Nintendo sends DMCA notices for "syspatch-updater" homebrew app by iTotalJustice

AngryMario.jpg

Nintendo is back at it again with their latest and most well known franchise, the DMCA, and this time they went after quite a handful of GitHub repositories with their DMCA strikes.

The latest and most notable repository attacked by Nintendo's DMCA is the "sigpatch-updater" homebrew application by iTotalJustice (alongside all of its forks) just a few days ago. This isn't the first time for iTotalJustice however, since he got another DMCA takedown previously for the standalone "sipatches" repository before back in 2022. The application worked as its title implies, by basically updating the signature patches from within the Nintendo Switch console itself. This seems like yet another instance of Nintendo trying to stomp on any kind of possibility to run unsigned software on a homebrewed Nintendo Switch, be it actual homebrew applications or pirated ones. Even though the source code is down, the patcher itself seems to still be hosted in other websites, alongside other DMCA taken-down tools.

Unfortunately, "sigpatch-updater" isn't the only software hit with the latest attacks by Nintendo and its crusade against copyright-circumvention tactics, as Incognito_RCM by ScandalUK (this one still being live at the time of writing), kezplez-nx by shchmue, and another fork of Lockpick_RCM by SpaceNX have also been the target for Nintendo's DMCA, adding up to the instances of Nintendo going after homebrew projects for the Nintendo Switch, with one of the first reported being the original Lockpick_RCM, which got being taken down last year with a DMCA notice by Nintendo's lawyers, claiming the same copyright circumvention tactic.

With all of the current legal events taking place in regards to Nintendo both in regards to homebrew apps and Switch emulator Yuzu, it's most likely that they will continue to scour the internet and GitHub repositories for any kind of semblance of alleged copyright-circumvention methods, applications, or even guides to dump Switch keys of any sort. The legal clarity regarding fair and personal use when it comes to copyright-protected technological devices are still unclear to make any kind of counter-claim against their DMCA notices.

:arrow: iTotalJustice GitHub
:arrow: DMCA notice for the "sigpatch-updater" repository
:arrow: DMCA notices for Lockpick_RCM, Incognito_RCM and kezplez-nx
:arrow: "sigpatch-updater" backup at Archive.org

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since they've really upped their DMCA attacks lately, either a rather large firmware update is coming (lol) or they're preparing for switch 2. We know some of the exact hardware they're going to use for switch 2 (latest-ish nvidia soc. think 3050 power, but with 4000 series upscaling tech backported), minus some specifics (how much ram, for one). 100% going to be backward compatible.

Which is why we need to pirate to actually have ownership.
Aye, my sentiments exactly.

As long as there's a way to buy it used, that's how I'm going to buy it. I might buy new for indie developers, or a series I want to support, but mainly just used is the way to go. If there isn't a way to buy it used, then I just won't buy it.

If ever a day comes when it's digital/rental only, then I just won't buy anymore. definitely won't rent. And I suspect "piracy" will be given the credit for plummeting sales, and not "company makes bad decisions".

If we could have some consumer rights when it came to digital goods, that'd be great, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Maybe the EU will come up with something, but I doubt even they will be able to make it happen.

Last edited by osaka35,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If we could have some consumer rights when it came to digital goods, that'd be great, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Maybe the EU will come up with something, but I doubt even they will be able to make it happen.

Hard to see that happening, gov has always favoured big corpos instead of the usual citizen, in any country, but in the US that is way more prominent.
They prefer to protect their billion dollar corpo friends than to give customers any kind of legal right to enjoy what they bought for years to come, despite hardware malfunction or degradation.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget that they're not selling any legacy games from their older consoles.
They Nintendo Switch Online service is nothing but a rental/streaming service in the same kind of Netflix, sure you can play/see them, but good luck owning a thing.

This is Nintendo's way of not giving customers ownership of anything so they don't have to deal with the whole "emulation is legal" non-sense, even though they hypocritically do it themselves, don't see why them doing it makes them legal against the customers.
It’s not even a good game rental service either

They have such a large catalog of games I don’t understand why they trickle feed us like 6 mid games a year. I really expected many more gameboy games by now. Not even pokemon(but it would be nice)

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're pulling a Gamecube -> Wii kind of thing, just with some revamped (and non-easy-RCM) hardware.
Good since this means people could start looking elsewhere for flaws to get into the console.
We have though. On a software side the Switch literally has nothing that can compromise kernel. If they just port over the current OS then there is nothing we can do on a software side. It would be entirely reliant on a hardware fault.

Reactions: RednaxelaNnamtra

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, at this point I don't blame Nintendo anymore considering for the past few years at least (since 2021 with Metroid Dread) people have been releasing big games a week before release on the internet and playing them at that. I'm sure most of the people saying they hate Nintendo and aren't buying anything from them again are the same that never bought anything from them or did the whole playing big game before release thing.

Don't want Nintendo to do this? Don't pirate new releases, simple.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Honesty I find it ridiculous that Nintendo is only caring now of all times when the 3DS and Wii U are dead and they are launching a new console next year. This is the kind of things they should have been doing from year one of the Switch launch.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
If they truly wanted people to stop hacking their systems, they'd stop putting SD card slots on them. Just bake in a 512GB soldered eMMC and be done with external storage. And don't include a web browser to run webkit exploits, for fuck's sake... They're being so STUPID about it.

Reactions: slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they truly wanted people to stop hacking their systems, they'd stop putting SD card slots on them. Just bake in a 512GB soldered eMMC and be done with external storage. And don't include a web browser to run webkit exploits, for fuck's sake... They're being so STUPID about it.
Then we just FTP to the storage. :)

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The Switch didn't really need either/or. I'd bet people would have found a way to access the internal storage.

anotherthing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, at this point I don't blame Nintendo anymore considering for the past few years at least (since 2021 with Metroid Dread) people have been releasing big games a week before release on the internet and playing them at that. I'm sure most of the people saying they hate Nintendo and aren't buying anything from them again are the same that never bought anything from them or did the whole playing big game before release thing.
I can most certainly lay this at their feet. The Switch is little more than a tablet with a built-in XBox controller, using hardware only slightly better than the Shield tablet that came out three years before it which is hampered by underclocking to make the battery last longer. Any impediment to running the software on the PC in terms of physical hardware is shut down by having a docked mode.

You still can't get the 3DS/Wii U era experience on a PC, even though the PC can run 3DS and Wii-U titles with emulation. You're not getting the 3D, you're not getting the StreetPasses, you're not playing around on the MiiVerse, you don't have a touch screen controller in your lap, and the whole laundry list of other things.

Having under powered hardware and making up for it with offering an experience is one thing, just having under powered hardware and crossing your fingers and hoping having multiple encrypted keys in the console and the software with an online service keeping track of your user id is enough is an altogether different thing.

If the Switch 2 is a real thing, and just a more powerful Switch, Nintendo is in for a long, hard road.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone