NGP (PSP2) announced!

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest the device itself is somewhat meaningless now. I think Sony dropped the ball on this one. They're too busy listing off features without actually addressing their most crucial failing. Their current 'front end' software experience all suck.

Nintendo and Sony's competition is the iPhone/iPad/iTouch. They're not competing with each other anymore. People are going to start asking

1) Ok I have an iTouch/iPad, so why do I need another gaming system?
2) Ok I have an iPhone which does games already, why do I need something else that does only games?

And the reality is that devs could make PSP/DS type games on current Apple devices without much issue.

I think the only issue why publishers might not be going too hard core on the Apple stuff is because of the rock bottom pricing required to get cheap users to buy stuff on there. There's just a huge psychological barrier for people using Apple stores now to anything over 99 cents. If that rock bottom pricing structure continues, it might help Nintendo/Sony to survive perhaps one more iteration. But they really need to look at Xbox Live and the iPad/iPhone store and see how the total user experience of not just playing games, but buying them, as well as everything else. Rovio (Angry Birds) isn't on the Android Store because there's no good integration of a payment system within the game itself. They're separate and it's pretty jarring for most users. Users are expecting a lot more integration and easy of use from their experience and will migrate to the defacto standard, Apple, if your device doesn't.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Well well well, Sony has hit an all time low. If you're using media components and trying to disguise it with a 3G/Wifi bonus then epic fail to them. Trying to buy the customers just because it acts like a smartphone is truly the most pathetic excuse of marketing I have ever seen. Sooner or later, it's going to have an update about 3D imagery or install it on the next NGP3D.

The only credit I give to them is that you can play mostly PS1, PS2, and PS3 on there. It will cost you a hefty price!

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
Now THIS is a handheld/handheld console worthy of a launch day purchase
biggrin.gif

Relf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
2) Ok I have an iPhone which does games already, why do I need something else that does only games?

Call me crazy but those 2 questions overlap a great deal.

The answer to both is this: Because the iPad/iPhone doesn't play MarioFinalFantasyDisgaeaLaytonAceWrightPokemonScribblenautsZeldaLegoSaGaTalesAdv
nceWars and another dozen or so classic series. Kind of like the PSP, have as nice of a hardware as you want if you don't have the games gamers want...

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
doyama said:

1- Ok that was retarded. iStuff aren't gaming systems.
2- Ok try to find at your app store any game at the level of an actual gaming system game.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Leo Cantus said:
ProtoKun7 said:
Design doesn't look bad; whether I choose to get one or not remains to be seen.

Costello said:
that looks really nice. 3G and GPS wow!
what does NGP mean though?

NeoGeoPocket??
wtf.gif
You know, the same thought crossed my mind when I saw that.
rofl.gif
Next Generation Portable
I know what it stands for.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
doyama said:
To be honest the device itself is somewhat meaningless now. I think Sony dropped the ball on this one. They're too busy listing off features without actually addressing their most crucial failing. Their current 'front end' software experience all suck.

Nintendo and Sony's competition is the iPhone/iPad/iTouch. They're not competing with each other anymore. People are going to start asking

And the reality is that devs could make PSP/DS type games on current Apple devices without much issue.

I think the only issue why publishers might not be going too hard core on the Apple stuff is because of the rock bottom pricing required to get cheap users to buy stuff on there. There's just a huge psychological barrier for people using Apple stores now to anything over 99 cents. If that rock bottom pricing structure continues, it might help Nintendo/Sony to survive perhaps one more iteration. But they really need to look at Xbox Live and the iPad/iPhone store and see how the total user experience of not just playing games, but buying them, as well as everything else. Rovio (Angry Birds) isn't on the Android Store because there's no good integration of a payment system within the game itself. They're separate and it's pretty jarring for most users. Users are expecting a lot more integration and easy of use from their experience and will migrate to the defacto standard, Apple, if your device doesn't.

After I saw 'Angry Birds' I just stop carrying about your post. If you're going to argue about something a game that took the same physics of another internet game, they were smart to perfect it, & market the app to Apple instead to the Android Store. Also look at how many times you have to BUY a new itouch/ipad/iphone due to the fact it can't internally update itself, new the features like face-time and better GUI. Most times, Apple users hate to buy another device that's the same exact thing but becomes obselete when the Itunes aren't compatable with them anymore.

Mr.Mysterio

Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I can see myself fumbling with the system trying to use the rear touchpad and dropping it.
Two analog sticks, touchscreen,gyroscope and a rear touchpad is overkill IMO.
Too many control options in that Uncharted tech demo really slowed the pace of the game down.

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
doyama said:

But what about controls? The one thing I can't stand about games on the ipod are touch screen controls. Have you ever tried playing a shooter on the ipod touch? it doesn't work well.

Anyway, this looks really good. As long as the price isn't too high I'll probably get one.

MeritsAlone

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Really interesting~~
However if it will just play PS3 game i am gonna be a bit disappointed, but of course its gonna get exclusives... and hopefully someone will homebrew hack it

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Sony said:
Revolutionary gaming experiences with dual analog sticks, front and rear cameras, front multi-touch display, multi-touch rear pad, GPS, SIXAXIS® motion sensors, and three-axis electronic compass.
Stunning multi-touch 5-inch Organic Light Emitting Display (OLED).
Always On connectivity via Wi-Fi and 3G

That thing is 90% horse shit that is not necesary /is uncomfortable for gaming and just makes the price go higher and higher.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I hope games don't milk all these input abilities.
It's nice that they are there but it's not fun to have to use a touch screen, buttons and gyro in one game, hopefully just there for the tech demo(s)

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not impressed, I won't rent this from sony or that is how act when you buy their brand. "You don't Own t". Google is your friend.

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ferret7463 said:
Not impressed, I won't rent this from sony or that is how act when you buy their brand. "You don't Own t". Google is your friend.
Where did you hear this? Are all the games DLC and not on carts?

I'm actually pretty surprised by the graphic quality. When I heard "PS3 graphics" I was thinking it was going to be like how the PSP has "PS2 graphics". The pics do tell a different story. The specs look impressive, but raise on important question: How much is this thing going to cost? I mean the 3DS is $250 and its no where near this powerful.

Though I doubt it will happen, I really hope Sony brings this to PAX East. It would be perfect (for me)!!

MeritsAlone

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ramonra said:
Sony said:
Revolutionary gaming experiences with dual analog sticks, front and rear cameras, front multi-touch display, multi-touch rear pad, GPS, SIXAXIS® motion sensors, and three-axis electronic compass.
Stunning multi-touch 5-inch Organic Light Emitting Display (OLED).
Always On connectivity via Wi-Fi and 3G

That thing is 90% horse shit that is not necesary /is uncomfortable for gaming and just makes the price go higher and higher.

The price is 250-300$ so, i have to agree on that, then again im guesssing the OLED and 3G is impressive, i can see the phone companies starting to reserve these for binding them...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D