Gaming Nintendo DS Games in Traditional Mandarin?

AppleJuice

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do they exist or is everything in Simplified?

I know the DS was released in Taiwan around the same time as it was released in Korea.
Perhaps there are localized Taiwanese versions of games that use traditional mandarin.
Or maybe a language choice in the Chinese releases?

BiscuitBee

Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Umm, Chinese is a universal written language. It doesn't matter if you speak Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghai-Dialect, Yiwu-ish, etc etc.

With that said, if you found any Chinese game, at least the written part will be understandable. Spoken? I have no idea.

AppleJuice

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If only life were that simple!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplified_Chinese_Characters
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_Chinese_character

QUOTE said:
Traditional characters are used officially in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau. Among overseas Chinese communities (except for Singapore and Malaysia), traditional characters are most commonly used.[1] In contrast, Simplified Chinese characters are used in mainland China, Singapore and Malaysia in official publications.

QUOTESome characters were simplified by applying regular rules; for example, by replacing all occurrences of a certain component with a simpler variant. Some characters were simplified irregularly, however, and some simplified characters are very dissimilar to and unpredictable from traditional characters. Finally, many characters were left untouched by simplification, and are thus identical between the traditional and simplified Chinese orthographies.

Essentially, if you read traditional, it does not neccessarily mean you will have an easy time understanding simplified (although it is often possible to make an accurate guess). The Chinese games that I have seen are in Simplified.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
BiscuitBee said:
Umm, Chinese is a universal written language. It doesn't matter if you speak Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghai-Dialect, Yiwu-ish, etc etc.

With that said, if you found any Chinese game, at least the written part will be understandable. Spoken? I have no idea.

It is my understanding a few decades back the Chinese government decided people were not literate enough and redid a bunch of the language to make it "easier"/drop the characters that had about 3 uses in recorded history thus causing a split between the in China based users of the language (simplified Chinese) and the people that use it elsewhere in the world (becoming traditional Chinese). There are also further differences but I am not knowledgeable on the matter so I will say no more.

Back on topic I try to keep an eye on the Chinese translation scene (some great tools and info come out of it) but it is mostly geared towards simplified Chinese/mainland China. The commercial release scene is fairly pitiful (see ique releases). I have seen some hybrid forms where multiple translators were involved and the subject matter was relevant but as for straight up traditional there is nothing.

AppleJuice

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks a lot FAST6191.

Maybe I can find some traditional in the Chinese translation scene. I'll see what I can find.

It's a shame there is nothing official though.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Just to clarify the reason for post number 2, you should have said "Traditional Chinese," instead of "Traditional Mandarin." Cantonese speakers still read and write the same characters as Mandarin speakers.

FlameTakuya

Trophies
Website
rsx0806.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Senegal
BiscuitBee said:

Chinese is not only written in one way.

Also,

From what I see... There are only traditional Chinese games around.

And it's a good thing too. Easier for me to read. >.>

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1