excuses.

aea4aab84f4f2ff4bec1ef1ab77184f4.jpg

Uh, what? This is a thread about how the Switch apparently doesn't support WPA2-E. Nobody's making excuses except for the fact that a few people have stated that, simply, "it's a home console", "it's a portable device", etc. This is not a thread about the Switch's flaws in general. Stop trying to brigade this topic with your opinions.

Anyways, I agree about the whole LAN adapter + router + etc thing, with the addition of at home, using a USB-C male to USB-A female connector, however on the go... use a phone, perhaps?

Reactions: osaka35

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I have yet to see a console that does WPA2 enterprise. It also seems that captive portal logons are more common for most public hotspots, including unis.
Maybe if you bug nintendo enough they'll add it. Or bug your uni IT room to setup a network for unsupported devices.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Has it occurred to you to do actual work during class time? And you can wait until you get home to play an online match. And even when I was at residence, I just had a cheap $20 router plugged into the Ethernet port in my room that i connected everything to.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

spiderman1216

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Has it occurred to you to do actual work during class time? And you can wait until you get home to play an online match. And even when I was at residence, I just had a cheap $20 router plugged into the Ethernet port in my room that i connected everything to.
It's a portable device, also what if he doesn't have work to do, man these excuses.

Reactions: Ra1d

mangotowel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have long breaks in between classes, please don't just assume.

Reactions: spiderman1216

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn