Always like this.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
xbox-logo-3.bmp
Today news site Ars Technica have posted up info retrieved from an internal Microsoft email:​
"There are a number of scenarios that our users expect to work without an Internet connection, and those should 'just work' regardless of their current connection status. Those include, but are not limited to: playing a Blu-ray disc, watching live TV, and yes playing a single player game."
For months internet rumors have been rife with speculation of the next Xbox requiring an always active internet connection, though now some suspect a connection will be required to install new games, essentially blocking the used game market for the new console.​
You can check out the full article here.​
Microsoft are set to unveil the next generation Xbox on May 21st 2013.​

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My only question is... what took them so long to clarify this? I get wanting to keep the thing under wraps, but hot damn, was it really worth all the scrutiny and doomsaying?

Still, good to hear, though I'm sad I won't be able to call it the X-crement Box.

Reactions: Wizerzak

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
My only question is... what took them so long to clarify this? I get wanting to keep the thing under wraps, but hot damn, was it really worth all the scrutiny and doomsaying?

Still, good to hear, though I'm sad I won't be able to call it the X-crement Box.
I don't think anyone at Microsoft was particularily interested by all the ball blasted individuals who just assumed things without waiting for the official presentation (because yes, there's a scheduled presentation. 21st of May, guys).

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Maybe they were waiting long enough so when they did announce it, they could be, "Ha ha, look how silly you look now!"

IDK, I doubt that's the real reason, maybe it just didn't seem like that big a deal to them.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
While this was expected, the shit storm Microsoft received from the feedback from potential buyers was a bit harsh to begin with. As DinosScene mentioned, MS isn't that stupid.

On the other hand, the article (Ars Technica<3) does state that there was no confirmation on wether the new Xbox actually requires an online activation for all the games in the beginning after which the console is capable of offline gaming. Also the added user comment at the bottom of the article is a good point: large companies rarely send emails to all users if the point of the message isn't a large one. Regardless of the original idea (online only or offline too)..

Reactions: Maxternal

SnAQ

Trophies
XP
Country
About the used games not playing (I know nothing is confirmed yet).
It's really bad, can't borrow games from friends, can't rent games either...

So, either all the developers for Next Box games has to create a demo for every single game, or I call bullshit on that.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
If i understood correct, in order to play a game (that is on Disc and has nothing to do with internet) you will have to turn ON the internet??? :wtf:
That's what the rumor USED to be, but it's now confirmed that this is NOT the case.

That's about the only thing it confirms, though, about their DRM. I DOES, though, sound like it was an idea they had previously been looking at if they actually had to clarify to ALL their employees that it was NOT the case it was because it USED to be at least a common misconception among them if not the original, universal plan.
AND as the OP points out, doesn't say anything about if it would still require an internet connection to install a game. That's still a minor possibility.

It's also interesting that while PS4 has already stolen and further built upon Nintendo's Miiverse idea, the NextBox is going to have something similar to TVii.

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what the rumor USED to be, but it's now confirmed that this is NOT the case.

That's about the only thing it confirms, though, about their DRM. I DOES, though, sound like it was an idea they had previously been looking at if they actually had to clarify to ALL their employees that it was NOT the case it was because it USED to be at least a common misconception among them if not the original, universal plan.
AND as the OP points out, doesn't say anything about if it would still require an internet connection to install a game. That's still a minor possibility.

It's also interesting that while PS4 has already stolen and further built upon Nintendo's Miiverse idea, the NextBox is going to have something similar to TVii.

Let me confirm this for you: they were going to do this (always-on DRM), now they are not.

Also: this "internal email" was crafted specifically for leak purposes to help tamp down the fire that started several weeks ago with the employee who was later fired and a start at containing the damage.

Reactions: Maxternal

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-