Nintendo DS Games in Traditional Mandarin?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by AppleJuice, Aug 19, 2008.

Aug 19, 2008
  1. AppleJuice
    OP

Member AppleJuice GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Do they exist or is everything in Simplified?

I know the DS was released in Taiwan around the same time as it was released in Korea.
    Perhaps there are localized Taiwanese versions of games that use traditional mandarin.
    Or maybe a language choice in the Chinese releases?

2. BiscuitBee

Member BiscuitBee Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug

Canada
    Umm, Chinese is a universal written language. It doesn't matter if you speak Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghai-Dialect, Yiwu-ish, etc etc.

With that said, if you found any Chinese game, at least the written part will be understandable. Spoken? I have no idea.

3. AppleJuice
    OP

United Kingdom
    If only life were that simple!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplified_Chinese_Characters
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_Chinese_character

Essentially, if you read traditional, it does not neccessarily mean you will have an easy time understanding simplified (although it is often possible to make an accurate guess). The Chinese games that I have seen are in Simplified.

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    It is my understanding a few decades back the Chinese government decided people were not literate enough and redid a bunch of the language to make it "easier"/drop the characters that had about 3 uses in recorded history thus causing a split between the in China based users of the language (simplified Chinese) and the people that use it elsewhere in the world (becoming traditional Chinese). There are also further differences but I am not knowledgeable on the matter so I will say no more.

Back on topic I try to keep an eye on the Chinese translation scene (some great tools and info come out of it) but it is mostly geared towards simplified Chinese/mainland China. The commercial release scene is fairly pitiful (see ique releases). I have seen some hybrid forms where multiple translators were involved and the subject matter was relevant but as for straight up traditional there is nothing.

5. AppleJuice
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks a lot FAST6191.

Maybe I can find some traditional in the Chinese translation scene. I'll see what I can find.

It's a shame there is nothing official though.

6. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    Just to clarify the reason for post number 2, you should have said "Traditional Chinese," instead of "Traditional Mandarin." Cantonese speakers still read and write the same characters as Mandarin speakers.

7. FlameTakuya

Member FlameTakuya GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Singapore
    Chinese is not only written in one way.

Also,

From what I see... There are only traditional Chinese games around.

And it's a good thing too. Easier for me to read. >.>