Hacking Newbie with Questions

Youser

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I am new to the scene and am quite confused with all the different hacking options.

All I want to do is play back ups on my 2ds. I was advised to go for an R4 card. I did a little research and ordered the R4i Gold Pro 2018. I'm still waiting for it to arrive but have now come across the term 'Time Bomb' on the comments sections of some youtube videos I've been watching.

I have learnt that these cards come with an expiry date and stop working after a year or so. Is there anything I can do to bypass this? I've seen Luma3ds and YSmenu mentioned but as a newbie I don't really know what these things do. or if these are the things I need to research.

I also understand that my card might not have a time bomb but would like to be prepared in case it does.

Thanks

Youser

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have done a little more reading and have seen mentions of installing Wood R4.

I noticed in the features of the card that I bought it mentions,
  • Cooperated with wood firmware developing team,it is the first one to update wood kernel and be compatible with the latest games
Does this mean I'm ok?

These are the rest of the features (Cannot post link to the card)

• Cooperated with wood firmware developing team,it is the first one to update wood kernel and be compatible with the latest games
  • The First Card Supports 3DS /3DS XL /2DS 11.6.0
  • The world's first host system to support the DSi /DSi XL upgrade to V1.45
  • Compatible with all DS editions of different kinds of language
  • Supports DSL / DSi / LL / XL
  • Supports Action Replay cheat
  • DLDI auto-patching
  • Supports SDHC (Micro SD 4G,8G,16G,32G)
  • 2nd generation storage device (no booting tool required)
  • Flush fitting slot 1 card
  • Uses MicroSD card, FAT16 or 32
  • Supports any MicroSD card speed with no lag in game
  • Supports Clean ROM, drag and drop. Works on any OS
  • Built in NoPass
  • Automatically detect save type
  • Save directly to MicroSD card, not to onboard chip
  • Supports Moonshell and other homebrew.
  • User friendly skinnable interface. Touchscreen or button operation
  • Supports rumble pak and memory pak
  • Supports the WiFi game, DS Rumble Pak, DS Browser
  • Supports changes of the background of Operation Interface
  • Support Skin DIY by setting background and font colors on Main Menu and Game Menu manually and automatically
  • Supports 4-scale-lightness adjustment ( DS Lite only )
  • Supports the Soft Reset.
  • moonshell 2.10 support Software Reset function( Press START key back to the R4 menu

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have done a little more reading and have seen mentions of installing Wood R4.

I noticed in the features of the card that I bought it mentions,
Does this mean I'm ok?

These are the rest of the features (Cannot post link to the card)

• The First Card Supports 3DS /3DS XL /2DS 11.6.0
  • The world's first host system to support the DSi /DSi XL upgrade to V1.45
  • Compatible with all DS editions of different kinds of language
  • Supports DSL / DSi / LL / XL
  • Supports Action Replay cheat
  • DLDI auto-patching
  • Supports SDHC (Micro SD 4G,8G,16G,32G)
  • 2nd generation storage device (no booting tool required)
  • Flush fitting slot 1 card
  • Uses MicroSD card, FAT16 or 32
  • Supports any MicroSD card speed with no lag in game
  • Supports Clean ROM, drag and drop. Works on any OS
  • Built in NoPass
  • Automatically detect save type
  • Save directly to MicroSD card, not to onboard chip
  • Supports Moonshell and other homebrew.
  • User friendly skinnable interface. Touchscreen or button operation
  • Supports rumble pak and memory pak
  • Supports the WiFi game, DS Rumble Pak, DS Browser
  • Supports changes of the background of Operation Interface
  • Support Skin DIY by setting background and font colors on Main Menu and Game Menu manually and automatically
  • Supports 4-scale-lightness adjustment ( DS Lite only )
  • Supports the Soft Reset.
  • moonshell 2.10 support Software Reset function( Press START key back to the R4 menu
It probably says it uses Wood R4 because back in 2013 they used to use Wood R4. They updated and decided to use the default R4 kernel (DSTT clone kernel). The R4 kernel is terrible because it's slow and clunky, it can't handle special symbols or characters either so anything using that, example cheats, you will have problems. The flashcart you ordered does indeed have a time bomb, it's made with the same technology that the people in r4i-sdhc.com used. The best R4 as we speak is the R4i Gold 3DS RTS/Plus. That flashcart uses Wood R4 by default so no issues there.

Wood R4 is a modded Wood RPG kernel (looks a lot like the Acekard RPG kernel). It's the best kernel at the moment for flashcarts.

YSmenu is an alternative flashcart kernel built to bypass timebombs present in certain flashcarts. It's not the best looking kernel but it does its job well.

Timebomb - A timebomb is basically an expiration date set on the flashcart kernel to prevent users from using one single flashcart, this is to force users to buy a newer flashcart.

If you bought the R4i Gold 3DS RTS/Plus then you would be ok.

Youser

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all that info. Unfortunately I didn't order the plus, I ordered the pro.

Should I start looking ar how to install YSmenu or just run the R4 Kernel till the expiry date and then set the date back (does this still work?)?

The website I bought the card from has all the FWs for their cards but for my specific one they have the 2017 FW. I'm guessing this is what I need for the 2018 card?

Instead of using the R4 Kernel, am I able to use Wood R4?

Thanks again

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@DeadSkullzJr

Couldn't quote your post coz I have a noob account and it kept saying I had a hyperlink in my post :?

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You can't use woodr4 with that card.
Yes, you can set the date to a previous one. In addition to that the manufacturer will probably release an updated kernel on their website when the time is reached.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anything from www.r4isdhc.com or www.r4i-sdhc.com cannot use Wood R4. The only flashcarts that can use Wood R4 are as follows:
- Ace3DS
- Ace3DS Plus
- Ace3DS X
- DSTT
- M3
- M3 Simply
- R4 (Original)
- R4 N3DS
- R4iDSN
- R4iDS Gold
- R4i SDHC Dual Core (2013)
- R4i SDHC Dual Core (r4isdhc.com.hk)
- R4i Gold 3DS RTS
- R4i Gold 3DS Plus
- Acekard RPG
- SuperCard DSONE
- SuperCard DSONEi
- SuperCard DSONEi Mini
- SuperCard DSTWO (2GB only)
- SuperCard DSTWO Plus (2GB only)

There are many other flashcarts that can use Wood R4 however those are either old or just not known enough to even be considered a useful Wood flashcart. Most of which are just terrible clones.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Anything from www.r4isdhc.com or www.r4i-sdhc.com cannot use Wood R4. The only flashcarts that can use Wood R4 are as follows:

There are many other flashcarts that can use Wood R4 however those are either old or just not known enough to even be considered a useful Wood flashcart. Most of which are just terrible clones.
I think that the 2013 version of r4isdhc.com supports wood. But none 2014+.

(you also forgot stargate and most of the cards you listed don't support wood officially. The only official (with most features) are: the original r4 (maybe the hardware clone of m3 too), acekart rpg, the cards from r4ids.cn and the cards from r4idsn.com.)

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that the 2013 version of r4isdhc.com supports wood. But none 2014+.

(you also forgot stargate and most of the cards you listed don't support wood officially. The only official (with most features) are: the original r4 (maybe the hardware clone of m3 too), acekart rpg, the cards from r4ids.cn and the cards from r4idsn.com.)
I'm listing official and unofficial, I'm not gonna be specific, they all do the same thing after all. Also the Stargate is expensive at the moment, listing it would be pointless because people would call it "irrelevant" (even though it isn't, but you know....CFW lovers/addicts out there have deep hate for it lol).

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr,

Youser

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can't use woodr4 with that card.
Yes, you can set the date to a previous one. In addition to that the manufacturer will probably release an updated kernel on their website when the time is reached.

At the moment I can only see the 2017 Kernal. Does this mean my time bomb will explode in September 2018 even though I have the 2018 card?

Youser

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's hardcoded into the kernel; the actual year on the flashcard has no effect on the date.

Ok I'm getting a bit confused. Kernal is what I download and put on a memory card and then insert that memory card flash card, right? So the Kernal I downloaded was the 2017 one, wouldn't that have an expiry date 2018? Or do they come with a 2 year life.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ok I'm getting a bit confused. Kernal is what I download and put on a memory card and then insert that memory card flash card, right? So the Kernal I downloaded was the 2017 one, wouldn't that have an expiry date 2018? Or do they come with a 2 year life.
Yes, Kernel are the files that you have to copy to the MicroSD (kernEl, not kernAl).
All cards from r4isdhc.com until today have exactly the same hardware. The timebomb is only in the kernel, not in the flashcard itself.
Currently the timebomb triggers in Q3 2019. We will have to see then when the next one triggers. The first ones triggered yearly (until 2016 or 2017), now they trigger every 2 or 3 years.

Reactions: Youser

Youser

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, Kernel are the files that you have to copy to the MicroSD (kernEl, not kernAl).
All cards from r4isdhc.com until today have exactly the same hardware. The timebomb is only in the kernel, not in the flashcard itself.
Currently the timebomb triggers in Q3 2019. We will have to see then when the next one triggers. The first ones triggered yearly (until 2016 or 2017), now they trigger every 2 or 3 years.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Lastly, now that I have my card and am happy with it playing DS games I can't help the fact that it doesn't play 3ds games. I should've done more research. Is the DSTWO PLUS the best card at the mo for playing 3ds games on a 2ds?

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks for clearing this up.

Lastly, now that I have my card and am happy with it playing DS games I can't help the fact that it doesn't play 3ds games. I should've done more research. Is the DSTWO PLUS the best card at the mo for playing 3ds games on a 2ds?
You can use your card to install a CFW that can play 3DS games.
The DSTWO Plus is sold out everywhere :/

Youser

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I've been reading up on this and will give it a go soon.

Have a few questions that you may be able to help me with.

If I want to replace the consoles memory card with a bigger card (to store CIA files) do I just copy over everything that's on the current card? Does the new card need formatting a certain way?

Is there a a limit on how big the micro sd should be?

Does the 2ds require a memory card to boot up? I ask this as I am wondering if I could use the same card that's in my flash cart to store nds files as well as CIA files. Or is it best to have two separate cards and avoid swapping the same card between the flash cart and the console.

Appreciate the help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.