Newest Switch Model

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by Prior22, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Prior22
    OP

Prior22 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    I'm likely going to get a Switch soon, possibly around Black Friday. Since the newest switch models aren't capable of running the SX pro dongle what is the easiest way to run backups (ideally with a method that doesn't require soldiering). Thanks.

2. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    No CFW.

Prior22 likes this.
  3. Prior22
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    So are the models currently being sold on best buy and amazon, as new, not capable of running CFW? Would I need to buy a used model to find something with old enough firmware?

4. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    You need either an unpatched unit, firmware doesn't matter or a patched unit that is firmware 4.1.0 or below.

KiiWii and Prior22 like this.
  5. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2018
    Togo
    Your best bet are those splatoon or mario odyssey bundles if you can still find one.

Prior22 likes this.
  6. Prior22
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    Edit: question answered. Looks like Black Friday models will be too new. Might as well just buy something now.

Last edited by Prior22, Oct 23, 2019
  7. pcwizard7

pcwizard7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 2, 2013
    Australia
    i would go on ebay and check if the serial number is on the listings and if not ask the seller to check for at least the first 6 six digits of the serial number. I found one after asking 4 sellers

serial checker
    https://ismyswitchpatched.com/

there's a free way or paid way. the paid way is more seemly i.e mount the backup instead of installing them and mount backup from external hdd (so u could have ton of games on hdd for dock mode or portable if u have an usb adapter

Google search or any stores u know that sell game mods for sxos pro or sxos os. you can get a better dongle as the one that comes with sxos pro package as it only loads the sxos cfw payload

i can't link anything sxos here but here's a look at a better dongle to make loading your payloads easier

https://www.xkit.xyz/rcmloader/

Last edited by pcwizard7, Oct 23, 2019
    Prior22 likes this.
  8. Prior22
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    So if I buy a Switch that isn't patched are these dongles future proof for upcoming releases? Also does the dongle run in one USB port, and the external USB drive in another?

9. pcwizard7

pcwizard7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 2, 2013
    Australia
    1. if the switch isn't patched its future proof for upcoming firmware
    2. the dongle plug into the usb c port and it only needs to be plugged in to boot the device after that u can take it out
    3. if you wanted to plug an external hdd in the portable mode you can use a usb a to c adapter and the switch dock has 3 usb ports (2 in front and one in back) i d plug the hdd in the back one since its usb 3.0

Prior22 likes this.
  10. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Noticing, aloof from it all
    Personally I just bought a used tablet that was listed as hackable on ebay, the guy has great feedback and I'm waiting for mine atm. If you want a new one though then sorry for the waste of time. :P

11. Prior22
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    Is the sequence needed to boot to CFW easy to execute? Also would I be able to plug and run games from a usb drive via the dock?

12. BlackTSQ

BlackTSQ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2018
    Austria
    Once you have everything set up booting CFW only needs you to plugin the dongle and turn on the console. USB Rom loading is only possible with SXOS at the moment.

Prior22 likes this.
  13. Prior22
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    So an sx pro could handle usb loading? With all other non-Xecuter options only being able to load via sd card?

14. BlackTSQ

BlackTSQ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2018
    Austria
    All CFWs can install NSPs which is pretty much the same as when you install a game from the E-Shop. SXOS is the only firmware that supports .XCI (cartridge format) loading and those XCIs can also be loaded from an external USB drive.

Prior22 likes this.
  15. NuadaXXX

NuadaXXX Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2016
    Gambia, The
    NIRVANA
  16. Prior22
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    Since the security flaw is with the switch hardware, and not firmware, am I correct in assuming that the switch firmware can continue to be updated?

17. phillyrider807

phillyrider807 GBAtemp Fan

May 2, 2009
    United States
    The best way right now is just getting a used tablet from ebay and buying the joycons separately

18. xYuunax

xYuunax You Stupid

Feb 6, 2018
    Hong Kong
    Hong Kong
    All firmware will be supported, as long as the devs add support for it.

19. Solutioni9e

Solutioni9e Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2019
    United States
    Buy a hackable switch on eBay

20. Prior22
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    Do all switch games support the pro controller? That’s how I would play games anyways. Also would the Wii U power brick work with a switch?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted