Sully99

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw this earlier and thought it deserved its own topic.

QUOTE said:
This slide, shown during Sony's Next Generation Portable GDC panel, shed some light on NGP's still-mysterious storage details. Unlike the experimental PSP Go, the NGP doesn't sport any internal storage. Things like save data and patches will be stored on the actual game cards themselves which, notably, will be offered in both 2GB and 4GB varieties, with 5 to 10 percent of the storage allocated to the aforementioned data. On a 2GB card, that leaves 1.8GB to 1.9GB for game data; on a 4GB card, that leaves 3.6GB to 3.8GB.

That puts the NGP's game media storage size between that of the PSP's, whose UMD discs range from 900MB to 1.8GB, and the PS3's, whose Blu-ray discs hold up to 50GB, though "many PS3 games" (i.e., multiplatform titles) remain around 9GB, thanks to the Xbox 360's DVD-ROM size limitation. Of course, as pointed out in a second slide (afer the break), this leaves the NGP with far more storage per game than a "10MB phone game."

But that's not all! As previously suggested, the NGP has another storage option, simply called "removable memory" in this presentation. "Cards will be large to support a variety of downloaded content," the slide says. This includes games available over PlayStation Network; and, thankfully, Sony says it's implementing a "single submission for both formats" to streamline the process of getting games approved for both card-based and downloadable releases.

We're hopeful this streamlined process obviates current embarassments like the continued absence of high-profile games in the PSN catalog of PSP titles, which has crippled the appeal of Sony's PSP Go handheld.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/03/ngp-game...m-for-save-dat/

Rafinesque

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This isn't news. Neither the PSP nor Nintendo DS have any internal storage either. Your title is misleading. "Memory" and storage aren't the same thing.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If its going to compete with iPhone, Android, Xperia etc it should have internal memory.

If its going to be pushed as a media player it should have internal memory.

I think most people expected it to come with internal memory, at least to use with music, video, media etc.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rafinesque said:
This isn't news. Neither the PSP nor Nintendo DS have any internal storage either. Your title is misleading. "Memory" and storage aren't the same thing.

Argument of memory vs storage aside, what you said was only half right.

The original PSP and Nintendo DS lack internal storage, as do the PSP 2000/3000, and the DS Lite.
But the PSP Go and DSi/XL, as well as the Nintendo 3DS offer internal storage, at least for basic things such as storing games software, saves data and photos.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Either way, two and four gigabyte memory cards for the media will be far more expensive than UMDs. I can't help but wonder whether they'll be passing that expense to the customer.

The fact it's not storing internally makes perfect sense considering how that would affect the price. The difference is that phones are very expensive but made cheaper because they sign you to a contract and recoup over the long term. Very few people would buy the PSP2 or the 3DS if they cost as much as an iPhone.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was hoping someone rational would come along. thanks to dib for using common sense.

iphones cost 800 dollars, people. don't forget that.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dib said:
Either way, two and four gigabyte memory cards for the media will be far more expensive than UMDs. I can't help but wonder whether they'll be passing that expense to the customer.UMDs were only 1.8GB, so it's really not fair to compare it to a larger capacity medium...
You can buy 2GB MicroSDs for about $4 retail now, even cheaper wholesale. Given the materials and moving parts of the UMD I can't see them being all that much cheaper if any.

QUOTE(dib @ Mar 20 2011, 01:14 AM) Very few people would buy the PSP2 or the 3DS if they cost as much as an iPhone.
Apple also jacks up the price of the iPhone, making a (decent) profit. There isn't really a discount for the iPhone with contract...
The only game system manufacturer that makes a profit on their consoles (so far) is Nintendo. Other system manufacturers sell their consoles at a loss and make a profit on the games.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah but even without internal storage, that means Sony is going to bend you over backwards for that 32 or 64 GB Memory Stick Micro card just to store downloaded games.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i'm sorry , but i haven't really been following NGP announcements but ,
did they announce what kind of storage they would be using ?
i mean like what type ; MicroSD , memory stick . . . ?

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
UMDs were only 1.8GB, so it's really not fair to compare it to a larger capacity medium...
You can buy 2GB MicroSDs for about $4 retail now, even cheaper wholesale. Given the materials and moving parts of the UMD I can't see them being all that much cheaper if any.
It's a completely apt comparison. It's common knowledge that one of the major reasons Sony decimated the N64 is because cartridges were more expensive to produce than CDs, even though they dwarfed the capacity of Nintendo's media.

Your point about Micro SDs is moot because there is nothing to suggest Sony will use that format. If anything, past history suggests they will not.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dib said:
It's a completely apt comparison. It's common knowledge that one of the major reasons Sony decimated the N64 is because cartridges were more expensive to produce than CDs, even though they dwarfed the capacity of Nintendo's media.CYA Mode?
No, your previous point of 4GB MicroSDs vs UMDs was NOT a fair comparison. Comparing one thing to another that holds 2x the data is BAD.
You were also wrong when you said 2GB SDs were more expensive than a UMD. The UMD is a custom DVD, much like a GameCube disc, only on top of that they have a solid shell with sliding door. Each of those parts and the assembly adds to the cost.

QUOTE(dib @ Mar 20 2011, 01:41 AM) Your point about Micro SDs is moot because there is nothing to suggest Sony will use that format. If anything, past history suggests they will not.
I used MicroSD as an example. Typically MicroSDs are more expensive than standard size SD cards.
I don't think Sony is going to make the same mistake of using proprietary Memory Cards like the MagicGate ones that are prohibitively expensive given that Flash Memory is so cheap.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
possibly another strategy to keep the price as low as possible. They must have removed many "under the hood" things to keep the price low. I cant say the internal memory is that important but it would be a plus point for the customers but i bet customers will go for UMDs and SDs

Hypershad12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, some will like it, and some won't. As for me, it won't really matter too much, until it starts to be a problem.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Not really an argument for downloading the games if they come out on the same day and at the same price then since it takes up quite a lot of memory per game and will inevitably take up to 4 hours or more for some people.

And @ article, i've downloaded games for iphone as large as 900mb

Think I'll have to do with PSP go for a while then and wait for a new console with some memory (I know I'll crack)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.