Nintendo Files Trademark For N64

n64 classic.JPG

After the wild success of Nintendo's classic console rehash in the form of the NES Classic and SNES Classic, many fans were wondering when, rather than if, the House of Mario will release its next classic console: the N64 Classic. Well, the latter might actually become a reality!

As spotted by JapaneseNintendo, a Nintendo 64 trademark was applied by the Big N, including video game program, controller, joystick and TV game machine and more. While this by no means confirms that an N64 Classic is on the way, as companies usually renew trademarks to protect their IPs, there have been a few hints that the N64 will be next in the Classic line. Commercial success of the NES Classic and SNES Classic aside, last summer Nintendo filed a graphical trademark for an icon depicting the N64's three-pronged controller in a style very much akin to the NES Classic logo. Coincidence?

The application also makes several mentions regarding downloadable software, in particular mobile ones. As such, it could also be pointing towards future Nintendo-branded mobile phone games.

So what do you make of this news? Is Nintendo preparing for the eventual N64 Classic? Or is the company planning something entirely different, like an N64 Best Of compilation for the Switch? Share your thoughts below!

:arrow: SOURCE

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See, this is maybe reasons like this why Nintendo didn't plan on Virtual Console for switch. classic systems like NES/SNES Classic and not to mention other developers like sega, namco, and SNK making compilation games for the switch, or even their own classic systems. Also can't forget hamster corp with that arcade archives. I dunno if this is a smart move but seem so. Switch maybe selling like hotcakes, but so is the classic systems, not to mention licensing with different companies to get games could be a hassle, and especially popular ones which may be too much trouble.

Honestly the switch as far as "Virtual Console" may be getting is Compilation games like Sega Ages, SNK collection, and the like, but I'm still interested in online mutiplayer nes/snes game. Too bad they probably all will be nintendo only games. Online super mario world, lol :P

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

After the wild success of Nintendo's classic console rehash in the form of the NES Classic and SNES Classic, many fans were wondering when, rather than if, the House of Mario will release its next classic console: the N64 Classic. Well, the latter might actually become a reality!

As spotted by JapaneseNintendo, a Nintendo 64 trademark was applied by the Big N, including video game program, controller, joystick and TV game machine and more. While this by no means confirms that an N64 Classic is on the way, as companies usually renew trademarks to protect their IPs, there have been a few hints that the N64 will be next in the Classic line. Commercial success of the NES Classic and SNES Classic aside, last summer Nintendo filed a graphical trademark for an icon depicting the N64's three-pronged controller in a style very much akin to the NES Classic logo. Coincidence?

The application also makes several mentions regarding downloadable software, in particular mobile ones. As such, it could also be pointing towards future Nintendo-branded mobile phone games.

So what do you make of this news? Is Nintendo preparing for the eventual N64 Classic? Or is the company planning something entirely different, like an N64 Best Of compilation for the Switch? Share your thoughts below!

:arrow: SOURCE
I think N64 classic is a GREAT idea! So many great games! :)

...just no Conker's Bad Fur Day, please!

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if they'll put Rayman 2 on it. Not that they have to, as Ubisoft seems to insist on putting that game on every console known to man but ya never know.

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
tho with the current state of n64 emulation...
Nintendo writes the emulators for the mini/classic consoles themself (even if I'm sure for the last two they took more then one look into open source emulators. They even went with the exact file formats used by rom sites for NES and I assume they did the same for SNES)
Maybe a emulator written by NERD (the Nintendo studio who wrote the NES and SNES emulator for the mini/classic consoles) could help to clear some things up and ultimatly even help opensource emulators to become better. Nintendo should have exact documentations about how all this chips in the N64 behave and how they interact which makes it easier for them to write good emulators (and reverse engineering there emulator should help the opensource N64 emulator community).

Last edited by VitaType,

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice, I'd love to get my hands on one of these.

Would also be nice if you could load custom ROMs into it as well like the previous mini consoles.
I would hope since it was made by Nintendo themselves that compatibility will be high.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
What is the problem with N64 emulation? I remember Smash Bros having weird Fireballs (Mario) and Kirby 64 not displaying characters.
Maybe I just didn't have the right settings.

I very much look forward to the N64 controller. I bought cheap versions but their sticks were horrible (yes, worse than the original). There are people who have replaced the original N64 stick with a Gamecube one or sth similar. Hope Nintendo does it as well. According to a youtuber, the problems with the N64 stick stem from the fact that Nintendo used a small piece of plastic at the bottom of the stick instead of metal (in order to save costs).
I've found out the N64 controller is actually great for 2D fighting games. 6 face buttons on the right and a good D-pad. I was probably the only one in the world playing Street Fighter 4 with an N64 controller. ;)

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
What is the problem with N64 emulation? I remember Smash Bros having weird Fireballs (Mario) and Kirby 64 not displaying characters.
You can read about why N64 emulation is kind of poop here: http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Nintendo_64_emulators#Emulation_issues

tl;dr though basically the N64's hardware is quite complex, especially the GPU, so emulating it accurately is very difficult. GlideN64 is a recentish graphics plugin that vastly helps with accuracy and such for N64 emulation, but it's still far from perfect.

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As Tom's reply and the link explain, the N64 GPU is notoriously difficult to emulate. In this case, it's also your settings. Based off of the issues described it seems you are using Jabo's plugin which suffers from those problems. Try Glide64 and see if the results are better.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N64 Classic won't be that classic if it has no third party games, just saying.

If it ain't got Pokemon Snap and Pokemon Stadium, then I DON'T CARE :hateit:

But really, if the emulation is actually decent on this thing (and it actually exists, of course :P) I might actually buy this one, since as mentioned N64 emulation is pretty ass for the most part.

Oh, not to much anymore. GlideN64 is the only plugin that can run Rogue Squadron and even Indiana Jones now. Nintendo's own efforts for N64, yes, haven't been that good.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

gman666

Cubicle Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a day one buy for me.. The n64 was MY first console. Of course I played the NES and the SNES when I was young, but the n64 was the first console that I could be selfish with because it was my 5th birthday present. Hell, I still remember the birthday theme and what I ate that day (Star Wars, Hotdog with Mustard and Cake).

Last edited by gman666,

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, I got an N64 + some controllers + 10+ games for $20 a few years ago at a garage sale, so I'm not too excited about this. Especially with the issue of (1) the emulation difficulty and (2) the sucky controllers. I was excited about the Retro Fighter N64 controller until I heard about the issue (L-Button hits the ball of the analog-stick) and really just waiting if they get that fixed. Honestly, that's the only way I can imagine playing the N64 for any extended period of time.

Seriously, the N64 controller really sucks. Clearly Nintendo never considered people using analog+d-pad, and developers never considered that most people don't have three hands.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, I got an N64 + some controllers + 10+ games for $20 a few years ago at a garage sale, so I'm not too excited about this. Especially with the issue of (1) the emulation difficulty and (2) the sucky controllers. I was excited about the Retro Fighter N64 controller until I heard about the issue (L-Button hits the ball of the analog-stick) and really just waiting if they get that fixed. Honestly, that's the only way I can imagine playing the N64 for any extended period of time.

Seriously, the N64 controller really sucks. Clearly Nintendo never considered people using analog+d-pad, and developers never considered that most people don't have three hands.

You're just now realizing that? What did you expect from a system that was released 22 years ago? Analog sticks were a new thing in 1996.

Reactions: oofio

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're just now realizing that? What did you expect from a system that was released 22 years ago? Analog sticks were a new thing in 1996.

"Just now"? No, I'm just bitching about it more now. Btw, no, analog sticks weren't "a new thing" in 1996. Analog joyticks in general date back to at least 1976. Analog thumbsticks date back to at least 1989. Oh, and the N64 was released in Japan on June 23, 1996, but the Saturn 3D Control Pad was released in Japan on July 5, 1996. The only "good" argument is that a design incorporating d-pad and analog wasn't standard, but that's a pretty horrible excuse for just how horrible the N64 controller was/is.

Reactions: DarthDub

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :blink: