NGP has no Internal Memory

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
No internal storage? Seems a bit stupid for a platform on which Sony will be releasing download and retail versions of games simultaneously. I wouldn't expect too much storage, maybe 8GB minimum model but some would be welcome rather than forcing a consumer to buy a memory stick before downloading games when you proclaim it to be a big feature of the console.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Jamstruth said:
No internal storage? Seems a bit stupid for a platform on which Sony will be releasing download and retail versions of games simultaneously. I wouldn't expect too much storage, maybe 8GB minimum model but some would be welcome rather than forcing a consumer to buy a memory stick before downloading games when you proclaim it to be a big feature of the console.
That's why the Premium model will feature 16GB of internal memory.

Probably.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Surely this is good news for pirates? If other companies go the same way as this (ie. no, or very little, internal storage) then it is extremely unlikely that they will then make us download games, as there's no space to put them
tongue.gif
! This means games will have to bought traditional, from a shop, meaning they are pirateble.

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Dib, shit changes.

The first Blu-ray RW drive was over $600.
Now they can be had for $100.

Medium costs go down as time goes on and production ramps up. As twiz said you can grab a 2Gb SD for a few bucks retail, they cost much, much less to produce now than when they did years ago.
SD cards are a lot more popular and more widely supported, though, there aren't many peripherals that use memory sticks outside of the PSP, especially outside of sony's product line; for the same storage capacity, a memory stick is noticeably more expensive, and have barely dropped in price compared to SD cards.
not that it matters, since microSD to memory stick adapters are cheap and common.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
KingVamp said:
So... you can't pirate download games...

not if you have a system similar to steam. If consoles became like that they'd have to have internal storage. So it is now unlikely that they will do this as they are taking a step in the wrong direction.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Advi said:
Rydian said:
Dib, shit changes.

Medium costs go down as time goes on and production ramps up. As twiz said you can grab a 2Gb SD for a few bucks retail, they cost much, much less to produce now than when they did years ago.
SD cards are a lot more popular and more widely supported, though, there aren't many peripherals that use memory sticks outside of the PSP, especially outside of sony's product line; for the same storage capacity, a memory stick is noticeably more expensive, and have barely dropped in price compared to SD cards.
not that it matters, since microSD to memory stick adapters are cheap and common.
Which is why Dib's point was all wrong...
He was trying to say that UMDs were cheaper than Flash Memory... but for that to work, you'd need to be comparing the 1.8GB UMD vs a 4GB MicroSD (and possibly not even then) or a 2GB Proprietary Sony Memory Stick which had an inflated price because they were proprietary (also called price fixing).

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Advi said:
Rydian said:
Dib, shit changes.

Which is why Dib's point was all wrong...
He was trying to say that UMDs were cheaper than Flash Memory... but for that to work, you'd need to be comparing the 1.8GB UMD vs a 4GB MicroSD (and possibly not even then) or a 2GB Proprietary Sony Memory Stick which had an inflated price because they were proprietary (also called price fixing).
oh, okay then, make sense.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wizzerzak said:
KingVamp said:
So... you can't pirate download games...

not if you have a system similar to steam. If consoles became like that they'd have to have internal storage. So it is now unlikely that they will do this as they are taking a step in the wrong direction.
Pretty sure those games can still be pirated. Plus that be like the download only psp go and you people seen how that turn out. :/

Not everyone want only downloads or have the connection for it.

You will only be able to play on it with internet.

Kinda like if Onlive was made portable?

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Exactly. Another reason why not to have it. That's what i'm saying, if this is what Sony wants, then they are taking a step in the wrong direction.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wizzerzak said:
Exactly. Another reason why not to have it. That's what i'm saying, if this is what Sony wants, then they are taking a step in the wrong direction.
Then it wouldn't matter if there is internal storage or not. Only download/stream portable is crazy.

And even then games still can be backup or pirated, internal storage/stream/download only doesn't make a difference.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Rafinesque said:
This isn't news. Neither the PSP nor Nintendo DS have any internal storage either. Your title is misleading. "Memory" and storage aren't the same thing.
3DS has internal storage.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sorry, but this is bullshit, nobody confirmed internal storage yet.

Why I say this? Only Joystiq said this. Just look for other sources, or look the slides from the event. NOTHING IS SAID ABOUT INTERNAL STORAGE.

Stop affirming things without looking better for a source.

Anyway, even without a internal memory, they can still bundle the NGP with a memory card. No problem for me.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
From a design perspective, no internal storage or main memory is feasible. Just TERRIBLE stupid in usability. They could have games only download/save to RAM, and have said RAM be removable like PC memory sticks are. Except that obviously would mean any game requires re-downloading every time you want to play it again after a different one, whenever the system loses power, or if the memory gets removed.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Of course NGP has a memory. No internal storage ISN'T A PROBLEM if it comes with a card bundled with it.

mkoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dib said:
Either way, two and four gigabyte memory cards for the media will be far more expensive than UMDs. I can't help but wonder whether they'll be passing that expense to the customer.

The fact it's not storing internally makes perfect sense considering how that would affect the price. The difference is that phones are very expensive but made cheaper because they sign you to a contract and recoup over the long term. Very few people would buy the PSP2 or the 3DS if they cost as much as an iPhone.
what are you talking about? You can buy A ps3, a wii and a DSi with the money iPhone 4 costs. .. oh yeah you guys have contracts.
As on topic. I guess Sony wants people to use their memory card/game cartridge. You get one ouf of the box and download games on to it as they are released.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mkoo said:
As on topic. I guess Sony wants people to use their memory card/game cartridge. You get one ouf of the box and download games on to it as they are released.
QUOTE(Maedhros @ Mar 20 2011, 05:32 PM) Of course NGP has a memory. No internal storage ISN'T A PROBLEM if it comes with a card bundled with it.

Source?

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't care if it comes with a memory card to store stuff. I was really hoping it had internal memory. Why would they have the feature for the Go and take it away for the NGP? That was the ONLY reason I bought a Go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.