Nintendo Labo announced

Nintendo has revealed the announcement they were teasing for today, and at 10 PM GMT, the Nintendo Labo was revealed to the public. Focusing on three key tenets of "make, play, and discover", the Nintendo Labo are "Toy-Cons" that consist of cardboard and can be crafted together to create things such as a little piano, house, fishing rod, and more. The Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons are then placed within them, for interactivity. To start, there will be two kits, one that's a variety kit which includes a fishing rod, 2 cars, a house, a motorbike handlebar, and a piano. The second, is a "robotic backpack suit". The products will cost $69.99 or $79.99 respectively.

Both sets will release on April 20, 2018, and Nintendo will be holding hands-on events to demo the Nintendo Labo in New York City from Feb. 2-3, and in San Francisco from Mar. 2-4. If you're interested, you can register for that here. The Labo will require folding the cardboard in order to make it form into the object you want, by following the guidlines provided in the box. Some of the creations will also have minigames that utilize the Joy-Cons, where you use the rumbling from the controller in order to know when to reel in the fishing pole. Also shown was a piano, which plays music when the cardboard keys are pressed.

zxUpDrE.png

vJcQ17Z.png

Get ready to Make, Play and Discover with Nintendo Labo! Nintendo Labo is a new line of interactive build-and-play experiences that combine DIY creations with the magic of Nintendo Switch. Available on April 20, 2018.

:arrow: Official Site

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What the flip is this? & what it has to do with boxes? I'm really confused right now.....
This is a beautiful DIY kit to build an amuzing contraption out of cardboard, including software that can be used together with the contraption, blueprints, and additionally the cardboard material precut and ready to fold. Blueprints are included in case further contraptions need to be built, for the creation of futher contraptions normal cardboard can be used, making the required cuts oneself following said blueprints.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So anyways, what's your opinion on this thing?
My opinion is that it's garbage. Nintendo doesn't need to sell cardboard cutouts, kids play with cardboard all the time and make all sorts of stuff out of it. In fact, they don't even need a Switch to do that - a cardboard fort is a fort with or without a Switch. I think they're trying to pre-package childhood nostalgia and sell it to people with no imagination of their own, and that's just sad. It's even sadder to see people taking the bait, and it goes to show that Nintendo has become a peddler of infantilism.

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Its a great idea, clever designed cardboard toys that look fun to construct and play with.
As a designer with some experience in packaging design this really appeal to me even though im in my 30s.
Will buy the first set and experience it with my nephew (who is 6 and in love with the switch).
Ill probably try design my own Labo sets, depending on what could work with the software that is included and my free time.

Reactions: sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, it is a great idea. And sure a great shared experience to build together with the kids, perhaps this could even lead them to be interested in things like computer vision.

Still, though I find it too pricey, I consider it quite boring when someone guards their wallet so much that they become so grumpy and heartless. Sure they will end being rich old men like that, a mirror of Dickens' Scrooge.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My opinion is that it's garbage. Nintendo doesn't need to sell cardboard cutouts, kids play with cardboard all the time and make all sorts of stuff out of it. In fact, they don't even need a Switch to do that - a cardboard fort is a fort with or without a Switch. I think they're trying to pre-package childhood nostalgia and sell it to people with no imagination of their own, and that's just sad. It's even sadder to see people taking the bait, and it goes to show that Nintendo has become a peddler of infantilism.
You can't sell nostalgia to children that don't have experiences to reminisce on yet. You can only sell them new experiences with which they will become nostalgic

Reactions: Jonna and Tigran

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You can't sell nostalgia to children that don't have experiences to reminisce on yet. You can only sell them new experiences with which they will become nostalgic
I was talking about the adults getting excited over this, not the small children. If that's your argument, it saddens me even more that we need a Switch to have creative fun with cardboard these days. It's just another area where an electronic device is a nanny and substitutes the parent. You don't make a cardboard motorcycle with the Nintendo Switch, you do it with your dad.

Reactions: Eddypikachu

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I was talking about the adults getting excited over this, not the small children. If that's your argument, it saddens me even more that we need a Switch to have creative fun with cardboard these days. It's just another area where an electronic device is a nanny and substitutes the parent. You don't make a cardboard motorcycle with the Nintendo Switch, you do it with your dad.
You do have a point. Parents are spending less time with their kids, and they grow up to be socially awkward, depressed and confused about their purpose in life.
You can play this with a parent, but its a cardboard, not a much better quality material.
I'm guessing the games themselves are 60 bucks and the cardboards are 10 to 20 dollars depending which game you get.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You do have a point. Parents are spending less time with their kids, and they grow up to be socially awkward, depressed and confused about their purpose in life.
You can play this with a parent, but its a cardboard, not a much better quality material.
I'm guessing the games themselves are 60 bucks and the cardboards are 10 to 20 dollars depending which game you get.
Or you could just play with your kids. Introducing the digital element seems cold to me, a barrier in interaction. The kid's not interacting with you, it interacts with the game and you're a witness to it. Kids have great imaginations, they don't need the console in the equation, and if you do want to introduce it for some reason, you don't need Labo. Why not just build cardboard go-karts and play Mario Kart together? Sounds like fun, as opposed to following instructions from the game. The kid should follow their parent's lead, not the game's. That's a digression though, I must see the final product to make a valued judgement.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
you seem to miss the point that with this nintendo will never needs to spend bucket of money on extra devices, remneber dk bongos,link crossbow, ping pong racket,golf club,mario kart wheel, tennis raket ,etc dongles they made for the wiimote and even for gc? now they can speant a fracture of the price and selll you a device that does the same, its a genious thing imo.

sure them charging 70$ for the game with carboard is abit steep unless every minigame is packed with stuff, the robot one seems to be a full game and they added 20$ for the cardboard and strings and all that still.

think about it nintendo no longer needs to make the extra devices in plastic and pay a fortune, its preety good for them and maybe us since they will probably make more addons for some games that would never get them becuase of the price cost of said addons.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Or you could just play with your kids. Introducing the digital element seems cold to me, a barrier in interaction. The kid's not interacting with you, it interacts with the game and you're a witness to it. Kids have great imaginations, they don't need the console in the equation, and if you do want to introduce it for some reason, you don't need Labo. Why not just build cardboard go-karts and play Mario Kart together? Sounds like fun, as opposed to following instructions from the game. The kid should follow their parent's lead, not the game's. That's a digression though, I must see the final product to make a valued judgement.
I do know parents that don't let their kids play video games at all. Even when the kid begs and cries for a console, they say nope, not getting you one.
And they put their kids into sports instead of getting them a console. They see video games as a very negative thing on their kids.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
think about it nintendo no longer needs to make the extra devices in plastic and pay a fortune, its preety good for them and maybe us since they will probably make more addons for some games that would never get them becuase of the price cost of said addons.
It's only good for them not for us, at the end of the day they are still marking up cardboard to over 6000% of its cost to sell to consumers, stuff that wont even last long.
Plastic doesnt take much money to make molds and produce and has a pretty good durability, just look at all the hundreds of third party wii controller accessories that where released.

A Plus Ric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"CRY CRY 60 dollars for cardboard"

First off it is more than just cardboard. Second off....You pay 60 dollar for a piece of plastic that gets scratched and has a game with 2 hrs of actual storied gameplay on them for Ps4 and Xbox 1. lol And once it gets scratched up too much stops reading.....lol

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
you seem to miss the point that with this nintendo will never needs to spend bucket of money on extra devices, remneber dk bongos,link crossbow, ping pong racket,golf club,mario kart wheel, tennis raket ,etc dongles they made for the wiimote and even for gc? now they can speant a fracture of the price and selll you a device that does the same, its a genious thing imo.

sure them charging 70$ for the game with carboard is abit steep unless every minigame is packed with stuff, the robot one seems to be a full game and they added 20$ for the cardboard and strings and all that still.

Yeah, Nintendo doesn't - the parents will as the cardboard inevitably breaks, bends or tears after one use because it's for young kids and the material of choice is poor. Why do you care if Nintendo makes money, do you have stock in the company? From a consumer perspective you should be worried about getting good value for your money. Getting ripped off is not a reason to celebrate.
I do know parents that don't let their kids play video games at all. Even when the kid begs and cries for a console, they say nope, not getting you one.
And they put their kids into sports instead of getting them a console. They see video games as a very negative thing on their kids.
That's far too extreme, there's family time and there's play time.

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Give yourself a pat on the back. Being sincere. I'm actually taking some time to think about this and seeing your side in regards to how to interact with your kids.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah, Nintendo doesn't - the parents will as the cardboard inevitably breaks, bends or tears after one use because it's for young kids and the material of choice is poor. Why do you care if Nintendo makes money, do you have stock in the company? From a consumer perspective you should be worried about getting good value for your money. Getting ripped off is not a reason to celebrate.
That's far too extreme, there's family time and there's play time.
have you not read that nintendo will give you the cardboard for free if it breacks? also i bet chinise knockoffs costing afew cents will be up on ebay anytime they get the blueprints lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Briefcase 69 did I win