Nintendo’s Fall Media Summit - Discussion

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Hadrian, Oct 1, 2008.

Oct 1, 2008
  1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Nintendo are going to hold a media summit tomorrow and a lot of people in the media are getting hyped about it mainly due to this leaked new DS thing that is going around.

Some rumour round up:
    New DS with camera, MP3 playback and SD slot.
    Long rumoured Factor 5 revitalisation of an Nintendo franchise (Kid Icarus?). Apparently it wasn't ready to show at E3.
    Punch-Out Wii
    Pikmin 3 Wii or a DS title called Piktura? We know that there is a new Pikmin in develooment.

Likely to feature:
    Kirby & Wario's games from last week.
    Rhythm Heaven
    Wii Music
    Disaster: Day of Crisis
    GTA DS
    More WiiMotion Plus stuff as well as Wii Sports 2.
    Various WiiWare titles like Tetris.

So it could be a big thing, something to go "ah yes this makes up for E3" but then it could also be "yeah yeah I know about that move on".

The last media summit had:
    WiiFit
    Super Smash Bros Brawl
    Mario Kart Wii
    Mario Super Sluggers
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time
    WiiWare

Not really much new, just new footage and hands on of stuff we've seen before.

So you wanna discuss this? Are you expecting the big N to deliver this time? Do you think that there are some big announcements coming? Are you expecting to not see much at all?

My thought's are that there better be some all new DS & Wii titles announced, otherwise the first half next year is gonna be pretty bleak. Nintendo usually have 4 big games lined up on both systems but from Nintendo on the DS are: Rhythm Heaven, Pokemon Platinum (no confirmation but it will be released but meh?, DS Air (not even a date or anything it was just listed in April) and erm. Potentially there is also Soul Bringer, ASH & Hercules but no confirmation of those. Still nothing massive really is there? As much as I loved the Japanese version of Rhythm Heaven, its not a big game. And then there is also the fact that all of those are 2nd party games! Not one is developed by Nintendo themselves!

Perhaps the 1st party devs are working on something for the new DS, perhaps the new DS is more than a redesign. Kinda unlikely seeing that the DS phat/lite variation is still doing very well, a lot of people have a DS so making new games for something that won't be compatible for those handhelds would be a mistake. The redesign new features however will be appealing for those who don't have any other handhelds devices that can do music, camera funtions etc.

As for the Wii, what does Nintendo have in store for it? Wii Music, Animal Crossing, Wii Sports 2 and Disaster: Day of Crisis. All of those Wii games apart from WS2 will be released this year and even still none have the wow factor of Smash Bros, Zelda or Mario Galaxy. There are also WiiWare titles but they all seem to be handheld to 2nd & 3rd party developers.

Oh well, discuss on?

2. Foppzter

Member Foppzter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
  3. Alerek

Member Alerek GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Based on this years E3, tomorrow is going to have to rock hard in order to bring me hope for Ninty as far as the rest of this year and the first half of 2009 is concerned.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I was pretty disappointed with their presentation....It just made them look like they were embracing their moneymaker instead of tending to the fans as they have in the past.

New DS with an SD slot........that could be real fun, and a camera would open doors for home brewers the world over.

4. eldaddio

Newcomer eldaddio Advanced Member

United Kingdom
  5. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    New Hardware:

- Wii Pedometer
    - New DS Colors
    - Wii Colors

New Software:

- Wii Music
    - Wii Music 2
    - Wii Sports 2

New Announcements:

- Sales are very high
    - Profits are very high
    - Strong emphasis on the casual gamer
    - Utter reassurance that the core gamer is still on the roadmap

End of conference.

6. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    There are two media summits going on right? One at the US and one at Japan..

The new DS rumor is looking pretty solid now, it should be the focus of the conference..

Gamekyo is saying that Nintendo has a new game of an old franchise to show (http://www.gamekyo.com/newsen29138_nintendo-reviving-an-old-franchise-for-the-wii.html).. could be the new Kid Icarus that IGN been talking about for more then a year now [​IMG]

Also, we know that Mario and Zelda teams are working on something, and a new Pikmin is confirmed.. maybe we'll have some information on those..

Anyway, I learned my lesson at E3.. I'm not hopping for anything, I'll just read the news about it and I'm fine with whatever they show..

7. ZenZero

Member ZenZero GBATEMP's regular arse.

United Kingdom
    will there be a press presentation watchable online like at E3

8. Raven Darkheart

Member Raven Darkheart The Radioactive Flamer

United States
    i'd rather be cautiously optimistic about this. i'd rather NOT see the new ds as ive said before it makes no financial sense,

but maybe they'll surprise us on the gaming front like konami did with the news of a suikoden game coming out...

9. CockroachMan

Brazil
    Indeed.. there are a lot possibilities for homebrew apps with the camera [​IMG]

10. Hitto

Member Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

France
    I can spoil it for you :

First half : WE MAKE BUTTLOADS OF MONEY LOL
    Second half : MINIGAAAAAAAMES

11. hova1

Member hova1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    10:30pm MST

12. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Hmm...not really. Nintendo's relationship with its audience is kind of like the husband who cheats on his wife; he always apologizes, begging for forgiveness and professing his undying love for his spouse, but he never stops cheating. Why? Because he can. And Nintendo can. No matter how much we criticize them or how many mistakes they own up to, they continue to grow exponentially profit-wise.

So, will they try to woo and impress us? Probably not. Sure, we can likely expect the new-DS rumor to be true, but it's not going to be a DS2 system but a DS upgrade. Meh...

13. CockroachMan

Brazil
    Also, I'm expecting NoA to finally date Disaster for America on their conference tomorrow..

And, just cause I can't resist a little bet.. they'll announce that they're publishing The Conduit.. [​IMG]

14. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    The way I see it, if there is no 2d Metroid, F-zero, Punch Out or new arcade compilations for DS, then the show will be a bust for me.

My prediction for this show? Disappointment.

15. m-dog

Newcomer m-dog Advanced Member

Netherlands
    Its going to go down like this

Whe are glad to annoance that these games...

GTA WII
    Halo DS
    Metroid Dread
    NSMB2
    Super smash bros ds
    Pikman ds
    Kid icarus ds and wii

...Are not in development

Screw you core gamers..where going 100% casual

16. Seven

Member Seven oh hell no

United States
    This. Very this. The mentioning of Wii Music often created some mockery discussions with some friends. It's all downhill from here, I can smell it.