Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (Eurogamer)

nintendo-logo-620x349.png

Eurogamer are reporting that Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers:

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.
Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.
A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers-146954365832.png

:arrow:Read the full article with a lot more info here: Source

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I can't really see how smartphones and tablets beat out handhelds. The two gaming experiences are essentially identical except for the mode of control: touch versus button, and from my experience touch is terribly imprecise and unreliable, ruining any gaming experience I've tried.

Besides that, phones and tablets aren't really optimized for gaming, sometimes giving odd or inconsistent performances. Even still, if games development shifted entirely over to the mobile frontier, I think it'd make it more difficult for developers to make games that ran well on all systems and all OSs. Mobile games would need to stay scraping the bottom of the technological barrel to guarantee the widest demographic the way they do now
EXCEPT
if there were a standardized mobile gaming platform with gaming-focused OSs and comparative hardware capacity that developers could focus on, then those problems wouldn't exist. Then at that point, you'd have made a handheld console the same that exist today, only possibly with the inferior touch controls. Otherwise, we're back to where we started, having replicated the handheld market. Seriously, I can't find a single advantage to moving gaming completely, or even partially, over to mobile.
Phones are good for very basic games, like, point and click type which doesn't demand much. Heck, by comparison the Game Boy is a lot more advanced as it had a physical D-PAD and buttons. :P Games were also subjectively better so it's one of those cases, great graphics don't win over gameplay but gameplay over graphics. :yaysp:

FranckKnight

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly, what came to mind looking at this design is that I sure hope the one using the left remote is playing a game that doesn't require to use the Y + A or X + B buttons together, if you see what I mean.

The idea is interesting though, but it'd need to rework some parts of it.

kabloomz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't really see how smartphones and tablets beat out handhelds. The two gaming experiences are essentially identical except for the mode of control: touch versus button, and from my experience touch is terribly imprecise and unreliable, ruining any gaming experience I've tried.

Besides that, phones and tablets aren't really optimized for gaming, sometimes giving odd or inconsistent performances. Even still, if games development shifted entirely over to the mobile frontier, I think it'd make it more difficult for developers to make games that ran well on all systems and all OSs. Mobile games would need to stay scraping the bottom of the technological barrel to guarantee the widest demographic the way they do now
EXCEPT
if there were a standardized mobile gaming platform with gaming-focused OSs and comparative hardware capacity that developers could focus on, then those problems wouldn't exist. Then at that point, you'd have made a handheld console the same that exist today, only possibly with the inferior touch controls. Otherwise, we're back to where we started, having replicated the handheld market. Seriously, I can't find a single advantage to moving gaming completely, or even partially, over to mobile.

I agree, touch gaming experience is pretty crap compared to buttons but...

Touch mobile gaming has it's niche in that it's easily accessible (convenience) and quick thrills... You are not going to be lugging around a 3DS just to whip out for times when the grocery line is a little long.

Also touch appeals to a broader range of an audience who would never have bought traditional handheld gaming devices to begin with. Ever see a bunch of grannies playing Candy Crush? Or 2-3 y/o playing fruit ninja... etc..

Even when ppl don't buy digital content... the exposure is worth it's weight in gold.

I agree gaming should NOT move completely over to mobile... I wouldn't call it a partial move but rather expansion into mobile because the marketplaces are already there. Without competitive revenue you end up closing up shop, closing up any support for R&D such as SEGA, WonderSwan, NGage, NeoGeo etc...

As loyal as fans are to brands... at the end of the day it's all about the revenue.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

EXCEPT

The reason you can't see how smartphone beat out handhelds, is because you compare their capabilities in the delivery of quality gaming. Obviously, a proprietary gaming handheld will almost always deliver a better gaming experience than a smartphone. Not only is a 3DS / Vita optimized SOLELY for gaming, it also has the much needed physical buttons.

That was never the problem. That's well known. Yet, Vita's and 3DS's stay in the shelves when compared to Smartphones, and for a very simple reason:

Functionality.

While your 3DS does gaming and gaming alone, your smartphone even a crappy one, does gaming, work, browsing, apps, calls, 3G, and so much more.

In today's day and age, only the most avid players will seek out and "waste" money on proprietary gaming devices such as the 3DS and the Vita. The casual gamer, will stick with his Smartphone and play what is available there. So in short, Nintendo does NOT have the casual market, which is the one that will make big bucks.

Now imagine, if you could buy Pokemon Sun or Super Smash Bros on the Play Store / App Store. How you play it, is up to you. You can use a gamepad or use touch controls.

But if that was the case, now the casual people who DIDNT bother to buy a Nintendo 3DS, will still buy the games. We saw this so very clearly with Pokemon Go. Many people who even downloaded Pokemon Go, probably hadn't played Pokemon since Pokemon Gold on the freaking Game Boy Color.

This is the direction to go. Do we like it? No. I'd rather have a 3DS with proper hardware and physical controls. Is that working sales wise?

No. No it isn't.

Reactions: kabloomz and Roxe__

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i still dont understand why people think that phones have to be only touch. They could easily make game phones that have better specs and have a sliding compartment for gamepad kinda like psp go but better
Like the Xperia Play?

It's been done. Nobody wanted it.

If Nintendo really was to make a gaming smartphone, they would have to use the latest chips. That, plus the unique hardware, can easily push it to the $500-$600 range. That would make it Nintendo's most expensive console, and out of the reach of most of their potential buyers. And it would be obsolete in a couple years. Anyone who would want one must realize that they are in the minority, and just because they want one doesn't mean it will sell. It's practically business 101.

Last edited by Futurdreamz,

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe Eurogamer's mockup of the "detachable" controllers is so off they are confusing things ?

Maybe they are just a part of the screen and they can be turned off ?

I doubt they looks like this ...
jpg

As they have drawn.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4
S

Saiyan Lusitano

For everyone who keeps doubting the whole Nintendo going software and trying to achieve what Android and Apple has going:

Edit: SKIP to 2:15 for the quote from Iwata

Sony kinda did it too before too, with PSPgo and a DualShock 3.

kabloomz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah look what Nokia did with the Ngage... it's no longer ONLY about the platform... Accessibility wins all the time.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'll accept that it's portable, but not pocketablr
Yeah look what Nokia did with the Ngage... it's no longer ONLY about the platform... Accessibility wins all the time.
Exactly. Accessibility. I will not give my children a $400 phone, and I will not play games on my work phone. A 2DS for them, and a New 3DS XL for me.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Exactly. Accessibility. I will not give my children a $400 phone, and I will not play games on my work phone. A 2DS for them, and a New 3DS XL for me.

You. Me. Your children, because you teach them that way.

For 90% of the world, it's the other way around. Casuals will game on what is available on the app store / play store.

They're not going to waste 200$ on a 3DS.

Reactions: Roxe__

Roxe__

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

i love you mention accessibility and then you mention 1 device for a phone, then a separate device for gaming. That is not accessibility at all.

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
This stuff about Nintendo making more mobile games is trash. Gaming on phones is simple and touchchreen based. No one, on the casual market, will buy a controller to play the hardcore games on a phone.

Nintendo's business on mobile gaming should remain on small games with in-app purchases, done. At best they can integrate mobile phone games on their next console if it will indeed be a hybrid or portable.

Last edited by FrozenDragon150,
Reactions: gnmmarechal

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i love you mention accessibility and then you mention 1 device for a phone, then a separate device for gaming. That is not accessibility at all.
The 2DS and the New 3DS XL are interchangeable. If my children want the N3DSXL then they can have it providing they can justify or earn the higher-priced console, and I could get by with the 2DS if I wanted to. But I'd rather have the bigger screen and improved 3D, while my children will be happy as long as they can play Mario Kart and everything. I will not buy them smartphones until I'm confident they can be trusted with them, and my work phone restricts the apps and games I can run on it.

Reactions: gnmmarechal

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The 2DS and the New 3DS XL are interchangeable. If my children want the N3DSXL then they can have it providing they can justify or earn the higher-priced console, and I could get by with the 2DS if I wanted to. But I'd rather have the bigger screen and improved 3D, while my children will be happy as long as they can play Mario Kart and everything. I will not buy them smartphones until I'm confident they can be trusted with them, and my work phone restricts the apps and games I can run on it.

I think he was referring to the fact that you mentioned accessibility, but still have to use Phone for everyday activities, and a dedicated handheld for your gaming needs.

The original discussion was about that situation needing to change. Accessibility. Having calls, apps, camera AND Super Smash Bros, all on your phone / tablet.

Reactions: kabloomz and Roxe__

Roxe__

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I think he was referring to the fact that you mentioned accessibility, but still have to use Phone for everyday activities, and a dedicated handheld for your gaming needs.

The original discussion was about that situation needing to change. Accessibility. Having calls, apps, camera AND Super Smash Bros, all on your phone / tablet.
I'm honestly not going to bother anymore if people in this day and age still do not get it, then they never will.

Last edited by Roxe__,

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm honestly not going to bother anymore if people in this day and age still do not get it.
Just scanned the conversation, but are you saying you wouldn't buy an handheld that can work as a phone too at, let's say, $250?
Yes, that price is possible. Mobile chips have gotten that good and we don't need the strongest chip there is. You can always cancel or move your sim card and just
have a regular handhand.

Nintendo make some kind of successful Xperia Play (preferably with a game slot) is a much better alternative than dropping all their resources on phone, with the expectation of most people not carry around game controls. Most games are just going be parts of bigger games with micro transactions up the wazoo.

Imo we NEED a big companies or even companies to have successful gaming phones. Not only will it fill a space in the market barely being used, it would give handhelds a better safeguard for the future.
I rather them merge, than lose gaming focus handhelds and actually convenient game controls in the future.

Reactions: Roxe__

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This stuff about Nintendo making more mobile games is trash. Gaming on phones is simple and touchchreen based. No one, on the casual market, will buy a controller to play the hardcore games on a phone.

Nintendo's business on mobile gaming should remain on small games with in-app purchases, done. At best they can integrate mobile phone games on their next console if it will indeed be a hybrid or portable.
What's the problem? They have separate teams working on the mobile games, it's not at all affecting their ability to create quality console games

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
What's the problem? They have separate teams working on the mobile games, it's not at all affecting their ability to create quality console games
Rereading my post, I noticed my wording was shit lol.

I mean making their big games (Smash, Sun and Moon, etc) for mobile, porting the big games to mobile plataforms goes against making gaming consoles, and the smartphone plataform just isn't made for games like these. They should do only your usual mobile games, AKA small, bite sized games they can quickly and cheaply make.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Psionic Roshambo only if you're electroboom