Newsgroup Providers

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Sicklyboy, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Sicklyboy
    OP

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    So, I'm in the market for a good newsgroup provider. I'm looking for one who is reliable with good prices, good speeds, no monthly bandwidth cap (I'm gonna be getting an unlimited account), and it would be very nice if it was SSL encrypted.

Does anyone here have any suggestions on who to look at? Personal experience would be very welcome.

Thanks!

--Also, due to the nature of this topic, I've already contacted Costello on the matter and he gave me the go-ahead to open this thread.

1 person likes this.
  2. Zekrom_cool

Zekrom_cool I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an edu

Apr 17, 2011
    India
    Heaven [N's Castle]
    1. UseNetServer
    2. Newshosting
    3. NewsDemon
    4. Astraweb
    5. Easynews
    6. ThunderNews
    7. Binverse
    8. Giganews
    9. Ngroups
    10. NGD

3. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    I used to share an astraweb subscription. Always got what I wanted with it, and the price was good. It had SSL too.
    But that was years ago...

4. Sicklyboy
    OP

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    astraweb. That's what my friend who got me thinking about this in the first place has. Couldn't remember the name of it. I don't yet have the money I need for it (though if a sale pops up I'll jump on it) but I really want to get some ideas going.

I saw on a website that reviewed a few that these providers each have a different number of connections. What does this do for you? Allow more simultaneous downloads?

5. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I used usenetserver.com for two-three years, but the more they increased the retention, the less they had files... it's contradictory.

I'm pretty sure it's caused by DMCA take-down notice (as they are American based servers), as for example TVshow were online only for few hours (not even a day), while they advertise that they have 1000+ retention days.

They had a good service as long as it lasted (not expansive, unlimited and SSL).
    They even allowed the user to select different peering route when available

I'm now on giganews 50GB/month SSL for the same price.
    It's enough for me, but they have unlimited plan if needed.
    I don't have any retention problem now :)

PS:
    I've made a guide to explain what Newsgroup are, how it's working, what nbr of connexion are used for, etc., but nothing about provider's service and prices differences.
    And I still haven't complete it, I need to explain how to use a newsgroup reader.
    Sorry, I often don't complete my guides quickly :(

2 people like this.
  6. mysticwaterfall

mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

Aug 11, 2008
    United States
    Right behind you
    I've been using astraweb for years. No complaints here. Meets all of your criteria.

7. Wabsta

Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Apr 25, 2008
    Netherlands
    SCUMM Bar
    If you don't mind doing a google translate on it, since the website is dutch..
    http://www.sunnyusenet.com/
    Ive got a 20mbit connection there for only 3,80euro's a month. Which is probably like 5 dollars...

SSL, 10 threads, 900days retention, always going fast for me.

8. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    i am using https://gibinews.eu/en it's dirt cheap like $4.50 a month has retention and completion as good as the major providers, has a 3 day free trial all you need is an email address, 14 day free trial if you use a promotion code. maxes my connection at 25mbit.
    i recommend trying it see if it's good for you since its like half price of most of the others.

9. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    I use newshosting. They have their own client now that's free for subscribers. It's great.

10. Wombo Combo

Wombo Combo That Ain't Falco

Mar 17, 2010
    United States
    Astraweb good and cheap.

11. Sicklyboy
    OP

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    Just read your guide, Cyan. That was very well written and informative. I definitely have a bit better of an understanding now of how this stuff works. I just need to wait for a little more money before I go ahead and get a subscription XD

12. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    until you get enough money, you could use some free trials if you can find any that dont require credit cards for the trials, or the permanately free ones http://xsusenet.com/ and http://just4today.net/

13. triassic911

triassic911 Burst Mode

May 9, 2007
    United States
    NYC, USA
    I've never had a problem with Giganews. Been a subscriber for years. I use the Grabit client in tandem with their service. Also I heard Astraweb is really good. Check those out.