Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I'm in the market for a good newsgroup provider. I'm looking for one who is reliable with good prices, good speeds, no monthly bandwidth cap (I'm gonna be getting an unlimited account), and it would be very nice if it was SSL encrypted.

Does anyone here have any suggestions on who to look at? Personal experience would be very welcome.

Thanks!

--Also, due to the nature of this topic, I've already contacted Costello on the matter and he gave me the go-ahead to open this thread.

Reactions: 1 person

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I used to share an astraweb subscription. Always got what I wanted with it, and the price was good. It had SSL too.
But that was years ago...

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
astraweb. That's what my friend who got me thinking about this in the first place has. Couldn't remember the name of it. I don't yet have the money I need for it (though if a sale pops up I'll jump on it) but I really want to get some ideas going.

I saw on a website that reviewed a few that these providers each have a different number of connections. What does this do for you? Allow more simultaneous downloads?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I used usenetserver.com for two-three years, but the more they increased the retention, the less they had files... it's contradictory.

I'm pretty sure it's caused by DMCA take-down notice (as they are American based servers), as for example TVshow were online only for few hours (not even a day), while they advertise that they have 1000+ retention days.

They had a good service as long as it lasted (not expansive, unlimited and SSL).
They even allowed the user to select different peering route when available

I'm now on giganews 50GB/month SSL for the same price.
It's enough for me, but they have unlimited plan if needed.
I don't have any retention problem now :)

PS:
I've made a guide to explain what Newsgroup are, how it's working, what nbr of connexion are used for, etc., but nothing about provider's service and prices differences.
And I still haven't complete it, I need to explain how to use a newsgroup reader.
Sorry, I often don't complete my guides quickly :(

Reactions: 2 people

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you don't mind doing a google translate on it, since the website is dutch..
http://www.sunnyusenet.com/
Ive got a 20mbit connection there for only 3,80euro's a month. Which is probably like 5 dollars...

SSL, 10 threads, 900days retention, always going fast for me.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am using https://gibinews.eu/en it's dirt cheap like $4.50 a month has retention and completion as good as the major providers, has a 3 day free trial all you need is an email address, 14 day free trial if you use a promotion code. maxes my connection at 25mbit.
i recommend trying it see if it's good for you since its like half price of most of the others.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used usenetserver.com for two-three years, but the more they increased the retention, the less they had files... it's contradictory.

I'm pretty sure it's caused by DMCA take-down notice (as they are American based servers), as for example TVshow were online only for few hours (not even a day), while they advertise that they have 1000+ retention days.

They had a good service as long as it lasted (not expansive, unlimited and SSL).
They even allowed the user to select different peering route when available

I'm now on giganews 50GB/month SSL for the same price.
It's enough for me, but they have unlimited plan if needed.
I don't have any retention problem now :)

PS:
I've made a guide to explain what Newsgroup are, how it's working, what nbr of connexion are used for, etc., but nothing about provider's service and prices differences.
And I still haven't complete it, I need to explain how to use a newsgroup reader.
Sorry, I often don't complete my guides quickly :(

Just read your guide, Cyan. That was very well written and informative. I definitely have a bit better of an understanding now of how this stuff works. I just need to wait for a little more money before I go ahead and get a subscription XD

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
until you get enough money, you could use some free trials if you can find any that dont require credit cards for the trials, or the permanately free ones http://xsusenet.com/ and http://just4today.net/

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I've never had a problem with Giganews. Been a subscriber for years. I use the Grabit client in tandem with their service. Also I heard Astraweb is really good. Check those out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30