Gaming Newbie Windows 7 question

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Been browsing and noticed some websites were selling Windows Ultimate Upgrade as part of a promotion. After months of torrenting and installing W7 on other family member's PCs, I figured it can't hurt to part with money for a software that I'm happy with. Now, the big question is that I'm also planning on upgrading my laptop HDD sometime next year so when that times comes, does Microsoft make it easy to install my existing Windows 7 on a new HDD or will I have to go through stuff like reinstalling my old Vista OS and then going through the process again?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
kylster said:
yes just simply choose to upgrade and keep all existing files however it is recommended that you just install a fresh copy.
But does that work on a blank HDD? I thought only the Full Version can do that.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the upgrade edition you are going to have to install a compatible Vista SP2 edition. If you are simply upgrading the system you can clone the drive to the new one using another PC that you can plug the drive into.

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might be able to to install the Win7 trial then "Upgrade" that install.

I know that works if you do not let it update until after you do the upgrade but if you update it before they apparently have patched that flaw?

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kylster said:
his is what you do make a backup copy of Win7 or grab one off the web cant tell you where and download a app called WAT "Windows Activation Technology" Remover and all this nifty little app does is remove the quote WAT unquote from the OS itself so that you never have to worry about it verifying if you put in the correct serial number hope this helps and it's a heck of a lot easier just keep your offical windows disc as a backup that's all.

P.S. no your not cracking windows at all doing it this way. 1 you own a copy of win7 and 2 your just using a said backup of it.

That was completely pointless and uninformed. Taking any action against the activation is a violation of Microsoft's license, is very much cracking Windows, and 100% illegal regardless if you own a copy or a hundred copies. Installing a single copy on multiple machines is also a violation.

Although the real question is why you would be attempting to preserve a pirated version of the OS if your goal is supposed to entail buying and installing a legitimate copy. Changing harddrives is irrelevant because you're reinstalling Windows either way. And if you buy the upgrade, then yes it will require Vista.

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dib said:
kylster said:
his is what you do make a backup copy of Win7 or grab one off the web cant tell you where and download a app called WAT "Windows Activation Technology" Remover and all this nifty little app does is remove the quote WAT unquote from the OS itself so that you never have to worry about it verifying if you put in the correct serial number hope this helps and it's a heck of a lot easier just keep your offical windows disc as a backup that's all.

P.S. no your not cracking windows at all doing it this way. 1 you own a copy of win7 and 2 your just using a said backup of it.

That was completely pointless and uninformed. Taking any action against the activation is a violation of Microsoft's license, is very much cracking Windows, and 100% illegal regardless if you own a copy or a hundred copies. Installing a single copy on multiple machines is also a violation.

Although the real question is why you would be attempting to preserve a pirated version of the OS if your goal is supposed to entail buying and installing a legitimate copy. Changing harddrives is irrelevant because you're reinstalling Windows either way. And if you buy the upgrade, then yes it will require Vista.

Yeah its pretty bad removing WAT... Better off using a BIOS emulator and letting WAT validate your install so you wind up with a fully functioning and updateable OS, but I will say no more about it since that is a conversation best left to the shadows.

Hmm or if your lucky enough to have a compatible BIOS that can be patched directly with erm no I won't say it
smile.gif

Google is your friend if you want to know all these wonderful security loop holes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Traps