Hacking Nintendo switch cfw state?

Darksabre72

Blue Falcon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i suggest getting a switch as early as possible because they are planning to make a motherboard revision soon, also freeshop seems like isn't going to be possible on the switch due to the way Nintendo has their servers set up just like @TheCyberQuake said, and possibly keeping their servers really protected since they didn't do so much on the 3ds and wii/wii u.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To OP:

Buy a Switch before the new Switch units are shipped, don't connect it to the internet unless the CFW release will tell you.

To everyone: Imo there should be a rule that p****y shouldn't be discussed further when it gets out of hand like this, and yes, I block it out on purpose.
It will happen eventually, but please keep it for your damn selves.

Reactions: Insighted

DarkKaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
LOL more like direct links are not allowed, we pretty much welcome piracy here, when a "backup loader" is released it will be on the front page with a link and a guide.
That still doesn't encourage piracy and we're not welcoming it. It is still a backup loader. And yes, I'm aware that a lot of the users just want free games, but it's not a good thing for this forum.
Just because there's a loophole in the terms of service doesn't mean people aren't walking on thin ice and you know it..
At least refer to it as backup loading instead of straight up piracy. Even though we all know what typically ends up happening it makes you look a lot less immature, you're not pissing people off and you won't have mods breathing down your neck.

lembi2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Why is freeshop impossible? It even works on the psvita (and I guess Sony has better security measures in place compared to Nin)

"Freeshop" won't be a thing for a while due to the way Nintendo have implemented their security. Each console has a unique certificate that is generated at buikd and stored within the console. This certificate is validated when you visit the eshop and try to download anything (free or paid)

If everyone started to visit the eshop with the same console ID/certificate then Nintendo would be able to see this and just start blanket banning certs.

This has been discussed before and the general consensus was that something like freeshop or Hikari's WiiUSBHelper is probably not going to happen

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That still doesn't encourage piracy and we're not welcoming it. It is still a backup loader. And yes, I'm aware that a lot of the users just want free games, but it's not a good thing for this forum.
Just because there's a loophole in the terms of service doesn't mean people aren't walking on thin ice and you know it..
At least refer to it as backup loading instead of straight up piracy. Even though we all know what typically ends up happening it makes you look a lot less immature, you're not pissing people off and you won't have mods breathing down your neck.
Erm... Actually, I personally don't condone, encourage or discourage piracy... but regarding the site, there is no loophole in the ToS.

The rules in this forums are built only to avoid getting legal problems, the reason for the rules were not for discouraging piracy, judging or witch hunting... not at all, only to avoid legal problems.

I might or might not share those views, but the principles behind the temps allow, and even encourage talking about backup loaders. But as you said, it is convenient to use appropriate terminology as backup loaders to avoid legal problems.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You're literally allowed to discuss piracy here. The only mods breathing down my neck are the ones trying to get into my pants.

TheSynthax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing. Switch homebrew is in its infancy. You won't be seeing something like freeshop (or if it's even possible) for a very long time. You should also hurry and buy a Switch right now and keep it in the firmware it's on because there's most likely going to be a new hardware revision of the Switch that's going to be released soon that will take away a certain vulnerability that every current Switches have right now. So if you want to hack it in the near future, you should get one as soon as you can.
There's little reason to keep an old FW.

Insighted

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's little reason to keep an old FW.
Not necessarily. If you want to softmod and not deal with small, little RCM jigs/paperclips/wires/etc., lower is better.
5.0+ will not get a softmod(at least in the foreseeable future), where as all other firmwares will, some time, depending on the exact version.

Reactions: Girtana1

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm waiting for a backup loader for switch, purely because they have released the same Mario kart I already paid for on wiiU. First time since snes a Nintendo console hasn't had its own exclusive Mario kart and they have recycled an old one.
Feels like yesterday I was forced to buy a WiiU because they shut down the original Wii servers to force people onto it, now they put the same game on the new console (because they didn't sell enough the first time around) and plan to charge for online play, screw that. I hope the switch is blown wide open, don't release the same games twice in a row, take the loss and make new ones. Don't get thinking you (Nintendo) can charge for online, Nintendos online is free, always has been and always should be.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm waiting for a backup loader for switch, purely because they have released the same Mario kart I already paid for on wiiU. First time since snes a Nintendo console hasn't had its own exclusive Mario kart and they have recycled an old one.
Feels like yesterday I was forced to buy a WiiU because they shut down the original Wii servers to force people onto it, now they put the same game on the new console (because they didn't sell enough the first time around) and plan to charge for online play, screw that. I hope the switch is blown wide open, don't release the same games twice in a row, take the loss and make new ones. Don't get thinking you (Nintendo) can charge for online, Nintendos online is free, always has been and always should be.
Well based on your argument, you should be fine just not playing it at all on the switch because you already own it on wii u. Unless you want to play it on switch, which in that case means you feel there is some value there over the wii u version, and as such is at least worth some money right?
Otherwise there would be no need to pirate it on the switch when you already have it on wii u

Reactions: TAUSENN

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well based on your argument, you should be fine just not playing it at all on the switch because you already own it on wii u. Unless you want to play it on switch, which in that case means you feel there is some value there over the wii u version, and as such is at least worth some money right?
Otherwise there would be no need to pirate it on the switch when you already have it on wii u
As someone in the same boat, I wouldn't pay $60 for an additional battle mode, new characters & karts, as well as double item boxes. I'm not trying to defend this guy, but I can see where he's coming from.

Reactions: DevMau5 and Chuardo

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone in the same boat, I wouldn't pay $60 for an additional battle mode, new characters & karts, as well as double item boxes. I'm not trying to defend this guy, but I can see where he's coming from.
But that doesn't mean it's worth nothing. If you don't think it's worth it then that's fine, but imo its not a valid excuse for piracy. If they see no added value they can just use it on the Wii u. If they want to use it on switch it means they see some kind of added value in that version.
And I'm not against piracy, I would be a hypocrite if I were. I'm just against using bs excuses to justify piracy. In the end, at least for those in first world countries, it's pretty much just because we are cheap and don't want to pay for games.

Reactions: DevMau5

bones123

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
God it's hard to resist saying "tomorrow", the 3DS scene was fun.

But seriously, it's Soon™. Give it a couple of months. Play Stardew Valley. Learn how to use Linux. Learn a programming language. Right now, if you're asking these questions, there's (very likely) nothing you can do to help anyway.

Reactions: Centergaming

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But that doesn't mean it's worth nothing. If you don't think it's worth it then that's fine, but imo its not a valid excuse for piracy. If they see no added value they can just use it on the Wii u. If they want to use it on switch it means they see some kind of added value in that version.
And I'm not against piracy, I would be a hypocrite if I were. I'm just against using bs excuses to justify piracy. In the end, at least for those in first world countries, it's pretty much just because we are cheap and don't want to pay for games.

It's worth very little considering it's the same version as WiiU but with proper battle mode that WiiU should have had anyway. Mk8 shouldn't be on switch, that's the WiiU game just like double dash wasn't re released with motion controls for wii. The switches portability adds nothing to the game and they should have made a fresh Mario kart for the switch. Gaming is getting more corrupt every day, even Nintendo is selling out to paid online Bs when they have very few good multiplayer online games in comparison to xb and ps

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb