Hardware Nintendo 3DS XL charges but does not power on

slidemat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi!

I recently bought a Nintendo 3DS XL that was said to be broken with and idea in mind that I’ll repair it and use. It was not booting up, when power was hit the blue LED light up, bottom screen flashed for a moment and then I hear a popping sound - device turns off after that. I looked online and it was said that most likely it is a broken flex cable connecting the speakers.

When I opened up a console I saw that it was water damaged and some corrosion happened on flex cable connectors so I cleaned them up with IPA and tried to turn it on again - same results as before. I then ordered a new flex cable and with a lot of struggle I managed to replace it.

I put everything together, close it up and try to power it on again and boom! It won’t boot up, but not like before - it does not even light any of the LEDs. When a charger is plugged in, orange LED lights up, but when I click a power button it turns off and lights up again.

I thought that maybe I did something wrong and damaged something more so I disconnected a speaker ribbon cable and tried to boot it up again. It did the same thing as before I replaced the cable - blue LED pops up, screen flashes for a second and it turns off - this time without a popping sound (as expected, hard to make a sound without speakers).

I checked a battery voltage and fuses on the way and they are OK.

Do you guys have any idea what could go wrong? Is the not powering on problem related somehow to a flex cable replacement? Or maybe this new problem is not related and the 3DS XL’s booting process goes further then before and stops somewhere else?

Reactions: Broomoperator

ClickCLK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
idk what you with speaker connectors, but blue light goes off with aflashing screen and a pop is a problem with display backlight. Try to reseat all the flex cables that goes to your LCDs, both bottom one and upper one.

Reactions: IC_

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The new replaced flex cable is probably causing a short circuit somehow, you're lucky that it didn't blow any fuses.
Do the cables for the top screen look normal? Flashing bottom screen usually means that there's a problem with the top screen or it's not connected properly, it's not only the speaker part that could be damaged.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    500 GB NVMe, 750 GB
    SATA SSD 1 TB HDD
    honestly I don't play pc games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Once I buy this I'll be around 20tb worth of storage tho if we're talking all my drives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All this crap I got and all I do is pick up the GabeDick to fiddle with his happy stick
    idk the total storage cap I have
    50 TB orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I don't play PC games often. Mostly its all 90s-00s games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hm doing research quite possible my issue with this drive is bios related not detecting it fully
    run crystaldisk?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't think it would do much if gnome live even sees it as 2mb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vmd issue possibly
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vmd issue possibly