Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pop006 said:
World 7: "Solar System" (make your way across some moons and planetoids and stuff to travel from above Planet Mushroom to above Planet Koopa) (needs a bit of retexturing I should think)

New super mario galaxy = win.

Funked up gravity.

Upside down levels

Mirrored controls.

Great idea.

RainbowIE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Motherbrainsbrain said:
RainbowIE said:
Pop006 said:
How about if we merge the 2?
Start off, climb up and up and up, get to "outter space"
"Fall" back to the surface and smash into the catacombs which lead to the deep pipe levels into lava, then you meet bowser...

P.S. me and my gf play the game together when we have the time, so im only so far in the game yet.... *blush
What about a journey from Planet Mushroom to Planet Koopa, where World 8 in NSMBW is just one of Bowser's strongholds on Planet Mushroom, but not actually the home planet of the Koopas.

World 1: "World 8" (escape from the end of NSMBW to the beginning of this game i.e. Yoshi's Island -- aimed at being an amusing surprise that we start out in "Bowser's world"!)
World 2: "Yoshi's Island" (part forest, part grass, part beach, part water elements)
World 3: "Sewer System" (part pipe, part water elements, part overgrown forest)
World 4: "Ghostly Graveyard" (with sunken ghost ship) (mostly ghost elements, some water elements, retextured forest elements perhaps?)
World 5: "Freezeflame Fjord" (part lava elements, part ice elements, part water elements)
World 6: "Mega-Mini Mountain" (part tiny-huge elements, part mountain elements, part desert elements, part cloudy elements)
World 7: "Solar System" (make your way across some moons and planetoids and stuff to travel from above Planet Mushroom to above Planet Koopa) (needs a bit of retexturing I should think)
World 8: "Planet Koopa" (catacombs leading from the surface down to the Bowser's ACTUAL home, at the center of his planet)
Bonus World(s): "Toy Land" and/or "Retro Road"

PS World 7 could have some of the Gusty Garden idea of gusty winds from 2-3 as someone mentioned earlier.

the only problem with theming world 1 as world 8 is we cant edit the map so it will look like the mushroom hills until you go into a level. i dont know if you guys consider that a problem or not. if you do, we could easily do all of the themes you suggest but within the worlds that are already there. for example, world 3: sewer system could be in world 6 cause of all the pipes and stuff.
You're re-raising a point that's already been discussed, however, it's a very good point nonetheless, of which we need to constantly remind ourselves.

I think it comes down to this.

1) If we MUST use the same layouts, then that's a severe restriction on actual level design. Not only are world themes in a strict order, but how types of levels appear on the map (underground, mushroomy things over chasms), ghost houses, watery levels, etc etc) would have to be worked into every single level in the game. Meaning, yes, we will end up only being able to rearrange every level's contents.

2) However, as I understand it, there *is* potential to have a different map design, whether this involves editing together parts of the 3D models that actually were used in NSMBW (admittedly difficult, it seems), or "cover over" those maps with new, custom-designed models, or through that "thumbnail" option someone suggested earlier. Again, we need Treeki and/or people who are in the know who can suggest the best course of action in terms of changing up the order of the levels and map themes.

Point is, if we make concessions for individual levels not being exactly the way they're portrayed on the maps, we might as well make concessions that the worlds don't have to be represented in the right order either. However, this is under the scenario that indeed we will never be able to change the map themes etc, but I think we will find a way.

Pop006

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rainbow IE, maybe its possible to REARRANGE the world maps, i know we cant edit them, but What if there was a way to swap world 1 with world 8.... might be something to consult with the Reggie guys...

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
oops_ur_dead said:
Remember that it is unlikely we will be able to add any game mechanics that the game doesn't already explicitly have. Just remember this when you are thinking of ideas: try to limit yourself to what is already in the game.
agreed, no extra enemies will be able to be added UNLESS they are just sprite changes of existing ones. i think there are enough sprites to do a few things, BUT if a sprite is edited, is that sprite not changed for every single other level too and not just the one you're editing?

if that's the case we'd have to create completely new sprites and find a way of coding them into the game... far too complicated IMO

Arm the Homeless said:
Am I the only one which wants Super Kaizo World for the Wii?

Somewhat preview of Kaizo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua6pbz3ROvQ

Newer Super Kaizo Bros. Wii!

tongue.gif

Come on, it's the video game version of cutting yourself.
lmao just watched that, reminds me of one they made for the DS... oh my impossible haha

Timmy5000 said:
World one, Fire world (Yes lets start off here, since it is part 2, why not continue after bowsers castle) and with the bulk of world one being focused on escaping the cloudy death thats in one of the earlier stages, and if possible some air boat like stages,

and for nostalgic feel, make the first stage, the first 2 land stages from SMB (1-1 and 1-3) but re-vamped, this will be the only re made stage in the whole game,
the revamp includes, anywhere that there is no land, its replaced with lava, and with fireballs jumping out from these areas. Also, with bullet bills getting bigger near the end of the stage, till they are the size of the massive ones. In this mix, we include more enemies, and dry bones. The 3 star coins will be located at the second gap in 1-1 (the one with missing earth, now filled with lava), the second in the huge land gap thats in 1-3 (if its possible to have that land mass, I dont remember seeing moving platforms like in smb) and the final coin, under the stairs, but the massive bullet has to ruin the stairs to see it.

Next for level 2, its a regular stage, but its on a airboat, and it its full of boxes, its a delivery airboat, so naturally its going to be swarmed with canons and goombas to block all intruders, most of the boxes are filled with koopa's troopa's (if possible) so, to find the 3 star coins, you have alot of breaking to get through. Ill have the concept art later on,

thats all I got for right now.
try to remember, since the maps are just 1 big 3D model it would be hard to do ANYTHING with it except change a few textures, but even that might proove a bit dificult...

since that's the case, it's going to be very difficult trying to get a new storyline up and running...
frown.gif

QUOTE(rizzod @ Nov 24 2009, 04:27 AM)
nay to retro on this project, we are making a totally brand new game.
by retro i think they mean retro STYLE, not the same courses as remakes, sprites edited to look like they did on the older snes/ nes games to give it a retro feel with a modern mario in there. sounds funny to me
biggrin.gif

as the the covers, you two, Vibe and Pop, are gonna do fine with those from the previews i've seen
wink.gif

i also love the little puzzle idea at the top of page 11, well thought through and good problem solving being shown in the team already!!

the name as Rainbow said should definitely have WII in it, it distinguishes from the DS version that way.

alot of things have been said since last night, great to see so many ideas and covers and level ideas pouring in!

as to the forum idea, i cant be arsed joining a new one
tongue.gif
but i will if i have to. i just think that Rainbow IE could edit the first post of this and organise it well and put all new ideas to be carried through and such there so we dont have to search through the whole topic
wink.gif

also! i need some congratulations because i just tinted my car windows successfully!!
smile.gif

EDIT: just read the point about maps that Rainbow was tlaking about, and i dont think that anything will be able to be moved around...

since the map is a 3D model, all of the parts are moulded to each other, so a proper model editing program would be needed to move things around i think
frown.gif

one thing that is possible if texture changing is possible, is to change the colour of things to suit the world we are expecting it to be, for example, if the world is fire change colours to a flamey effect or something.

i'm no expert, but it sounds about right lol

Pop006

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Congrats mikeyt1998, and nice post

On a slightly off topic subject for a quick second... does anyone have the ability to take in-game screen shots of this game? I donno maybe through wii plugged into computer or something. I sure could use a few new shots of different levels and conditions... All that's on the internet seems to be from world 1-1, so designing a cover with some more of the games features is hard.
If anyone could take a bunch of shots that i could use, it would be greatly appreciated....
Just try to get different existing conditions... water, ice, sky's, platforms, enemies, pipes, lavas... anything would be useful!
smile.gif

BTW, from what i seen, dolphin renders tend to be blurry, and the contrast be off, they just don't seem to render as well as the wii... so if at all possible, clean wii renders over dolphin emulator
wink.gif

RainbowIE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
mikeyt1998 said:
tongue.gif
but i will if i have to. i just think that Rainbow IE could edit the first post of this and organise it well and put all new ideas to be carried through and such there so we dont have to search through the whole topic
wink.gif

also! i need some congratulations because i just tinted my car windows successfully!!
smile.gif

EDIT: just read the point about maps that Rainbow was tlaking about, and i dont think that anything will be able to be moved around...

since the map is a 3D model, all of the parts are moulded to each other, so a proper model editing program would be needed to move things around i think
frown.gif

one thing that is possible if texture changing is possible, is to change the colour of things to suit the world we are expecting it to be, for example, if the world is fire change colours to a flamey effect or something.

1. The second forum is unstoppable now!
tongue.gif
As soon as we decide upon a name and everything, I'm cleaning up the OP of this thread and directing everyone to that forum, and I'll politely ask a mod over here on GBA to change the thread title of this thread accordingly. I think it's worth joining. I was hesitant at first but it took 20 seconds to register and I'm already used to it.

2. Congratulations! I have no idea how one even does that!

3. Maps:
Pop006 said:
Rainbow IE, maybe its possible to REARRANGE the world maps, i know we cant edit them, but What if there was a way to swap world 1 with world 8.... might be something to consult with the Reggie guys...
Indeed, besides deciding on the game's working title, the world map issue is the next port of call.

I think there's a difference though between Treeki and co. working for weeks on compiling together a fully functioning editor that everyone can use, and us simply recruiting a hobbyist 3D modeler who can import the 3D models from NSMBW and rearrange them according to a set plan (trying not to make it too complicated for him or her) then reimporting them back in. Am I right? I guess I'll have to ask in the Reggie thread.

The stipulation, then, I believe, is that the PATHS have to be in the same kinds of orders for their related worlds, which is obviously not such an issue because we can simply design around that limitation. Technically Treeki and co. could figure out a way to recode paths but it's not in their best interests, and it's not necessary.

The issue is simply finding a decent 3D modeler who can do a bit of retexturing and cutting up 3D bits and bobs.

QUOTE(Pop006 @ Nov 24 2009, 02:48 PM)
Congrats mikeyt1998, and nice post

On a slightly off topic subject for a quick second... does anyone have the ability to take in-game screen shots of this game? I donno maybe through wii plugged into computer or something. I sure could use a few new shots of different levels and conditions... All that's on the internet seems to be from world 1-1, so designing a cover with some more of the games features is hard.
If anyone could take a bunch of shots that i could use, it would be greatly appreciated....
Just try to get different existing conditions... water, ice, sky's, platforms, enemies, pipes, lavas... anything would be useful!
smile.gif

BTW, from what i seen, dolphin renders tend to be blurry, and the contrast be off, they just don't seem to render as well as the wii... so if at all possible, clean wii renders over dolphin emulator
wink.gif
Well skawo's .flvs on his Photobucket page are a good start (easy to prt-scrn paused parts of them), but yeah there needs to be more of this. And I believe they will make GREAT use in the Level Design subforum at the new forum.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
RainbowIE said:
mikeyt1998 said:
tongue.gif
wink.gif

smile.gif

1. The second forum is unstoppable now!
tongue.gif
As soon as we decide upon a name and everything, I'm cleaning up the OP of this thread and directing everyone to that forum, and I'll politely ask a mod over here on GBA to change the thread title of this thread accordingly. I think it's worth joining. I was hesitant at first but it took 20 seconds to register and I'm already used to it.

2. Congratulations! I have no idea how one even does that!
haha no worries, it'll probably be a better idea for a project like this
wink.gif

and its basically like a sticker, you peel the back off, spray it with soapy water, slap it on the window then squeegee out all the bubles so it's all even
smile.gif
of course it's more complicated than that, you have to cut it to the right size of the window, then clean the window till there isnt any DUST on it (lol) then you have to heat it up to shrink it to the curve of the window and such too... took about 2 hours overall for the 2 rear side windows XD just the main back one to do... dont look forward to it haha

back on topic, soon as the forum is completely up and ready i'll join
wink.gif
try to neaten up the first post Rainbow because it'll be a nice opening scene for people to know whats going on and join the new project forum
smile.gif

RainbowIE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
mikeyt1998 said:
try to neaten up the first post Rainbow because it'll be a nice opening scene for people to know whats going on and join the new project forum
smile.gif
Done. Well, so far. Any other suggestions? I'm all ears.

Vibestar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gona try that with just a name hack. Don't think it works but I can always try.
Also the texture for the background of the overworlds are different then the 3d models or tpl images. They are writen into bin.LZ. I have really no clue what that is. No LZ compression of such kind.

Posts merged

At Rainbow, I will change the logo's to the titles we came up so far. Is there a title song already? I can implent that also.

RainbowIE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vibestar said:
I'm gona try that with just a name hack. Don't think it works but I can always try.
Also the texture for the background of the overworlds are different then the 3d models or tpl images. They are writen into bin.LZ. I have really no clue what that is. No LZ compression of such kind.

Posts merged

At Rainbow, I will change the logo's to the titles we came up so far. Is there a title song already? I can implent that also.
Okay, so I think the three alternatives are:

1) Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii
2) New Super Mario Bros. Wii+ (no space between Wii and the +)
3) New Super Mario Bros. WiiMix (I believe WiiMix should be one word, without the dash, and with an upside down W for the capital M... not sure what the best way of doing a small x is?)

And if it's easy enough, do:

4) New Super Mario Bros. Wii Plus (with Plus being the same font as Wii Fit's "Plus", I guess?)

As for music, do you mean the title screen music, or the main overworld theme tune? I have a few themes on YouTube that *could* work as either of these, but I'm happy to work on new stuff.

This has proved a very popular title theme, although it would only work if there was a serious Yoshi bent in the game (which I'm all for anyway).

And are you a Reggie! beta tester?

Motherbrainsbrai

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have some useful information on level progression. We are not limited to the levels that are currently in place. I used tanooki and put level 2-1 in level 1-1's place. It worked, and it was cool because it had the world 1 backround. So we can use an level anywhere, if you want a level with water in 1-1, you can do it!

Posts merged

I have some useful information on level progression. We are not limited to the levels that are currently in place. I used tanooki and put level 2-1 in level 1-1's place. It worked, and it was cool because it had the world 1 backround. So we can use an level anywhere, if you want a level with water in 1-1, you can do it!

Motherbrainsbrai

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

RainbowIE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Motherbrainsbrain said:
Thanks very much for that info, although I thought that might be the case. So the background of 1-1 is embedded in 1-1's position, in Tanooki, even if a different level is moved over onto that position? Could it be different than Reggie, though?

PS, you joining the new forum? http://nsmbw.freeforums.org/index.php

Would be great to have you there, especially as someone who's got experience in Tanooki.

Motherbrainsbrai

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RainbowIE said:
Motherbrainsbrain said:
Thanks very much for that info, although I thought that might be the case. So the background of 1-1 is embedded in 1-1's position, in Tanooki, even if a different level is moved over onto that position? Could it be different than Reggie, though?

PS, you joining the new forum? http://nsmbw.freeforums.org/index.php

Would be great to have you there, especially as someone who's got experience in Tanooki.

it appears so, heres some pics, the funny thing is the backround has both themes and switches throughout the level, im not sure if this is because 1-1 is different than others because of the castle or what, i will test a different level to see if the theme is different.
http://s923.photobucket.com/albums/ad77/mo...=Picture001.jpg

also yeah i will join the other forum

EDIT: I tested level 8-6, the one with the lava that rises in place of 1-2 and the theme did not change, it was the world 8 backround and everything. This leads me to beleive world 1-1 is a special scenario because of the castle in the backround . Either way this is good news because we can use any level, anywhere, as a base for our own levels. This doesnt even take into consideration the fact that we should be able to edit textures anyways

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
RainbowIE said:
mikeyt1998 said:
smile.gif

Done. Well, so far. Any other suggestions? I'm all ears.

thank you very much
wink.gif

RainbowIE said:
2) New Super Mario Bros. Wii+ (no space between Wii and the +)
This is my opinion on the matter... see below.
QUOTE(mooseknuckle2000 @ Nov 23 2009, 08:25 PM)
how about this?
newlogo.jpg
THAT image with NEW rather than newer, and where it says custom adventure, stick PLUS but with the same font as the SUPER MARIO BROS WII is written in
wink.gif

what ya think to that? can someone test it and see how it looks please?

S

solarsaturn9

If you sit around and talk about what the best title screen logo would be you will never come up with a decent hack. Stop focusing on the stupid stuff and actually get into the level design, texturing, and model hacking...

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
solarsaturn9 said:
If you sit around and talk about what the best title screen logo would be you will never come up with a decent hack. Stop focusing on the stupid stuff and actually get into the level design, texturing, and model hacking...
Hey, guy. It's nice what you say, but there's nothing we really can do at the moment.

Level design? We need the editor.
Texturing? We know how to do that already.
Model Hacking? No.

So we're doing what we can, quite possibly, the first thing we'll do will be a new title screen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW7LwaU1xMw