Hacking Nintendo Switch Banning Hub & Warning

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't modded my switch yet, but asking in advance,
If someone uses emunand and is able to go between sysnand and the custom one, is it easy to make sure it's not connected to online when going to the custom one?
Or is it more just about turning off online (and go in airplane mode) when launching things from the sd card with emunand?

(I may still not fully understand how it works)

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If someone uses emunand and is able to go between sysnand and the custom one, is it easy to make sure it's not connected to online when going to the custom one?
Or is it more just about turning off online (and go in airplane mode) when launching things from the sd card with emunand?

you can setup a host file to block all Nintendo servers when booting into emu

jellybeangreen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have been using emunand since release. I don’t create any host files, dns etc. Because people forget if you take the switch with you to a different location. All your settings aren’t in place.

anyways, when I got my switch up the very first time. I just set up my switch like normal. Connect to WIFI, sign in and link your NNID etc. When on Home Screen, remove your WiFi settings. Put in to aeroplane mode. Ensure all other features are on for Jon cons etc, that’s it. Don’t run any games etc make sure no game card inserted. This will be your cleanest nand dump. Use the most recommended tool to take a sysnand dump. Do it three times. Then to a comparison. If they match done. You can then go back and enable WiFi on the switch on sysnand. With your nand dumps you can use these for your emunand. Set up emunand. Update to X firmware. Then back it up to a safe location, gdrive, NAS etc. I have all nand dumps with X firmware going from 4.1.0 up to 12.0. Reason for this, if something happens with your emunand after installing anything, your sd card dies. No worries just grab your latest emunand backup from your gdrive, nas etc and copy back over. Done.

some other things I do just to ensure I’m on sysnand / emunand. I use one micro sd for sysnand 256gb and a separate micro sd for emunand 512gb. I also have the black background for sysnand and white for emunand. This method I’ve been using with SXOS since launch and I have recently switched to Atmosphere, no issue. No ban risk.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by jellybeangreen2,
Reactions: Windsall

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have been using emunand since release. I don’t create any host files, dns etc. Because people forget if you take the switch with you to a different location. All your settings aren’t in place.

I hope this helps.

This method the dns host is on your sd card so any wi fi network you connect to will aby these rules
https://gbatemp.net/threads/90dns-d...-nintendo-servers.516234/page-28#post-9488528

This is the same as the host file on windows ("C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\host") its making these address loop back onto the device itself so if it tries to look up these address it will just go to the switch local ip meaning connection fails

jellybeangreen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This method the dns host is on your sd card so any wi fi network you connect to will aby these rules
https://gbatemp.net/threads/90dns-d...-nintendo-servers.516234/page-28#post-9488528

This is the same as the host file on windows ("C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\host") its making these address loop back onto the device itself so if it tries to look up these address it will just go to the switch local ip meaning connection fails
Good to know it’s been updated. But no need for internet on emunand for me. The day Nintendo create a new name server and your host file / 90DNS isn’t updated with the latest server info to block is your Switch banned and online gone.

Reactions: cubes and Windsall

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Good to know it’s been updated. But no need for internet on emunand for me. The day Nintendo create a new name server and your host file / 90DNS isn’t updated with the latest server info to block is your Switch banned and online gone.

Check the gitlab before you update the firmware for updates. A good measure to add to list if your concern

jellybeangreen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check the gitlab before you update the firmware for updates. A good measure to add to list if your concern
People don’t read firmware changelogs at the best of times. Good idea but the risk is still there. Each to their own. By keeping emunand offline your risk of ban is minimal if non-existent. Emunand + NSPs/XCI/duplicate tickets. Also your usages logs sent back to Nintendo would = a ban.

again personal choice.

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

anyways, when I got my switch up the very first time. I just set up my switch like normal. Connect to WIFI, sign in and link your NNID etc. When on Home Screen, remove your WiFi settings. Put in to aeroplane mode. Ensure all other features are on for Jon cons etc, that’s it. Don’t run any games etc make sure no game card inserted. This will be your cleanest nand dump. Use the most recommended tool to take a sysnand dump. Do it three times. Then to a comparison. If they match done. You can then go back and enable WiFi on the switch on sysnand. With your nand dumps you can use these for your emunand. Set up emunand. Update to X firmware. Then back it up to a safe location, gdrive, NAS etc. I have all nand dumps with X firmware going from 4.1.0 up to 12.0. Reason for this, if something happens with your emunand after installing anything, your sd card dies. No worries just grab your latest emunand backup from your gdrive, nas etc and copy back over. Done.

some other things I do just to ensure I’m on sysnand / emunand. I use one micro sd for sysnand 256gb and a separate micro sd for emunand 512gb. I also have the black background for sysnand and white for emunand. This method I’ve been using with SXOS since launch and I have recently switched to Atmosphere, no issue. No ban risk.

I hope this helps.

I will do something like this and probably just not use my emunand online. I was also told there was the option 'incognito' and wonder if I should turn that on in case the switch could somehow connect to a random wifi hot spot (can that happen?).

do emunand backups include installed games and saves and all that? If so that could be useful but also use up a lot of space for back ups, so I doubt I would make more than 1 or 2 at most.

jellybeangreen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will do something like this and probably just not use my emunand online. I was also told there was the option 'incognito' and wonder if I should turn that on in case the switch could somehow connect to a random wifi hot spot (can that happen?).

do emunand backups include installed games and saves and all that? If so that could be useful but also use up a lot of space for back ups, so I doubt I would make more than 1 or 2 at most.

Thats exactly what I do. No need for internet on emunand.
As for incognito, I have heard and watch others use it. However the very first line on the GitHub is:

“This application does not remove all personal information from your Switch, and should not be treated as a true preventative measure against getting banned”

On this basis no one should be relying on these types of apps as 100% preventative.

Incognito will clear certain console identification information, but again if you logically go online with emunand and say update the firmware and Nintendo add something extra in place to reference. Incognito is redundant. - If your switch is in aeroplane mode it will never attempt to connect. - I know a friend at work who connected to Espoo when CDN downloads were possible in the early days, console banned. Whenever having internet connected to a modded console your console is always at risk of ban. 360, PS3, Switch. Been there done that. Just keep the modded part offline, no need for online in my personal opinion.

yes, emunand does hold games and saves if you took a backup.

Reactions: Windsall

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Lacius It's this last post here I was talking about, regarding incognito.
I was leaning towards just going offline, so it convinced me to go that route.

I'm not totally closed to using shops, but if I can find games elsewhere and use goldleaf to easily install them, then I don't mind being safe about it.

Veralyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Around 8 days ago i accidentally installed 2 nsp games on SYSnand (offline), after realizing i deleted the software ofcourse but i didnt restore my clean nand before i went online, i restored my nand yesterday. Will i be flagged for a ban? And if so how long does it generally take until it happends? So far i haven't been banned though.

When i went online i didn't do much, just log in pokemon unite to claim the daily rewards.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Around 8 days ago i accidentally installed 2 nsp games on SYSnand (offline), after realizing i deleted the software ofcourse but i didnt restore my clean nand before i went online, i restored my nand yesterday. Will i be flagged for a ban? And if so how long does it generally take until it happends? So far i haven't been banned though.

When i went online i didn't do much, just log in pokemon unite to claim the daily rewards.

sound like you got flagged for a ban already, restoring your NAND doesn't prevent a ban.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
That I don't know but I do know you got flagged most likely, maybe a few days to maybe a few weeks, it up to them when to ban you.
It took them a few months to ban me when I accidentally went online in SX OS. I was in the middle of playing the FinalFest on Splatoon 2, in the last few hours of the "last-ever Splatfest" (That was a fucking lie...) and before I could finish, I got the error message, looked it up, and it was an error code that indicated I was console-banned.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16