Hacking Nintendo screwed me over

enothehippie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I did what I am sure a few people like me have done.

I wanted a 3DS XL, so I sold my old one, went to the store to purchase a XL a month later a, and I have been overjoyed with it!

however, since I wasn't able to do a system transfer, I can no longer access the 20 or so titles I had downloaded onto the system.

They pretty much said at the customer service ( which is usually excellent ) to buy them again.
I have these titles listed on my club nintendo account, along with the serial numbers of the 3DS XL I purchased, perfect proof that I have bought them.

I'm against pirating for the most part, but crap like this makes me want to. I shouldn't have to buy my games twice.

If this were steam or Microsoft, or pretty much anyone else, I would just redownload and get on with my life. I am seriously a nintendo fanboy, but they screwed up. I can't wait till the system is hacked so I can get my games back.

rant....

loco365

Trophies
XP
If you wanted a 3DS XL why did you sell your old one?
Probably for the same reason I sold my DSi to get my 3DS - Selling the old system would provide the funds for the new one.

I missed out on the system transfer, so I had to redownload some of my DSi titles.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Many stores give a nice discount to the 3DS XL when you trade in your original 3DS.
That being said, the shop should have offered a system transfer, because dollars to donuts, they know this would have been an issue.

Reactions: 1 person

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
The issue is that you shouldn't HAVE to do something like a system transfer; if you bought them, they should be yours to use on any system you want. Nintendo fails miserably with this and I refuse to support them by buying their products. I've never had this issue with the 12 PSP's and 2 Vita's I've gone through.

Reactions: 1 person

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I transferred at the shop, using my phone tethering as Wifi, it doesn't use any data. It only verifies that the transfer can be done and then again at the end to tell Nintendo it's done.

I even backed up my original SD Card first on the PC, copied back to new SD after the transfer and it worked.

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
Looking forward to trading my 3Ds towards an XL, will do a system transfer through my phone. And pay only $110. Does the XL come with anything pre-installed?

enothehippie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I probably could have avoided it. I sold it on craigslist to get a higher price and I did. I make very little money due to being in an immigration process, so the only way in hell I could afford a 3DS XL was to sell my old 3DS.

The issue here is the fact that it is the expectation for a company to provide you with the rights to something when digitally downloaded. Every other company does it. Why? because it works, and it leaves the customer with a product that is protected from loss.

Think of it this way. The downloaded games are pretty much like physical property. There is only one. If I lose it, it's gone forever ( so I have just found out ). by making the games digital, you essentially make them immortal...it just seems like the logical thing to do.

then again, maybe my judgement is skewed from my recent loss..

also, no the 3DS doesn't come installed with anything special...unless you count an episode of dinosour office as special.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The issue is that you shouldn't HAVE to do something like a system transfer; if you bought them, they should be yours to use on any system you want. Nintendo fails miserably with this and I refuse to support them by buying their products. I've never had this issue with the 12 PSP's and 2 Vita's I've gone through.

Except then there's nothing stopping you from getting a bunch of 3DS and putting your games on the systems and giving it to friends. It's a way to prevent piracy really. The store should have told you that you needed to do a system transfer. They're protecting their asses and potential loss, it's a genius move on Nintendo's part.

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti

Except then there's nothing stopping you from getting a bunch of 3DS and putting your games on the systems and giving it to friends. It's a way to prevent piracy really. The store should have told you that you needed to do a system transfer. They're protecting their asses and potential loss, it's a genius move on Nintendo's part.

There are still other ways it could have been done. Ways that aren't so obtuse. Ways that would have accomplished the same goal.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

There are still other ways it could have been done. Ways that aren't so obtuse. Ways that would have accomplished the same goal.

Such as?

And what's wrong with the the retailer asking "so do you want to do a system transfer?" That's what I was asked when I went and bought my XL, but I was keeping my original 3DS.

The only gripe I have with System Transfer is I can't decide what files I want on my XL. I just want the 3D eShop games on my XL, not the ambassador or Gameboy games.

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti

Such as?

And what's wrong with the the retailer asking "so do you want to do a system transfer?" That's what I was asked when I went and bought my XL, but I was keeping my original 3DS.

The only gripe I have with System Transfer is I can't decide what files I want on my XL. I just want the 3D eShop games on my XL, not the ambassador or Gameboy games.

Well one way could be to go onto the Eshop and "lock" your account, and it would then delete any shop content on the 3DS except for saves, spitting out a one-use code that could be used on any other 3DS system. That way you could sell your system, and pick up another at your leisure. Once you use that code, your eshop account is reactivated, and titles are redownloaded to your 3DS.

There really isn't any reason you need to have both 3DS systems to do a system transfer besides saving Nintendo a bit of bandwidth.

That being said, yes, doing a system transfer in the shop is a nice gesture, but it isn't required. In fact the retailer doesn't have to tell you shit about how system transfer works, and in the end the average naive gamer might end up being confused and frustrated that they have to pay for their downloadable titles twice.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully Nintendo realizes this mistake with the next handheld they release. I hate consoles in general that require you to have both at the same time, or you completely lose out on everything.

I know quite a few people who decided to pass on the XL due to all the hassle of transferring (Or simply not having the 200$ to pay out of pocket). I was lucky enough to have a store that just let me trade my 3DS towards it and take both home to transfer.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is not up to par with the likes of Steam to grant an account-only setup, and even with that, people exploit Steam's offline mode to get free games from their friends and anyone else who happens to have the login information. It would force those people not to connect online, and prevents them from online interaction. The 3DS is not nearly an online-savvy device, so the chance to exploit it becomes more possible had they done something like Steam. This, if anything, is the reason why they tied the downloads to the device instead of having them based on just an account.

That is my thinking anyways.

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its your own fault really. Not only should you have known System Tranfers are a thing, but also should have known to protect your digital games before you give them away on another system. I'm sure somewhere in the 3DS and eShop terms you agreed to accept these terms/problems should you encounter them.

Though I do agree that games should be locked to your club Nintendo account, and not your physical units, doesn't change the fact that your problem is the result of your ignorance of Nintendo's very user-unfriendly regulations/terms/systems. Its been known since Nintendo DSi ware that games you buy digitally is LOCKED to your system's ID and can only be played on the system (unless you system transfer) is/was bought on (also in the terms you agreed to).

Of course, your ignorance might be linked to the fact that you said you didn't like to pirate... Any or most DS/3DS pirates know why Nintendo is so tightly wound, and why/how they can't copy/play digital-bought games

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can just delete them. They're saved in the eshop downloads section so you could download them if you ever wanted to in the future.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's OP's fault for not doing enough homework on system transfer. Sure Nintendo could've lock download contents to Club Nintendo account, but then you have people abusing this method load games into multiple 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh man don't get the snowflakes worked up