Hacking Discussion Nintendo banning from CDN

yadspi

Trophies
XP
Country
Well shit, it's true, I think I'll sell this Switch and buy a new one, I can't use homebrew in lots of devices, the downsides are way more than before.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I won't touch a CDN client until there's either a donor cert used publically, or a certless alternative crops up.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So basically this means banned users will have to rely on devmenu heavily, but if the said nsp game,update, and dlc requires a new firmware they are shit out of luck
I thought you could mount a pirated XCI as a gamecard, and update offline with it?

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I thought you could mount a pirated XCI as a gamecard, and update offline with it?

Pretty sure that's the case. Looking at the tutorial for updating without burning fuses, that seems to use the update files found in dumped .xci games

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you figure that one? it banned you from XBL nothing more, if you didn't go online the console was still fully working.

To be a pedant I do have to bring up the time they banned offline video watching for banned consoles.

I believe there was something else that was disabled with a hardware ban occured too, but I can't remember. Something about digital games becoming unplayable or something similar. It was when the 360 was still relevant and JTAG was relatively new.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I won't touch a CDN client until there's either a donor cert used publically, or a certless alternative crops up.

No one's going to want to share certs, public certs would get nuked extremely fast. No incentive to volunteer a cert aside from the handful of bricks, and those would run out very quick.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The former is going to get banned almost instantly if Nintendo knows what they're doing and the latter will likely never happen from what people have been saying about the server security.

zaku

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
But why are people using freeshop? Are they really so lazy they don't want to take 5 mins and find update/dlc nsp on rom site?

Reactions: Jayro

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ahh, that's something I never used TBH, other than that was there anything else?

That was another cat and mouse game, ixtreme etc, things have probably come a long way since then though, for security checks anyway

Yeah the onboard video capabilities were awful (not quite "MPEG4 capable DVD player" but often specific format requirements), worse if you had come up with XBMC on the original xbox and were used to such things. It did however lead to the "flagged but not banned" discussions.

As for "coming a long way" then not really. The same sorts of tools and techniques are available to Nintendo here.

I believe there was something else that was disabled with a hardware ban occured too, but I can't remember. Something about digital games becoming unplayable or something similar. It was when the 360 was still relevant and JTAG was relatively new.
There is something ringing a bell but nothing I can recall was long term other than the video decoders. If nothing else denying someone access to your private luxury network is one thing, denying them the option to use something they legally own is quite another.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been skimming a bit, so maybe this has been said, but are they only blocking online system updates or updates from game carts as well?

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah, what I meant if you made the backup of the untouched and unbanned console, you're all okay. Of course it won't help if you're already banned.
I'm not talking about making the backup before being banned x after being banned.
Having a nand backup from before being banned won't help getting unbanned because if your CERT is banned it is logged and flagged on nintendo's servers (in case you connect online while hacking, and surprise, the cert will be the same on your console and your backup). When you restore the nand backup only your console "will think" that it's not banned until it checks with a nintendo server, the nintendo server will then send a error message that your console cert is banned already. In the end, restoring the backup won't get your access to eShop, CDN and online back.

TL;DR Having a nand backup from before being banned is useless to unban your console if you manage to get your actual console CERT banned in first place.

Last edited by Tomy Sakazaki,

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
I've been skimming a bit, so maybe this has been said, but are they only blocking online system updates or updates from game carts as well?
You could probably still update your switch using a game cart but everything else that involves connecting to nintendo's servers and using their online services is blocked.

Reactions: godreborn

011.guilherme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is it legal for Nintendo to prevent users from having access to system updates?
I'm not clear on what is or isn't ok for them to do even if the user hacked their console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr