Switch Homebrew Bounty Month 3: Switch Emulators

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Costello, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m4xw

m4xw Ancient Deity

May 25, 2018
    Germany
    See, you clearly don't know what you talk about.
    If you think you can do it better, PR's are welcome.

lordelan and Joel16 like this.
  2. blahblah

blahblah GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2018
    United States
    I clearly do know what I am talking about. Anyone who's used Retroarch and also used a normal emulator knows what I'm talking about.

Retroarch as a concept is fundamentally flawed. No pull request can solve the problems core to the concept.

3. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    they are contributing $250 per event
    we can do whatever we want with your money if you win a prize yeah haha

lordelan, Joel16 and m4xw like this.
  4. rsn8887

rsn8887 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 8, 2015
    United States
    Last edited by rsn8887, Mar 5, 2019
    petarku likes this.
  5. Crusatyr

Crusatyr GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2016
    United States
    Honestly with an attitude like yours, don't enter it. This is supposed to benefit the scene and yet here you are essentially grandstanding over a small amount of money because "I need to be morally superior." Here's a thought for you though, Costello said TX has donated $250 for each event, that means they've donated $1000 to the scene. Put your money where your mouth is, and match them. If you win, donate ALL of your winnings to a charity of your choice. Show them you're the bigger man.

6. Essasetic

Essasetic Neutral

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Or if he wins more than $250. Just donate $250 to charity. Then he can invest the rest into further development.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also I stand by him. TX has been killing the homebrew scene by stealing code and claiming it as their own. Practically forcing others (like Blawar) to sell out to TX.

7. Crusatyr

Crusatyr GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2016
    United States
    Blawar didn't sell out to TX, he GAVE then Tinfoil/SX Installer to annoy the scene. Guess what? It worked. Honestly, ReSwitched has hurt the scene more than TX has. They spread lies about their own and other CFW, grandstand about being morally superior to everyone else, won't admit when there are bugs in their software, and worst of all lock opensource code behind their signing keys. All TX did was ignore copyleft.

8. Essasetic

Essasetic Neutral

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    That was after he acted like a child after everyone called him out on stealing the Tinfoil name. Also no. He most likely got paid a lot of money to give the source code to them. He wouldn't just give it away. Also notice how after he sold to TX his source code became closed source? Coincidence?

Ok. One thing I will admit is that the ReSwitched discord is overly strict and there have been perma bans for even a slight joke about piracy. But I completely disagree with you on that they've hurt the scene more than TX.

1. Show me that they've spread lies about their CFW.

2. Who specifically is standing a moral ground against anyone?

3. Again, show me examples of them denying bugs in the Atmosphere CFW.

4. Let me note that 95% of Sept is open source. The way that it's signed and encrypted. All open source for everyone to see. The only bit that isn't open source is the method to get the keys and the keys themselves. Now, I don't entirely blame them for this move. As TX has been copying and pasting their code without crediting or even acknowledging it.

Finally, yeah no. TX has been purposely out to ruin the homebrew scene for a while now. If Blawar wasn't a good enough example then let me mention the time that they tried to make M4xw's build of Retroarch (with OpenGL) exclusive to SX OS. That (of course) failed miserably. There's also the fact they stole the original Adubbz Tinfoil code back in 1.4 (which they did a very shit job of covering up btw). Again, without credit. And they've been pretty infamous to steal CTCaer Hekate fixes as well.

So please rephrase of how ReSwitched is harming the scene more than TX.

Last edited by Essasetic, Mar 3, 2019
  9. Crusatyr

Crusatyr GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2016
    United States
    His app became closed source LONG before he sold it to TX. @blawar can confirm this himself.

How about the time they claimed CREPORT will prevent bans or the fact that "ReiNX is a shitty clone of Atmosphere" despite the fact there are a bunch of differences between the two CFWs.

How about how anti-piracy they are, claiming legal nsps are a warez meme, and claiming all other CFWs are "used only for piracy".

How about the Freebird thread where mx4w kept claiming it was ReiNX that was bugged and thats why it was stable on Max cpu OC rather than atmosphere being unstable was the bug.

And let me note that there's no guarantee that sept.enc is actually composed of the code they've claimed. You can't vet it.

So like I said, they ignored copyleft. On the other hand, they gave their users emunand, a cheat engine, XCI and usb hdd loading, and the community the ability to interface with their usb HDD loading. These are all things missing from other CFWs.

I don't expect you to agree with my reasoning, but there it is for you.

10. Shrike

Shrike GBAtemp Regular

Mar 10, 2018
    Germany
    </Drama>

<PostFunEmulators>

Costello likes this.
  11. blawar

blawar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    DZ went closed source after the N1dus / Tinfoil drama, after which I stated that not only would I not release the source code, but that I would give it to TX for free. SX Installer was released several months after that @Essasetic

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

If you want it to feel like goldleaf, just install 7.0, start a NSP install, and then throw it into the wall while it's installing.

12. blahblah

blahblah GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2018
    United States
    There is no need for you to make nasty comments just because you are unable or unwilling to design a user interface that isn't horrendous.

13. blawar

Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    If you don't like it, submit a PR.

14. blahblah

blahblah GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2018
    United States
    To your closed source app? Yeah, okay. I'll get right on that.

15. blawar

Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    i accept binary patches.

16. blahblah

blahblah GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2018
    United States
    Yeah, no, you ridiculous child: I am not going to hack on your closed source binary. Grow up.

17. Essasetic

Essasetic Neutral

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Right, my bad then.

18. Hydr8gon

Hydr8gon Dragon Trainer

Dec 15, 2014
    Canada
    Heh, I see we've been having some fun here. Anyways, I just released an update for melonDS for Switch, so I suppose it counts for this competition! Here's the download center page, and here's the forum post. Good luck to everyone, hopefully we see more competition soon :P

lordelan, hallo23, rsn8887 and 2 others like this.
  19. cobjak

cobjak Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2019
    France
    Good luck all you all deserve to win

20. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    5 days until this competition ends.

if you've got something you plan to submit, now may be a good time to post...

cpasjuste likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.