Nintendo Responds to Concerns of Wii U Power

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Gamecube was weaker than the Xbox, but much more powerful than the PS2.

Despite that, the PS2 has the biggest library and is still the best selling console to date, and the GC was a commercial failure.

See Foxi's initial point too (as well as the above)...Nintendo lost the plot with respect to functionality by going their own way; it wasn't specs per se it was "innovation".
This is also the only concern about the WiiU for me, as from what I heard it will not use BluRay discs. I am *deathly afraid* of NinVDiscs of some sort that will completely destroy any multimedia capabilities the system may have in favour of being different and not paying royalties.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I am *deathly afraid* of NinVDiscs of some sort that will completely destroy any multimedia capabilities the system may have in favour of being different and not paying royalties.

No WiiVD player for you huh? ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Alright people why can't stop people whining about specs?

When WE are unlucky Sony an Microsoft release something that can be compared with Wiiu! Think of that! I don't think that this generation will be a huge step forward.

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So because of that single design flaw, the GC got stuck as a videogame system while both the PS2 and Xbox were media hubs during a time when DVD players and such were expensive, pushing those sales even further I'd assume.

Wow. Way to fuck up there.

Although, that makes me wonder why they couldn't make the Wii officially run DVDs.

Reactions: 1 person

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I know that personally, I'm not concerned a least bit. I never played any other platform, then Nintendo, and with every generation, Nintendo adds something and makes it "better" then the last one, and that's all that's important to me. Some generations do better some worse, however, I have no doubt that there will be number of games that will make me go O.O WOW!

Only thing is, when you read that next generation console will be weaker then current generation of competition, it just doesn't look good on the paper :D

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I am *deathly afraid* of NinVDiscs of some sort that will completely destroy any multimedia capabilities the system may have in favour of being different and not paying royalties.

I very much enjoy having one "box used for multimedia purposes and gaming" connected to the TV rather then multiple ones when this "one box" can easily do it all. Of course I have a separate shelf for some retro consoles right under the TV, but that's besides the point and doesn't mean that the "Primary Box" should be stripped off functionality that it could and should have by now, especially since it became a standard.

The age of gaming systems being just for gaming is over, it's been over for some time. In the last generation, the PS3 doubled as a DVD, BluRay and CD player, the XBox 360 doubled as a DVD and CD player and the Wii doubled as a paperweight.

So because of that single design flaw, the GC got stuck as a videogame system while both the PS2 and Xbox were media hubs during a time when DVD players and such were expensive, pushing those sales even further I'd assume.

Wow. Way to fuck up there.

Although, that makes me wonder why they couldn't make the Wii officially run DVDs.
They didn't want to pay royalties to the owners of the format, and yes, that was the only design flaw the Gamecube had that I can think of. Internal Storage would also be nice, but it was not a standard that generation - the PS2 needed an add-on for it, only the XBox had an HDD stock. Well... maybe a USB port would be nice, but now I'm just being picky.

Reactions: 2 people

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I very much enjoy having one "box used for multimedia purposes and gaming" connected to the TV rather then multiple ones when this "one box" can easily do it all. Of course I have a separate shelf for some retro consoles right under the TV, but that's besides the point and doesn't mean that the "Primary Box" should be stripped off functionality that it could and should have by now, especially since it became a standard.

The age of gaming systems being just for gaming is over, it's been over for some time. In the last generation, the PS3 doubled as a DVD, BluRay and CD player, the XBox 360 doubled as a DVD and CD player and the Wii doubled as a paperweight.
Weeeeell...... In its defense, it DOES have Netflix..... But that's all the Wii's got going for it.

And being the only media service on that system, you gotta pay for it....

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In the last generation, the PS3 doubled as a DVD, BluRay and CD player, the XBox 360 doubled as a DVD and CD player and the Wii doubled as a paperweight.

A+. Classic. 10/10. Would read again! :D
...I guess I could give the Wii points for having a web browser... A horrible web browser, but a browser none the less... :P

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, Nintendo reminds me of Apple "Don't worry about the specs, it's just magic, that's all you need to know."

What are you smoking? Nintendo has ALWAYS been about gameplay over graphics, and anybody who doesn't know that obviously doesn't play anything but "LOLOMFG GRAFUX! LETS FLAWK TO DAT GAEM NOW!" type games.

This is why I still say Nintendo is the only gaming company left in the world. Everybody else goes for the best looking, yet without seeing the real beauty behind the game. They're cynical assholes I guess is what I'm saying. You go to a museum, and see an ugly piece of art, but if you knew the story behind it, it's beautiful.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Has it been confirmed that you can play Wii and GC games on the controller itself? Is so, that'd be epic, I can't be bothered to take the Wii out and back in.
I doubt it, or at least no news about it has sprung up yet. And there's no GC backwards-compatibility.
I heard GC games would be available on the Wii-U shop or was that a rumour.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wow, Nintendo reminds me of Apple "Don't worry about the specs, it's just magic, that's all you need to know."

What are you smoking? Nintendo has ALWAYS been about gameplay over graphics, and anybody who doesn't know that obviously doesn't play anything but "LOLOMFG GRAFUX! LETS FLAWK TO DAT GAEM NOW!" type games.

This is why I still say Nintendo is the only gaming company left in the world. Everybody else goes for the best looking, yet without seeing the real beauty behind the game. They're cynical assholes I guess is what I'm saying. You go to a museum, and see an ugly piece of art, but if you knew the story behind it, it's beautiful.
Re-read the thread. Nintendo only recently started releasing sub-par hardware. A lesson on video game history:

[yt]eKlbx5niBu8[/yt]

[yt]dK3QWhUZWm0[/yt]

[yt]MKKK6FH1vGw[/yt]

It would appear that *someone* cared about the specs of their consoles. ;)

EDIT: Wrong link for the 3rd video, swapped for the right one.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You go to a museum, and see an ugly piece of art, but if you knew the story behind it, it's beautiful.

That is the dumbest analogy I have ever heard.

You go to a museum to appreciate art. Art is supposed to be good to be considered art. For art like paintings and drawings, it's supposed to look good to be considered art. You're basically saying I can draw a few stick figures but if the story behind it was about a tough time in my life, then it's beautiful? Drawn, painted, or sculpted art is completely based around being good looking. It's not comparable to video games. By your same standards, I could just fart into a microphone for two minutes, put out an album with these flatulent noises, and then say "Well I made this album because daddy didn't love me and mommy didn't pay attention to me and it expresses my innermost feelings", and it'll be considered "beautiful". It's not, it's just goddamn fart noises.

You know what piece of art is good if it has a good story behind it? Books. Because it is a story.

Sorry for ranting on but I just had to point out how completely irrelevant your analogy was and how it is completely false.

Also, I state this every time, but there's no compromise for good graphics and good games. They often go hand in hand. Additionally, do realize that Nintendo does their best to produce the best looking games on their consoles, so I guess they really do care about graphics.

I'd also like to point out that this argument only came to be when the Wii had shit graphical power and every Nintendo fanboy said "Oh, well I'm a real gamer and care about games, not graphics, so that's why the Wii is so good!" If the Wii came out and it beat the Xbox 360 and PS3 then they would be on their high horse saying "Look how good looking our games are, inferior non-Nintendo gamers!" Hell, this was the case when the Wii U was announced and every fan loved nothing more than to tote how their beloved Nintendo produced a console with better graphics than the competition... Even though the competition is 6-7 years old.

I really think we need to amend Darwin's theory of evolution, since apparently Nintendo diehards can adapt to whatever Nintendo throws at them within minutes of hearing about it. It takes millions of years to evolve? Bullshit, Darwin, bullshit.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes, but at least NOA doesn't have use the same douchebag marketing tactics Apple likes to wholly rely on. Take the whole "Macs vs. PC" argument for example, a Mac is personal, and it computes information, therefore, it falls under the definition of Personal Computer. If anything, the argument should be "Mac OS versus Windows" but, we all know it'll be a cold day in Hell before Apple stops brainwashing noobs into thinking they're better than everyone else. NOA is downplaying the specs on purpose, but the Wii U will be more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3; might not be a lot more, but enough to make a difference. They would morons to make it as weak if not weaker than the Wii. Why else would IBM mention that the CPU is the same type used in Watson, and while the GPU is R700-based? The so-called anonymous "developers" are trolls who have no lives.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes, but at least NOA doesn't have use the same douchebag marketing tactics Apple likes to wholly rely on. Take the whole "Macs vs. PC" argument for example, a Mac is personal, and it computes information, therefore, it falls under the definition of Personal Computer. If anything, the argument should be "Mac OS versus Windows" but, we all know it'll be a cold day in Hell before Apple stops brainwashing noobs into thinking they're better than everyone else. NOA is downplaying the specs on purpose, but the Wii U will be more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3; might not be a lot more, but enough to make a difference. They would morons to make it as weak if not weaker than the Wii. Why else would IBM mention that the CPU is the same type used in Watson, and while the GPU is R700-based? The so-called anonymous "developers" are trolls who have no lives.

Why would they downplay the specs? Like I'm no strategist here but I'd think you'd get more hype from your system with a strongly worded statement like "These rumors are absolutely false, the Wii U will be sporting advanced hardware and innovative controls from day one." Now that would make every Wii U hopeful giddy with excitement not "Well, um, we don't care about specs, we care about games!" which can easily be translated as "Yeah, this thing is pretty weak."

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, they didn't confirm hard numbers either, now did they? We know it's a multi-core CPU and it has a nice GPU, with HDD support and the graphic capability is sufficient enough to run Crytek's Crysis engine and it can run the Unreal 3 Engine, so why would developers be so douchey about it being "weak"?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, they didn't confirm hard numbers either, now did they? We know it's a multi-core CPU and it has a nice GPU, with HDD support and the graphic capability is sufficient enough to run Crytek's Crysis engine and it can run the Unreal 3 Engine, so why would developers be so douchey about it being "weak"?

But the Xbox 360 and PS3 can run those engines too. I don't think anyone would downplay it as "Wii-level" graphics. It's absolutely positive that it's at least Xbox 360/PS3 level. The issue now is that some people think it'll be so much better than those two and others think not. But if it was more powerful than those two consoles, why would Nintendo have a press release that made so many people doubt that?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Pikachu used jumper cables it was sadism lol