Newsagents' are strange places...

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I work at a Newsagents in the UK and I noticed something rather...shall we say strange on a magazine which I'd say is marketed towards 9-11 year old girls called "Top of the Pops Magazine" (why this magazine still exists when the show has been off the air for quite a few years now I don't know) but anyway TO WHAT I SAW!!!

On the back there were a few photos of the boys from JLS (like, sooooooo dreamy....NOT) posing on a white bed. That's bad enough when you think about it but what was worse was the caption "We get under-COVERS with the JLS boys" or something like that. There were also a couple of arrows pointing to the boys faces saying things like "Cuddle me" and "Snuggle up". Unfortunately I didn't get a picture as I'm not allowed my phone when I'm on the shopfloor and the magazine will be gone by the time I'm back there working (was on the returns pile).

Seriously...this is just odd. The band's a complete sell-out and markets themselves towards the Tweens but this magazine really takes the biscuit. There are a few jokes that can be made here about them all posing in a bed together but is this really what young girls grow up with? Pictures of cute boys posing on beds? Meanwhile of course the boys magazines are still about cartoons and "AWESOME" things...its rather surprisingly the huge difference between the Pink and Blue corners in the kids magazine department.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
it's life, kids these days grow up way too fast, you see 10 year olds with makeup and getting pregnant, it all seems like the norm, it's just a fucked up world out there, also that is where JLS get thier money from teens, if they didn't sex up a bit they would sell, it's the same with woman pop stars, if they didn't sex up to make tenage boys buy their stuff they wouldn't make money.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Society has went down the shitter for females, they need real and good role models, women in the fire department and the military are good role models.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
it's life, kids these days grow up way too fast, you see 10 year olds with makeup and getting pregnant, it all seems like the norm, it's just a fucked up world out there, also that is where JLS get thier money from teens, if they didn't sex up a bit they would sell, it's the same with woman pop stars, if they didn't sex up to make tenage boys buy their stuff they wouldn't make money.

Sorry if I didn't explain properly. The pictures weren't exactly sexy. JLS have their "MOm-Approval" to protect after all, there wasn't really any flesh at all. Its just the fact that I find it odd that girls of around about 10 and 11 look at these people a swoon over them. Maybe its because I'm a boy and was still playing with my lego at that age, girls do mature faster than guys but...seriously 10/11 and going "OMG! [insert celeb name here] from [insert movie/band name here] is sooo cute. I'd love to snuggle up to him" seems a bit off.

Edit: @Prowler Jedward are awesomely funny. I don't think any girl in her right mind would fancy them, they're just in it for the laughs

Supersonicmonk

Trophies
XP
Country
Hop2089 said:
Society has went down the shitter for females, they need real and good role models, women in the fire department and the military are good role models.

The military is good for kids to aspire to?

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Supersonicmonk said:
Prowler485 said:

OMG I wished I'd never opened that spoiler, Under Pressure was a good Bowie/Queen song and seeing those two butchering it is disgusting

LMAO, yeah i know, god knows how these rubbish are so famous, you can't get away from them lol

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Is that better or worse than this thing:

pole_dancing_doll.jpg

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Ugh. Sexuality is an indicator of maturity...so why put boys on the cover like that? (Never mind that they are basically William Hung on steroids.) For me, when I was at that age, I was too concerned about the latest toys or my gameboy to bother with guys or girls like that.

Wow, there's a pole dancing toy? That's all shades of wrong.

We need strong, kick ass women - not women who are seen as extensions of male ego. (Snuggle up? Cuddle with them?)

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
astrangeone said:
Ugh. Sexuality is an indicator of maturity...so why put boys on the cover like that? (Never mind that they are basically William Hung on steroids.) For me, when I was at that age, I was too concerned about the latest toys or my gameboy to bother with guys or girls like that.

Wow, there's a pole dancing toy? That's all shades of wrong.

We need strong, kick ass women - not women who are seen as extensions of male ego. (Snuggle up? Cuddle with them?)

+1

The world needs more portrayal of female Soldiers, Policewomen, Martial artists, and boxers

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Um... this isn't exactly something new, they were like that when I was a kid. I'm guessing you've never read teenage magazines before?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Xdqwerty :creep: +1