Nintendo Switch Android TV

999sian Mar 20, 2017.

1. The only reason I'd want Android to run on the Switch was (was) to play Mario Run but I just don't care about that game anymore. Nintendo took too long.

2. Felek666

Felek666 retarded memekid which no one likes

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Well if Switch even gets android, then i will probably install Discord on it. [and osu! clone]

3. Nemix77

Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    I'm looking forward to this if we can get the Shield TV's OS on the Switch customized of course.

4. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's scalie trash

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Well, android on switch MIGHT be possible. According to former cyanogen CEO Kirt McMaster, switch has "bits of android" on it.

le sauce

Last edited by DeslotlCL, Mar 21, 2017
  5. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Maybe once it does, people will actually be interesting in porting PCSX to it, unlike the Wii U side of things. :ph34r::creep:

Last edited by the_randomizer, Mar 21, 2017
  6. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Switch has libstagefright, Android's media decoder. That's about it.

Also, for the Master System vs. Game Gear comparison: The two systems are virtually identical. The primary differences are the smaller viewport (Game Gear has a 160x144 window inside of the 256x192 screen) and wider Color RAM (12-bit vs. 6-bit). That makes porting from one to another fairly straightforward.

TheCyberQuake likes this.
  7. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    the CEO of "cyanogen" is a moron and a scum.

so they turn down Microsoft for billions lol no and Nintendo too lol no.

Said bullshit about Google and Android. and screwed over One Plus.

if this man had a gold laying hen he would kill it right after the 1st egg and sell the egg for a bubblegum.

ploggy and Pleng like this.
  8. Felek666

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Fun fact: He actually regrets it [lmao]

9. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    What a lot of you seem to be missing is, yea sure the switch & nvidia shield tv are similar but, from what I can see the switch is an nvidia jetson tx1 developer board with a screen & battery. What does that mean? That means it shouldn't be hard at all to get Linux for tegra running on the switch, which means android for the switch could be a possibility. What would be even better is getting the switch operating system & games running on a tx1 or shield tv. Since these devices run off a power adapter & not batteries the cpu gpu & ram can run at higher clock speeds. Which means switch games should run higher fps & possibly higher resolution.

10. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I recently got an Amazon Fire Stick.

It sucks. A lot of apps don't work. Games can only be played with Amazon controller (unless you sideload third-party controller apps which aren't guaranteed to work). Kodi's IPTV addon doesn't actually stream live TV. You can only speak english for the "Alexa" voice control. I was particularly disappointed that the Jack Box games don't work except for Drawful 2.

My family just uses it for Plex, Netflix, and Hulu.

Don't get Android TV.

11. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I'm sorry, but saying "don't get ANY android tv set because this one I got sucks" is kinda stupid. You are generalizing all android tv off of your experience with the extremely closed environment that Amazon gives you. Not all android tv devices do that. Plus this wasn't even really on topic.

12. Felek666

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    It was created to just watch stuff on it. It has weak hardware that's why most games don't work or are incompatible with it.

TheCyberQuake likes this.
  13. owek1

owek1 Master Sword Wielder

Aug 16, 2016
    Australia
    errr i dont get why anyone would want android on this thing. Just for streaming and horrible mobile games with in-app purchase??? i just can't..........

14. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    Getting android running on it is actually the better case here.

1) We get access to being able to make and use our own homebrew and apps, games and emulators.
    2) Nintendo Switch games stay locked down, blocking piracy from occuring.

Low piracy, with Linux/Android being used for our homebrew and emulators. This means the best of both worlds. Nintendo stays happy, and we stay happy too.

15. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Tempallica

May 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I'd like to see Android for things like ppsspp and psxe, for old pc emulation like Diablo 2 and Fallout and I'd quite like to make an Android VR headset with a screen that size just for fun.

That's about it though and I'm not sure we will ever see Android on Switch tbh.

16. Kodi is rubbish but many still praise it because it's a way they get to watch movies/shows for free. I mean, if you're gonna pirate it, then download them instead of watch crappy streams.

Pluupy and THEELEMENTKH like this.
  17. punderino

punderino aka Big-PeePee Swinger

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Kansas City, Missouri
    But, the original xbox wasn't open source, and very well documented. Androids is. If that's what the guy was talking about.

18. Drakia

Drakia GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2008
    Canada
    Context is important. Read the post I quoted and was replying to.

GerbilSoft likes this.
  19. punderino

punderino aka Big-PeePee Swinger

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Work

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Most people won't check the context either, just read and think, welp, no Android port. lmao

20. jt_1258

jt_1258 Human?

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere
    there are some good games on android, they just get drowned out by all the shitty ones sadly, I know it likely won't happen but getting an android os on the switch would be so nice for getting some of the applications on it on the switch, would be cool not to have to also take my tablet around

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted