Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendo 3DS source code leaked

3ds.png

Two in a row today!

The item of interest, barely four hours after the last major drop, consists of partial source code for the Nintendo 3DS family updated as of October 2014:

• Source code for the 3DS bootroms and kernels, including modules (drivers) for 3DS mode.
  • Precompiled DSi and GBA bootroms (the latter being the NDS variant).
  • Source code for most developer titles, including many not directly released to licensed developers.

The above list is the result of a cursory analysis: it may contain inaccuracies. However, notably, it does not contain any regular system application or applet, meaning the inevitable question about what this means for the 300 icon limit can already be answered.

ctr.7z - SHA1: 67026A413E08577B9F174168A7F02A8751571E87 - info-hash: 6efb571ce3eec59dfa6d6627da6581292a3e6a57

[platform=/platform/3ds]Old Nintendo 3DS[/platform]

Last edited by Ryccardo, , Reason: fixed link

Sundree

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As hype as it is, that we got the 3DS source code now, on the flip-side of the coin, I don't really see any way a common person with a CFW 3DS would get something out of the source-code being leaked. As far as I know this would properly only help hard-ware modders, and bootleg Chinese manufactures.

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As hype as it is, that we got the 3DS source code now, on the flip-side of the coin, I don't really see any way a common person with a CFW 3DS would get something out of the source-code being leaked. As far as I know this would properly only help hard-ware modders, and bootleg Chinese manufactures.

Ah you're right there'll probably be bootleg Chinese 3DS' come out that break in 3 months, and they'll sell them on Ebay and they'll look exactly like real ones.

Reactions: Sundree

Sundree

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah you're right there'll probably be bootleg Chinese 3DS' come out that break in 3 months, and they'll sell them on Ebay and they'll look exactly like real ones.
Wonder if they'll have the guts to make the main menu ui look exactly the same in the Ebay screenshots. lol

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Clone consoles are cool but as for like real ones then assuming it is not ghost shift (are they even still being made?) have you not seen clone consoles this last... I can't remember when we first saw the first NES on a chip things or maybe those clone gameboys but yeah we are probably closing in on two decades at this point.

LinusRG

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Two in a row today!

The item of interest, barely four hours after the last major drop, consists of partial source code for the Nintendo 3DS family updated as of October 2014:

• Source code for the 3DS bootroms and kernels, including modules (drivers) for 3DS mode.
  • Precompiled DSi and GBA bootroms (the latter being the NDS variant).
  • Source code for most developer titles, including many not directly released to licensed developers.

The above list is the result of a cursory analysis: it may contain inaccuracies. However, notably, it does not contain any regular system application or applet, meaning the inevitable question about what this means for the 300 icon limit can already be answered.

ctr.7z - SHA1: 67026A413E08577B9F174168A7F02A8751571E87 - info-hash: 6efb571ce3eec59dfa6d6627da6581292a3e6a57

[platform=/platform/3ds]Old Nintendo 3DS[/platform]
Just out of curiosity, why can't people who have cfw just dump the nand and get the source code from there. (I am trying to understand this for myself.) And without source code how was the 3ds hackable in the first place?

Last edited by LinusRG,
Reactions: Nutez

zecoxao

Trophies
XP
Country
Just out of curiosity, why can't people who have cfw just dump the nand and get the source code from there. (I am trying to understand this for myself.)
because it's extremely hard to reverse engineer code, even if it's arm and you have decompilers in ghidra or leaked ida for it, specially thousands of lines code without any naming or comment

Reactions: LinusRG

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just out of curiosity, why can't people who have cfw just dump the nand and get the source code from there. (I am trying to understand this for myself.) And without source code how was the 3ds hackable in the first place?

Is not like that how it works. I'll do a simple analogy:

Imagine that the 3DS as as system (and in your case, the NAND dump) is the ultimate dish in the world and the recipe is kept with an amazing level of secrecy among some people, and to reproduce it exactly you need a full recipe. In this analogy, we could say that the recipe is the source code.

Now, you could say that with enough time and effort, the ingredients from said dish could be figured out by analizing the components and taste of every part of the dish in some extent, so this part could represent the current findings from the reverse engineering made to date to the 3DS, but it doesn't end here.

There is a missing and a very important part in the recipe:
The exact steps and procedure to make it completely identical, this includes: the exact ingredients, the exact order to add the ingredients while cooking the dish, the procedence of said ingredients, brand and quality of those same ingredients and some cooking techniques made by the chefs only and no one else.

Now try to figure out everything by yourself, and as you could already be thinking, the result you'll get could be what are you aiming for, but never the exact same.

So with this analogy, we could say that some parts of this processes have been incredibly figured out by hackers and made it possible to load external firms at coldboot on the 3DS.

So as you can see up to this point, is not that easy to get the full source code by just trying to reverse engineer everything, some parts could be left inaccurate or unknown for years as the exact steps are only guesses that managed to work by thousands of hit an miss attempts made, and some other parts just work because, believe it or not, they simply work with no explanation whatsoever.

So the meaning of this leak doesn't need a further explanation now that you can see the magnitude of the content included on it.

Last edited by DSoryu,

LinusRG

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Imagine that the 3DS is the ultimate dish in the world and the recipe is kept with an amazing level of secrecy among some people, and to reproduce it exactly you need a full recipe. In this analogy, we could say that the recipe is the source code.

Now, you could say that with enough time and effort, the ingredients from said dish could be figured out by analizing the components and taste of every part of the dish in some extent, so this part could represent the current findings from the reverse engineering made to date to the 3DS, but it doesn't end here.

The exact steps and procedure to make it completely identical, this includes: the exact ingredients, the exact order to add the ingredients while cooking the dish, the procedence of said ingredients, brand and quality of those same ingredients and some cooking techniques made by the chefs only and no one else.

Now try to figure out everything by yourself, and as you could already be thinking, the result you'll get could be what are you aiming for, but never the exact same.

So with this analogy, we could say that some parts of this processes have been incredibly figured out by hackers and made it possible to load external firms at coldboot on the 3DS.

So as you can see up to this point, is not that easy to get the full source code by just trying to reverse engineer everything, some parts could be left inaccurate or unknown for years as the exact steps are only guesses that managed to work by thousands of hit an miss attempts made, and some other parts just workn because, believ or not, they simply work with no explanation whatsoever.

So the meaning of this leak doesn't need a further explanation now that you can see the magnitude of the content included on it.
Thanks for this, it makes alot more sense now. Also, could we figure out how to boot 3rd party firm files straight from the bootrom because similar firm files are used with arm processors in things like phones? Also does linux/unix use similar firm files to boot up the OS, which would make it even easier to make firm files that can trick the 3ds into booting them?

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Imagine that the 3DS as as system (and in your case, the NAND dump) is the ultimate dish in the world and the recipe is kept with an amazing level of secrecy among some people, and to reproduce it exactly you need a full recipe. In this analogy, we could say that the recipe is the source code.

So as you can see up to this point, is not that easy to get the full source code by just trying to reverse engineer everything, some parts could be left inaccurate or unknown for years as the exact steps are only guesses that managed to work by thousands of hit an miss attempts made, and some other parts just work because, believe it or not, they simply work with no explanation whatsoever.

To put it shortly: Reverse engineering is like solving a puzzle while blind.

EduAAA

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

Yes, people keep developing all kind of shit for Switch, and 3DS scene get nothing new neither finished.

Fin

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That was already there before the source leak ;)
You could also link some new cheats for whatever game or a new release of twilight menu, the pksm tool keep being updated... that doesn't invalidate my point

In the scene, the definition of "new" is not necessarily "new homebrew", it is often updates and recent commits on already made homebrew, as in most cases these updates bring new functionallities that weren't there before, a great example is nds-bootstrap that is evolving quite good lately, and is a matter of time that the new rtcom functions come live to change how we use nds mode software.

EduAAA

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
In the scene, the definition of "new" is not necessarily "new homebrew", it is often updates and recent commits on already made homebrew, as in most cases these updates bring new functionallities that weren't there before, a great example is nds-bootstrap that is evolving quite good lately, and is a matter of time that the new rtcom functions come live to change how we use nds mode software.
yep, all of that thanks to the source leak, right?
There is an amiibo emulator homebrew for switch since I don't know when, that no one cared to port to 3DS. Maybe it's not possible, maybe it is, it didn't happen anyway.
I hope 3DS scene gets more love, really I do, I just don't think this event is going to make a difference for 3DS scene.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
There is an amiibo emulator homebrew for switch since I don't know when, that no one cared to port to 3DS. Maybe it's not possible, maybe it is, it didn't happen anyway.

yep, all of that thanks to the switch source leak, right?
Oh, wait...

I hope 3DS scene gets more love, really I do, I just don't think this event is going to make a difference for 3DS scene.

me too and all of us, to the point that I realized that if you want something ever done, the better option is to make it by yourself. I got the chance to learn how to code things for the 3DS and even the DS, in order to contribute to some of the things I mentioned above, and the results are quite satisfating, buuut, the problem is the time I currently have, is so tiny that I can't even advance at a rate I would want.

Last edited by DSoryu,
Reactions: iMackshun

LinusRG

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yep, all of that thanks to the switch source leak, right?
Oh, wait...

me too and all of us, to the point that I realized that if you want something ever done, the better option is to make it by yourself. I got the chance to learn how to code things for the 3DS and even the DS, in order to contribute to some of the things I mentioned above, and the results are quite satisfating, buuut, the problem is the time I currently have, is so tiny that I can't even advance at a rate I would want.
I am not good a coding, I am only really good at understanding how the backed of OSes work, along with how hardware works. Because of this I am unable to do this myself. But if possible could someone code a universal remote app for the 3ds? This would help out me and my family a lot as basically all of our remotes are broken. And we could save quite a bit of money if we do things in this way. (We are not tight on money, just why buy new things when you have devices that can perform the same tasks and you already own those devices.)

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am not good a coding, I am only really good at understanding how the backed of OSes work, along with how hardware works. Because of this I am unable to do this myself. But if possible could someone code a universal remote app for the 3ds? This would help out me and my family a lot as basically all of our remotes are broken. And we could save quite a bit of money if we do things in this way. (We are not tight on money, just why buy new things when you have devices that can perform the same tasks and you already own those devices.)
Remotes wont work. The IR range on them is only meant for having 2 consoles basically inches from each other. A remote would have to work under that same ir tech the console has. meaning you would have to get very close to a tv each time you wanted to turn it off. on. or change channels.

Reactions: LinusRG

iSubaru

Kitsune
Trophies
Website
clash-of-gods.netau.net
XP
Country
Poland
If they would upgrade security - if there is any even to be upgraded - instead of paying lots and lots of money for "lawyers" to hunt innocent fan game makers, maybe they wouldn't be what they are now... crap...
R.I.P. Iwata, what have they done to your garden...

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they would upgrade security - if there is any even to be upgraded - instead of paying lots and lots of money for "lawyers" to hunt innocent fan game makers, maybe they wouldn't be what they are now... crap...
R.I.P. Iwata, what have they done to your garden...

If they pay for better security, that comes out their own pocket.

If they send lawyers to sue people, they add to their pockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended