• Nintendo DS Jargon Dictionary (As is)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DS Acronym Dictionary

• DS Basics

• DS Info Dictionary

• Frequently Used NDS Terminology: From Universal Standards to Proprietary Jargon.

• DS Terms Dictionary

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Touch DIC (Lolwut?)

• DS Quick Reference Guide

• Terms-All-In-One DS (TAIO)

• Total voters

Bluelaserman

I shoot BLUE LASERS MAN!!!!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Here is a simple but informative dictionary of NDS terms and jargon: (For quick searches, press CTRL+F and type the word.)

What does "DS" stand for?
It stands for "Developers' System", since we believe it gives game creators brand new tools which will lead to more innovative games for the world's players. It can also stand for "Dual Screen.

I believe it could also stand for 'Dual Sex'. Meaning its for both genders, as previous portable consoles from Nintendo were called 'Gameboy'. To stop the male only trend, they changed it to something that appeals to both genders. Its only a guess and should not be taken seriously.

<u><b>Types of Nintendo DS</b></u>
Nintendo DS/NDS - Also known as DSPhat
Nintendo DS/NDSL - Also Known as DSLite
Nintendo DSi/NDSi - Also known as DSi
Nintendo DSiXL/NDSiXL - Also known as DSiXL/DSiLL
Nintendo 3DS - Also known as 3DS

<u><b>File Formats</b></u>
.nds - A file container that holds a back up of a Nintendo DS game.
.sav - A commonly used save file format
.nds.sav - A save format used by WOOD.
.pkm - A pokemon file format.
.rar - A compression format of files and folders.
.7z - Another compression format for files and folders.
.zip - Yet another file/folder compression method.
.cc - A Cheat Codes/Cache file; When you load up cheats for a game, it reads them out of the main cheat database and then makes a .cc file for that game containing just those codes, so it can load them faster each time after that (since it's not having to look through the whole database to get them).
.dat - A database file. Used for cheat databases and some firmwares.
.bak - A file format created normally through patching. This file is the original/backup of the game.
.dpg - A video file format for the NDS. Can be used by Moonshell.
.narc - Nitro Archive. Format of the files containing text and other important data inside DS games. Nitro refers to the DS's code name.

<u><b>Types of ROM labels</b></u>
Clean - Untouched copy of the NDS cartridge put into a .NDS format.
Trimmed - A backup that has padding removed from its files. (Trimmed to make smaller)
Patched - A backup that has a fix applied to it so it can bypass AP. May also be patched for translation/alterations.
Cracktro - A introduction made by the game "cracker" which then leads to the game. Also known as Cracked Intro
Nuked - A backup that has been labeled bad. Normally a bad dump causes this.
Cracked - A backup that allows bypassing of AP. Normally done by the dump uploader.
Warez - Dump of a NDS cartridge.

<u><b>Region codes</b></u>
(U) - United States. Also known as USA.
(E) - Europe. Also known as EUR
(J) - Japan. Also known as JPN
(K) - Korea. Also known as KOR
(H) - Netherlands. Also known as HOL
(G) - Germany. Also known as GER
(F) - France. Also known as FRA
(S) - Spain. Also known as SPA
(I) - Italy. Also known as ITA
(A) - Australia. Also known as AUS

<u><b>Types of Flashcarts</b></u>
R4/R4 Revolution - A revived Flashcart that allows WoodR4 firmware. Has numerous clones and shouldn't be purchased from unknown sources. Does not work on DSi.
DSTT/TTDS - Also an early flashcart that supported SDHC. Has been kept alive via unofficial updates. DSTTi Works on DSi.
AceKard/AK2 - A flashcart that provides more features than other carts. Firmware is still updated; AKAIO. AK2i works on DSi.
Supercard DSTWO/DS2/SCDS2 - Recent Flashcart that integrates a CPU to enable emulation of GBA. Also able to play NDS games that have Anti-Piracy without the need for patching. Works on DSi.
CycloDS - Flashcart that supports RTS
EZFlash V - Another Flashcart that is supported.
EZFlash Vi - Another Flashcart that is supported. DSi/DSiXL/LL Supported.
M3 - Another Flashcart
M3 Real - Another Flashcart
M3i Zero - Another Flashcart designed for the DSi/DSiXL/LL. Will still work on NDS/NDSL.
iSmart - Another Flashcart developed by the EZ Team. Supported.
iPlayer - First flashcart with a built in CPU that also features drag and drop video support. No backup/rom support for NDS. Does however have GBA emulation.

<u><b>Recommended Flashcarts</b></u>
You have three choices for carts that have proper support/updates.

1. The original R4.
NOT "R4-III Upgrade", NOT "R4-SDHC", NOT "R4i", NOT "R4 Gold", NOT "R4 Red", NOT "R4 King"...
NOT ANYTHING ELSE WITH "R4" IN THE NAME! JUST "R4 Revolution".
* Price: $6 from shoptemp.com
* Advantages: Can use Wood R4, giving it compatibility with modern games.
* Disadvantages: No DSi support, limited to memory cards 2GB and lower, no special features.
* Rank: The cheap card for somebody that just wants to play some games on a DS/Lite.

2. Acekard 2i
* Price: $15 from shoptemp.com
* Advantages: Can use AKAIO, giving it compatibility with modern games. Can update itself and cheats over wifi, supports the DSi/XL, and supports memory cards up to 32GB.
* Disadvantages: Can't do any of the special stuff the DSTwo can.
* Rank: Mid-range card for people that want to play lots of games on a DSi/XL with some extra features.

3. Supercard DSTwo
* Price: $35 from shoptemp.com
* Advantages: Supports the DSi/XL, can update itself even if the DSi won't run it, supports memory cards up to 32GB, real-time save (save states), in-game guide (show text and images from walkthroughs without having to reset the game), "free cheat" which lets you modify memory while the game is running, GBA and SNES emulator, slow motion, and more.
* Disadvantages: The most expensive card. The onboard processor and such means it eats into your battery life a bit.

<u><b>Types of Fake/Clone Flashcarts</b></u>
DSTT Advance
E7
EDGEi
GEi DS
Hyper R4i
M3i / M3l Upgrade
M3i SDHC
MARS
N5/ N5i
NCard II
ND1
NPlayer
R4 DSi XL
R4 Gold
R4 i.L.S
R4 III Upgrade
R4 King
R4 New
R4 Plus
R4 Pro
R4 Red
R4 Super
R4 Team
R4 Top
R4 Ultra / R4i
R4DSi
R4dsixl3d
R4i
R4i Best
R4i Christmas Edition
R4i Deluxe
R4i DSHC
R4i FIFA
R4i Gold
R4i Neo
R4i Platinum
R4i Pocket
R4i RTS
R4i/R4 Advance
R4i-Blue
R4-II
R4-III
R4-III SDHC
R4iTT
R4i-Yes
R4SDHC
R4v
R4X
Super R4i
TTi Upgrade
U2DS
If you haven't realised, ALL THESE CLONES ARE SOMEWHAT ALTERED. They have limited or no compatibility with new games and should never be purchased under any circumstance. They will all become paperweights and are therefore a useless investment.

<u><b>Firmware/Homebrew related</b></u>
Kernel - The "Operating System" of the Flashcart. E.g. AKAIO, YSMENU, WOOD, etc.
Firmware - The flashed information that's put directly into the Flashcart.
Homebrew - A release of software / game made by individuals outside of Nintendo (Do not work for Nintendo). Normally made to exploit the full potential of the console.
YSMenu - Enabling TT firmware to be used on other Flashcarts.
WAIO - Enabling Wood GUI to be used on other Flashcarts.
AKAIO - Acekard All In One firmware that can run on AceKard Flashcarts.
SAKURA - Firmware for M3 Flashcarts.
EvolutionOS - Firmware for SCDS2 Flashcarts.
MoonShell - One of the best Multimedia Homebrew which supports .dpg video, MP3 and txt files.
DiagnoSe - A program that lets you check your DS status; buttons, microphone, rumble pak, speakers, backlight, dead pixels, etc
Bunjaloo - A homebrew which allows access to the internet; A web browser. Also able to download files to the SD card.
Lameboy - A GB/GBC Emulator for SLOT-1 Flashcarts.
Colors! - A detailed application which lets the user draw pictures.
DLDI - Dynamically Linked Device Interface is an interface that allows homebrew developers to create a single code that will ensure that the homebrew runs on all flashcarts, rather than individually coding each and every flashcart. Developed by Chishm
PassMe - A method of redirecting the DS to a GBA Flash cart, so you can run your own program/homebrew on the Nintendo DS.
FlashMe - FlashMe is a firmware patch for your DS that allows you to run homebrew code from a GBA Flash cart without any additional hardware.
NoPass - Another method of running homebrew from slot-2, requiring a flashcart in Slot-1.

<u><b>Features of Flashcarts</b></u>
Soft-Reset - A new feature added to Flashcarts which allows a reset by pressing a combination of buttons.
RTS - RealTimeSave is a function in flashcarts that allows the user to save at any point within the game.
RTM - RealTimeMenu is a function in flashcarts that allows access to RTS, RealTimeCheats, Cheat Searching and soft-reset. The Cyclo, SCDS1, SCDSTWO, M3, EZFlash and iSmart all have this feature.
Cheat Searching - a feature that lets you turn on cheats in the middle of the game, and not having to restart for them to be activated. They can also be turned off.
Action Replay - Cheats and modifications for a game which allow extra options that would not normally be accessible.

<u><b>Other Terms</b></u>
Backup - A copy of an original game.
Rom - A backup of an original game.
Dump - Copying the contents of a NDS cartridge. Perhaps leading to hosting on the web.
Anti-Piracy/AP - Methods game creators use to stop copying or use of backups.
Crack - A Fix for a game which contains Anti-Piracy
Megabit/Mbit - A form of flash memory measurement. 8Mbits = 1Mbytes. 8Megabits = 1Megabytes.
Megabyte - A form of measuring bytes. Also known as MB or MBytes. 1MB = 1000000 Bytes
Gigabyte - A form of measuring bytes. Also known as GB or GBytes. 1GB = 1000000000 Bytes
Flashcard - Another name for Flashcart.
Flashcart clone/R4 Clone - A copied Flashcart that may lack quality and use of original firmware.
Root - The main directory of the memory card/MicroSD
MicroSD - A commonly used memory card for Flashcarts.
SDHC - Secure Digital High Capacity, A newer version of the SD cards which allows storage from 4GB - 32GB
SDXC - Secure Digital eXtended Capacity, the latest version of SD cards which allow storage from 32GB - 2TB
GUI - Graphical User Interface, the visual element of the firmware.
Skin - A "theme" for the Flashcarts GUI.
Resolution - The amount of pixels of a screen. Given as the number of pixels in width x the number of pixels in height. All NDS models have two screens, both with a resolution of 256x192 pixels.
256x192 - Resolution of the DS
Uploader - An individual or group that transfers the files/games to the net.
Emulation - Running a file on a system it was not designed for. Also running game files on a system it was not developed for.
Emulator - Program that allows emulation.
Format - A method of clear all files and folders from memory. Reformat meaning doing a format again.
Scene - The collection of game dumpers. Also known as "the scene" or "warez scene".
Pre-scene - An individual who releases a game dump before "the scene".
Slot 1 - The NDS Cartridge slot. Available on NDS and NDSL.
Slot 2 - The GBA Cartridge slot. This was taken away from the DSi and DSiXL/LL.
Rumble Pak - A GBA Slot-2 cartridge which provides force feedback while playing NDS games. However, not all games provide this feature. This feature is not available for the DSi and DSiXL/LL
Ram Pak - A RAM expansion for the DS which allows Opera Browser and other utilities. Also known as Rumble Ram Pak.
DS mode - The way all SLOT-1 flashcards run their games, even the DSi compatible cards.
DSi enhanced - A game that takes advantage of certain DSi features not available in earlier versions.
BIOS - Basic Input/Output System, used for emulators to load the firmware of the device. E.g. BIOS of NDS being used in No$Gba Emulator. This is illegal to download and should not be asked for on this forum.
Brick - A device that cannot function in any capacity or has limited functions. Such as a device with damaged firmware. Bricked Flashcarts can sometimes be un-bricked.
Panasonic SD Formatter - An excellent SD card formatter which far outweighs the default formatter; the OS's formatter.
IRQ Hook Homebrew Reset - A method of interrupting or resetting the process of homebrew.
SWI hook - Another method of interrupting or resetting the process of homebrew.
NDS Editor - Views files inside of a NDS backup. Views icon, name, etc, reinsert and extract files.
Nitro Explorer 2b - Views files within a nds rom. Can extract and reinsert files.
Nitro: DS's codename. Thus original DS parts and accessories use an NTR-XXX ID.
Usugata: DS Lite's codename. DS Lite parts/accessories are USG-XXX.
Twelve: DSi's codename. DSi parts/accessories are TWL-XXX.
Wifi - Wireless connection to either the internet or other NDS consoles.
GBAExploader - A GBA slot-2 loader made by Rudolph

[title:People that have helped with the guide.]gifi4
Shinigami357
ShadowSoldier
pichon64
Depravo
Evo.lve
RoxasIsSora
Demonbart
lolzed
shiningnegro
toguro_max
Rydian
basher11
mechadylan
Supreme Dirt
ProtoKun7

If you feel that I have posted misleading or incorrect information, please notify me immediately so I can correct it. Also if you have more information, feel free to post it so I can add it to the "Dictionary".

Bluelaserman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
gifi4 said:
This would be a good guide but it's missing a hell of a lot of stuff.

Haha, I know that, thats why I need Tempers help with information and such. If you have anything to add, please do.
yaynds.gif

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
.sav
.nds.sav (wood r4)
.nd5 (sometimes rom files are found with that ext and need to be renamed to .nds)
.pkm Pokemon file.

A lot more but can't think of them atm.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Firmware could also refer to the DS's firmware no?
[E] [J] when referring to roms of the country..
AKAIO is missing, considering you have YSMenu and WAIO.. there's SAKURA as well.

pichon64

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uruguay
It would be nice if you clarify the difference between a 'proper' rom, a 'clean' rom, a 'trimmed' rom, a 'patched' rom, a 'cracked' rom, a 'cracktro', a 'nuked' rom. All rom related jargon.

Bluelaserman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
pichon64 said:
It would be nice if you clarify the difference between a 'proper' rom, a 'clean' rom, a 'trimmed' rom, a 'patched' rom, a 'cracked' rom, a 'cracktro', a 'nuked' rom. All rom related jargon.

I'll add it, but whats a Proper rom? Sorry, I don't know all the Jargon myself
rofl.gif

Whats a cracktro, nuked and cracked rom also...

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ShadowSoldier said:
[E] [J] when referring to roms of the country..
Europe isn't a country. It would be more accurate to say it referred to the region where a game is released.

Bluelaserman said:
QUOTE(ShadowSoldier @ Oct 19 2010, 08:38 PM) Kernel is still being used.. barely, but still enough.
Could you please define Kernel, I'm unsure of it... sorry
tongue.gif

Kernel is actually what you call an 'operating system'. AKAIO, YSMENU, WOOD etc are all kernels. Firmware is what is flashed directly onto the flashcart (not the microSD) such as the recent 1.4.1 updates.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
technically, a cracked rom is only for bypassing AP and such, a patch is broader in the sense that it can be a translation, mod, etc

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse