Newer PS2s don't work with FMCB?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Mrevilbobguy, Nov 27, 2008.

Nov 27, 2008
  1. Mrevilbobguy
    OP

Newcomer Mrevilbobguy Member

United States
    From http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/

Does this mean that any new PS2 is unhackable (via soft mods)? I'm thinking of buying a new PS2 tomorrow (Black Friday) and my decision rests on the hackability of the unit.

2. xalphax

Member xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Croatia
    well, too bad for sony then that they dont get your money.

im serious.

3. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Have a look anyway, see if you can find one on the shelves that is a few months old - or any of the special revision (like satin silver or something along those lines) combo boxes that were made before this new bios was put in place. If you find one that isn't SCPH-9000x, you might be OK too.

4. Mrevilbobguy
    OP

United States
    What should I look for to figure out its vintage? Is there anything on the box (aside from the revisions and combo boxes) that would denote an older model?

It would need to be 100% because I don't want to spend $50 on Action Replay Max Evo for nothing. (Not to mention the $130 for the PS2 and $20 for a memory card)

5. jobobalo

Banned jobobalo Banned

United States
    Get a used PS2 from EB/gamestop, that won't have any brand new anti-softmod bios. The "Phat" ones are only 60 bucks, and the slim ones 70.

6. Fusion

Member Fusion On/Off GBA-Temp'er

Wow thats like 200$ all up for old tech, no offense or anything but for another 100 bucks (you can wait a tiny bit as its not hard to get it [​IMG]) you can buy a current machine like a x360 or a Wii (might be a tad bit more for the wii has ninty has budged with there price)

If your still gona go down the PS2 route, then i say get a swap magic disc rather then AR-Max Evo as you can open your slim ps2 yourself & tape/bluetack the door-sences so you dont have to use the door open tool & just use the eject button.

or

You can go on ebay & get one of those soft-chip memory card where you flash the memory card & it becomes your mod as well as a 16MB memory card [​IMG]

(also you could go the "phat" route as i seen people selling cases to make it look like the PS3)

7. Mrevilbobguy
    OP

United States
    Fusion, I do have a Wii and I don't find the 360 or PS3 game libraries all too compelling. Maybe I should wait and see what PS2 emulation brings in the future...

8. Fusion

Member Fusion On/Off GBA-Temp'er

Nothing beats playing on real hardware (unless you get the better resolution like psx emulation & i think thats there goal with ps2 emus, & also the xbox emu coming up)

Well you can still take into account my other points in my reply above. Also since this topic you posted is new alot of gaming store wont have the new stock on shelves just yet so your still good to go for awhile at least [​IMG]

9. Mrevilbobguy
    OP

United States
    Still, since it isn't at 100%, I think I'll sit this one out. (I'm hesitant about buying used hardware.)

10. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
  11. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    I got my used phat PS2 for $40 from EB Games/GameStop. But I've seen people selling they're slims for $40 as well, look hard!