Iceman4Ever

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Hi everyone
I have an opportunity of buying a used dev kit along with a 32GB game card for dev grey joy cons and a power adapter @150$.
Before buying it I need your opinions
Does it play normally as a retail kit?
Can it be hombrewed?
Is it even worth buying?
Any other benefits of it you guys know except game development for sure.
BTW I already have a couple of unpatched Switches.
Thanking you all in advance.

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You cannot use retail-signed games on a devkit Switch, even if flashed to a dev card. It *may* be possible to re-sign a retail game image to run on a devkit (either as NSP or a cartridge image) but this will require extra steps on a PC, and you won't be able to play those games online with other retail systems.

Also, I don't think there are any tools available to do said re-signing for Switch titles.

Reactions: MUDD_BR

Iceman4Ever

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Ok. But can it be hombrewed like a normal switch?
And are these PC tools required available freely?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on what you want to do with it, if you want an unit to run homebrew and backup just get an unpatched unit, you probably can't do much with the dev kit since you are not a developer, $150 is a bargain though let someone else who need it more have it, such as SciresM.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone
I have an opportunity of buying a used dev kit along with a 32GB game card for dev grey joy cons and a power adapter @150$.
Before buying it I need your opinions
Does it play normally as a retail kit?
Can it be hombrewed?
Is it even worth buying?
Any other benefits of it you guys know except game development for sure.
BTW I already have a couple of unpatched Switches.
Thanking you all in advance.

They can’t run retail encrypted software.

They can’t be hacked unless they’re on 6.1.0 or below (even then your mileage may vary). Though hacking them is pretty pointless.

It’s definitely worth it at $150. Having a dump of a more recent dev firmware would be nice for some people.

Also, is it an EDEV, SDEV, or HDEV?

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,

Iceman4Ever

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
They can’t run retail encrypted software.

They can’t be hacked unless they’re on 6.1.0 or below (even then your mileage may vary). Though hacking them is pretty pointless.

It’s definitely worth it at $150. Having a dump of a more recent dev firmware would be nice for some people.

Also, is it an EDEV, SDEV, or HDEV?
Not sure about the model but i think its a SDev or eDev. I'll ask him about the current firmware it is sitting on also.
Its just a collectable I can't use it or hack it (no point of doing it). Can I code or develop something on it I am a software engineer definitely not a game developer. Just wanted to know what purpose it can be of usefulness for me.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure about the model but i think its a SDev or eDev. I'll ask him about the current firmware it is sitting on also.
Its just a collectable I can't use it or hack it (no point of doing it). Can I code or develop something on it I am a software engineer definitely not a game developer. Just wanted to know what purpose it can be of usefulness for me.

Hm, does it look like a retail unit, or is it thicker with additional ports on the top of the unit, and has not battery? fwiw if it’s fusee gelee vulnerable, you can easily downgrade to a lower firmware if it’s too high to hack it and run CFW (dev units only have 1 fuse burnt for everything from 3.0.0-9.0.1 and don’t have to deal with gamecard fuse shit), devkits do still have some restrictions iirc, I can supply a copy of 4.1.0 if necessary.

Iceman4Ever

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Hm, does it look like a retail unit, or is it thicker with additional ports on the top of the unit, and has not battery? fwiw if it’s fusee gelee vulnerable, you can easily downgrade to a lower firmware if it’s too high to hack it and run CFW (dev units only have 1 fuse burnt for everything from 3.0.0-9.0.1 and don’t have to deal with gamecard fuse shit), devkits do still have some restrictions iirc, I can supply a copy of 4.1.0 if necessary.

Its same as a normal retail switch in size and shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its same as a normal retail switch in size and shape.

Then it’s a EDEV. Those are physically identical to retail consoles, but they have some different fuses burnt (ex. RCM entry button combo fuse is set to 0, so you can enter RCM by just holding VOLUME UP on boot) , run a special firmware, and have different prodinfos (that have more keys/certs).

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,

Iceman4Ever

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Then it’s a EDEV. Those are physically identical to retail consoles, but they have some different fuses burnt, run a special firmware, and have different prodinfos (that have more keys/certs).

Does firmware matter for edev kit ?
Can it enter RCM mode ?

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does firmware matter for edev kit ?
Can it enter RCM mode ?

Sorta, yea, 7.0.0+ is effectively locked out. That’s because keys needed to sign/encrypt sept are different on dev units, Scires (afaik) doesn’t have the dev versions of those keys, so he can’t sign sept for dev units. Downgrading to lower firms is fairly simple though.
Yes, you can enter RCM on them by holding volume up on boot (no need for a jig or anything). FG patched dev units do exist afaik though.

Iceman4Ever

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Sorta, yea, 7.0.0+ is effectively locked out. That’s because keys needed to sign/encrypt sept are different on dev units, Scires (afaik) doesn’t have the dev versions of those keys, so he can’t sign sept for dev units. Downgrading to lower firms is fairly simple though.
Yes, you can enter RCM on them by holding volume up on boot (no need for a jig or anything). FG patched dev units do exist afaik though.

Firmware is 6.0

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firmware is 6.0

Atmosphere might just work(tm) on it then, but I don’t know for sure. AMS doesn’t get tested on dev units, but (partial) support for them is implemented. If you do buy it an decide to try AMS, make a nand backup beforehand (obviously:P)

Iceman4Ever

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Atmosphere might just work(tm) on it then, but I don’t know for sure. AMS doesn’t get tested on dev units, but (partial) support for them is implemented. If you do buy it an decide to try AMS, make a nand backup beforehand (obviously:P)

Sure. And thanks for your support.

Reactions: ZachyCatGames

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: What the heck is that emote SylverReZ using?