Nintendo DS Homebrew Bounty to resume soon!

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I couldn't resist posting this, even though it hasn't officially started yet: the Nintendo DS Homebrew Bounty will be resuming soon!

GBAtemp started the NDS Homebrew Bounty back in 2008, in an effort to reward Nintendo DS homebrew developers and to encourage production of new gems. The principle was simple: we'd gather funds from donators, that would be entirely transferred to homebrew developers on a monthly basis. Each month, we complete the funds with an extra fixed donation.

Back in the day, GBAtemp financed the Homebrew Bounty by itself and since we didn't have a stable financial income (sponsors kept dropping us) we couldnt sustain the bounty and as a result, it had to be put on hold. This time, the Bounty will be totally and directly sponsored by ShopTemp, GBAtemp's partner shop. Collecting donations will be much easier and better organized. We're expecting to be able to collect a lot more funds than with the previous bounty, which will hopefully result in even more quality homebrew games, applications and emulators!

We haven't settled the details yet, but as soon as we do, we'll post another news article. Though if you're a homebrew developer and intend to submit your creations to the bounty, you should know that the Bounty will only reward new homebrew or significant updates, so you'll have to get to work! The purpose of the bounty is to encourage new creations and updates, not to reward authors that would rest on their laurels. And contrary to the 2008 bounty, this edition will be run on a monthly basis. If you don't win this month, don't lose hope-- you might win next month!

The NDS Homebrew Bounty will be sponsored by ShopTemp.com and ShopTemp.fr

If you run a shop, a website or any organization and wish to join ShopTemp in sponsoring the Bounty on a monthly basis, feel free to PM me on the forums or use the contact email address (see "Contact" link in the menu on the front page). Any donation, even small, will be welcome and will encourage the homebrew scene!

icon11.gif
Read more about the previous editions of the Homebrew Bounty
icon38.gif
Many thanks to the generous sponsor and GBAtemp parntner shop ShopTemp.com

Gh0sti

iOS Guru
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wonder thou costello, with iplayer, scdstwo, and other flash carts with higher cpu, will it be categorized by higher end flash carts and lower end flash carts? or are you looking for just all around homebrew that will work on any cart?

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
that's a good question and it's one of the thing that we'll have to settle.
if an awesome homebrew gets released but is only compatible for the SCDSTWO, should it be eliminated or should it be eligible?
good question... if it was just me, I'd say it could enter yeah...

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Well seeing as the entire point of this is to encourage all new awesome homebrew I would have to say yes, even cart exclusive homebrew should be eligible. We don't want to discourage or exclude anyone.

Good job Shoptemp by the way! (this is the first Im hearing of this)

Everyone go buy an R4 now!
mad.gif

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FINALLY! I've been waiting for this to return. I want me some more awesome homebrew! I mean, what is there anymore?

...or maybe I just don't pay attention. Since the last Homebrew Bounties, has there been any awesome homebrew released?

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Glad to hear it's back, always wondered where it went since no official statement was made back in the day.
I really support this idea and think it's a fantastic idea and motivation for the developers!

D

Deleted User

Costello, does this mean I am a judge for the bounty again? I'd be glad to do it!

EpicJungle

stop browbeating me can't you see i'm sexy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
YES amazing homebrew will come :DD

I wish I knew c++ (or w/e it is) so i can make homebrew :D

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmm....

Time to dig up some old source code for forgotten projects, I think!

I want to continue developing a NGPC emulator for the DS if anyone wants to help?...

The DS should have more homebrew and this may be the incentive developers need...

Thanks GBAtemp and Shoptemp!

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Finally! I don't want to sound impatient, but I've really been waiting for this!
biggrin.gif
I'd love to judge again as well, even though I got in last time with being moderator at one of the donating websites. No matter what, I'm sure this will again be a great way to get more homebrew.

As for the cart exclusive homebrew: while developing homebrew for a specific cart shouldn't be encouraged too much, I'd say the homebrew should be allowed if using special features of a cart. So developing homebrew so it can only work on M3 carts just because they pay you shouldn't be allowed, but using the iPlayer/SCDS2 processor or M3/Ewin/3in1 RAM makes perfect sense.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's too bad I have an EZ-Flash Vi.

Wonderful wonderful flashcard for commercial ROMs.

Awful terrible flashcard for homebrew and emulators.

Clookster

Your Clookster
Banned
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
I'm against the idea that homebrew should get supported that needs special cpu / cards.

Homebrew should be available for everybody, not just those who're willing to afford $$$ on a special card.

Homebrew should be able to run on a $5 card. Otherwise it's not really Homebrew.

If Team SC want to promote their card, they could simply make an own contest. That's my opinion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/sGvT5FKSiyk?si=TYqsdjjbF-4N8Xc8