Nintendo now will BAN you for game-sharing

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
This Nintendo YouTuber is reporting that Nintendo now are hunting down those accounts that even legally game share their digital games with their friends.

Is that even legal? I game share all my digital games on PlayStation with my bro all the time without any problem.

Screenshot_2023-07-26-10-08-43-30_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg

Found a Reddit Thread about the topic

Last edited by ElYubiYubi,

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think nintendo's mainly targeting those account renting services, but yeah that could suck for those who share account with friends. Wondering how they'll do it, detecting IP address and the number of consoles the account is used?

Also I don't see any problem with people selling their digital games/accounts, and another reason to pirate.

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
So me using Tinfoil to install a cartridge game to make it available for local wireless on both units can get my account banned now (if it somehow connects to nintendo.net on EmuMMC)?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So they basically mean people giving out their account to others? Most places have a ban for this, just not regularly enforced.

Battle.net, Valve etc. all have a "ban" for it. Battle.net have an exception for children/guardians but that's about it.

Reactions: Cortador

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
So they basically mean people giving out their account to others? Most places have a ban for this, just not regularly enforced.

Battle.net, Valve etc. all have a "ban" for it. Battle.net have an exception for children/guardians but that's about it.
Does Valve really give bans for it? AFAIK, it's only "your account your responsibility" for if it gets VAC-banned.

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Not sure how Nintendo is the bad guy here. It's the same as all other places do.
I personally hope EU once again slaps digital stores so you can sell your digital games, but until that day comes. We have to bend over and take it.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure how Nintendo is the bad guy here. It's the same as all other places do.
I personally hope EU once again slaps digital stores so you can sell your digital games, but until that day comes. We have to bend over and take it.

Have one guy here in the US trying to sell his account, I believe he got like 300 games, but mostly of them are junk/garbage games, dude wanted $1500 for it lmao.

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Have one guy here in the US trying to sell his account, I believe he got like 300 games, but mostly of them are junk/garbage games, dude wanted $1500 for it lmao.
LOL! Digital games for me are worthless. I don't own them, the digital store does.

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think we have enough info to really know what Nintendo is doing. It should be pretty easy to see that an account has signed into 100+ Switches and know that it's BS. If their banning people who's account is on a small number (10?) then they should probably publish that threshold and tell people how many Switches can sign into one account.

Most software licenses I've ever seen are supposed to have a 1:1 ratio of installed software/hardware with a few exceptions. That used to be a non-issue with physical games. Digital games are tied to an account which can exist on multiple devices but that doesn't really follow the license terms. This is why the Switch will only allow one "Primary" console/account.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @SylverReZ she is nice.