Nintendo - Gamescom trailers roundup

IMG_0498.JPG

Gamescom is happening over in Germany, and news is out in full stride, with new reveals, announcements, and trailers at every turn. Nintendo is no different, offering a host of new videos of upcoming games for fans to watch and get excited for.

First up is a collection of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate trailers that show gameplay for Dark Samus, Chrom, and King K. Rool.

If you're looking for something a little different, a new teaser was uploaded for the Switch-exclusive DAEMON X MACHINA.

A release date was also given for the 3DS remake of Luigi's Mansion, which will be out on October 11.
Finally, the last video for day 1 of the conference is a roster reveal for Mario Tennis: Aces. Diddy Kong joins as the latest playable character, and will be available this September.

LWGShane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
which is the obvious base for this
Ultimate was built from the ground up in Unreal Engine.

Be creative, Nintendo, that's what you're known for, stop milking Smash and get on to actual interesting stuff
You should look into current first party titles - they have plenty of "interesting" and "creative" "stuff".

D

Deleted User

Ultimate was built from the ground up in Unreal Engine.
It was not built from the ground up, nor on the unreal engine. Building a smash game from the ground up takes a lot of time, more than they had. The unreal engine is a common misconception, it was shown in the credits at the end of e3 for other games. Looking at the end of a smash direct will disprove your statements about Unreal Engine.

It is not fair of Nintendo to purely show Smash, but it isn't fair either to criticize them on their decision to do so. Super Smash Brothers was one of the top 5 best selling games on the Wii U, below games that came pretty much years before it (the exception being Mario Kart 8). It makes sense that they would milk smash. The Switch is one of the best selling console's Nintendo has ever produced, and there are people who haven't ever played Smash brothers before, and Nintendo is trying to build hype for this game.

While this is happening, we also have to remember that Nintendo is 100% doing more behind the scenes. With smash ultimate taking the spotlight, games being developed (like Bayonetta, Metroid, and Yoshi) are all getting closer and closer to completion. What wouldn't surprise me is if the first year E3 was insane to sell units, this years E3 was lackluster to sell as many smash copies as it can, and next years E3 will drop countless loads on us. A bukakke of games, if you will.

I am not necessarily defending Nintendo, because I sure as hell want to see more MP4 stuff, as Metroid Prime is my favorite game series ever. I also want to see if Yoshi will be any good, because I have always disliked Yoshi games. I want to see more actual games, like SMM2.

Just keep in mind that being patient is worth it. After all, we have monster hunter coming out this month (a week from today no?), Pokemon in November, Smash in December, and definitely a more promising lineup next year.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Not at all? O.o Do you like other fighting games?
I don't like fighting games in general. but I don't see what's so great in Smash, it's just random button mashing until you or others are out of the screen.
adding more characters is just aesthetic, it's a visual joy to incarnate your favorite character, but it's still the same : press a button with a direction, and get out of the screen in a big non understandable melee.

what's great about having the same game on new consoles? it's always the same.
well, like all fighting games I suppose, always the same too.

I guess it's just not my genre.

Maybe it's more fun playing with friends ?
fighting games, alone, it's boring. I prefer when there's a story or progression (final fight style, turtle in time, there are progression, levels and things happening, even if it's a fighting game)

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't like fighting games in general. but I don't see what's so great in Smash, it's just random button mashing until you or others are out of the screen.
adding more characters is just aesthetic, it's a visual joy to incarnate your favorite character, but it's still the same : press a button with a direction, and get out of the screen in a big non understandable melee.

fighting games, alone, it's boring. I prefer when there's a story or progression (final fight style, turtle in time, there are progression, levels and things happening, even if it's a fighting game)
Agree 100% with this.
I never saw the appeal of fighting games at all (sports games too).
It's just same old shit, just with more characters and stages each time, that's it.

Reactions: Cyan

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China

Well, Smash is actually a mix between a J&R and a fighting game. Give Mario a button to hit (kind of like in Mario 64 I guess, but in 2D) and you've got Smash. I think the feeling of flying away but still surviving is the most appealing part of the game, including the % meter (or sending someone flying or hitting someone in midair by calculating his trajectory).
Did you enjoy the Subspace Emissary in Brawl? It's more like a Beat'em Up like Final Fight (but only on one plane)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I didn't play that part.
I tried SSBB maybe 30mins, and couldn't see any appeal, not managed to do anything in the tutorial. (I vaguely remember targets to shoot, in a virtual plateform area)
I bought SSBB only to hack my vWii.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Zense

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
There was a tutorial in SSBB? I don't even remember despite playing it so much. I guess you mean "Hit the target" which was actually worse than in previous titles. You have to hit targets within a time limit. There were only 5 stages. The previous games had a unique stage for every character and the very first game also had other similar modes. Hit the target was completely absent on Wii U. It would have been fun to create stages and share them (as a challenge, kind of like Super Mario Maker).

Reactions: Zense

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    obamna
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    SODA
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Catboy back in chat. :ninja:
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Don't forget to pet it for good luck
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That cat bites
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Hmmm yes she does
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Float like a butterfly burns when I pee lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So does that mean your date was not good? It burns now?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got two new stds in one night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Giggity
    +1
    I don't bite! Minus the times when I did bite
    Like 5 minutes ago
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Billie needs her lunch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs papa brought back the cheeseburger pizza it's like the only decent pie they had since the 80s
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm not a fan of papa johns, but that does sound good. We hardly order out pizza, I like making my own, but when we do its donatoes
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get them like once every two months anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just because it's half a mile from where I live
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Request next time you order, that Shaq deliver it to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I want him to buy me a chain also
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Open it right next to the one we have
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys should i make a new thread and just count the amount of posts until kyle, luke or leo joins the thread for fun?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kyle's fine, just waiting for that wario joke

luke and leo though, they yap until the thread's enjoyability is about halved
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Leo is Luke's alterego when he gets hard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Luke is gone, he got banned. And I'm surprised Leo hasn't yet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Subway was actually pretty decent tonight
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Subway was actually pretty decent tonight