Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
all u need is using a clean rom and the system can pair the cheat code with the CRC and u can choose what u want to use.
I doubt I'll use this feature myself but for general knowledge, I'm assuming this means trimmed roms are out the window?
No lol, trimming gets rid of the junk at the end of the rom, not the beginning. So its possible to have a trimmed clean rom
grog.gif

Trimming a rom changes the CRC, so you won't be able to use trimmed roms.

Rankio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cracker won't be out of business yet. Not everyone owns a R4...unless other card companies follow suit and add their own cheats. No, Golden Finger doesn't count.

xbman

Trophies
XP
Country
Trimming a rom does change the CRC however it seems some of the details are still unknown as to exactly how the AR/CHT codes will work. If it does CRC checking (mapping) then trimmed roms won't work, unless they add CRC codes for trimmed roms as well. However if it looks at the internal game ID or something unique in the header, that would remain unchanged with a trimmed rom, so trimmed roms may in fact work just fine with the AR/CHT system.

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Trimming a rom does change the CRC however it seems some of the details are still unknown as to exactly how the AR/CHT codes will work. If it does CRC checking (mapping) then trimmed roms won't work, unless they add CRC codes for trimmed roms as well. However if it looks at the internal game ID or something unique in the header, that would remain unchanged with a trimmed rom, so trimmed roms may in fact work just fine with the AR/CHT system.
I guess it really comes down to how the codes are loaded. Based on the information so far, all we've been told is that it pairs the game with codes based on the CRC. If the codes are stored in a text file or something, it'd be easy enough to add CRC's for trimmed roms. Since people trim their roms using different methods, there'd be so many different CRC's so they couldn't just add one CRC for a trimmed rom. Of course, if it allows you to manually add codes per rom, then there's nothing to worry about.

xbman

Trophies
XP
Country
Another thing about the codes, codejunkies only has codes for 155 US roms. When I visit the UK site (finally working again for me) there is no filter for Nintendo DS (at least I'm not seeing it) - so I am not sure how many EUR roms they have codes for. I assume they have a similar site for Japanese games - so if they have 200+ games that could include a good portion of the US roms already. So while it might not include everything it will probably have the most popular games available.

From the R4 forums, it seems it is using some kind of CHT file (not sure if it is one file that includes all codes or individual ones like the SC has). Hopefully we'll know more about eactly how they work, the format, etc in a few days. And if they are using some kind of encryption or alternate format I am sure it won't be long before someone figures out how the edit it themselves, or the R$ team makes it public knowledge.

Modrak

Trophies
XP
Country
Where is the f**kin DS-X with it's FPGA (said to be utilized by 50%) now
tongue.gif
?
I think we already have a winner in all flashcarts
biggrin.gif

Barra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wish I got an R4 instead of an M3DSS

Must...wait...for...confirmation

If they don't do it for M3DSS I'll be gutted
frown.gif

fli_guy84

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Wow great news indeed. Looks like the R4 team have really put all their effort behind this excellent product.

Don't know how it'll affect me though, never used cheats in DS before.

PS: Why do fanboys have to keep bringing up DS-X into an R4 discussion?
wacko.gif

blade85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
woot, cant wait, i got the R4 a couple of days ago and i am glad i got it, no buyers remorse at all lol

I prefer the DS menu skin over the one in the pictures though lol :X

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
all u need is using a clean rom and the system can pair the cheat code with the CRC and u can choose what u want to use.
I doubt I'll use this feature myself but for general knowledge, I'm assuming this means trimmed roms are out the window?
No lol, trimming gets rid of the junk at the end of the rom, not the beginning. So its possible to have a trimmed clean rom
grog.gif

Trimming a rom changes the CRC, so you won't be able to use trimmed roms.

If they use the internal header CRC's then trimming the ROM will make no difference.

bobrules

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I was too excited few post ago, but this sounds like a really nice firmware to me. Built in action replay that has hundreds of code loaded already, man now I can have fun in animal crossing again lol. Hopefully this will come out soon. Is this april fools?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @KermitPrplYT, Greetings.