Newbie Windows 7 question

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Harsky, Oct 29, 2010.

Oct 29, 2010

Newbie Windows 7 question by Harsky at 4:42 PM (867 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Been browsing and noticed some websites were selling Windows Ultimate Upgrade as part of a promotion. After months of torrenting and installing W7 on other family member's PCs, I figured it can't hurt to part with money for a software that I'm happy with. Now, the big question is that I'm also planning on upgrading my laptop HDD sometime next year so when that times comes, does Microsoft make it easy to install my existing Windows 7 on a new HDD or will I have to go through stuff like reinstalling my old Vista OS and then going through the process again?

2. kylster

Member kylster mich weich töten

United States
    yes just simply choose to upgrade and keep all existing files however it is recommended that you just install a fresh copy.

3. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    But does that work on a blank HDD? I thought only the Full Version can do that.

4. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    For the upgrade edition you are going to have to install a compatible Vista SP2 edition. If you are simply upgrading the system you can clone the drive to the new one using another PC that you can plug the drive into.

5. JonthanD

Member JonthanD GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You might be able to to install the Win7 trial then "Upgrade" that install.

I know that works if you do not let it update until after you do the upgrade but if you update it before they apparently have patched that flaw?

6. kylster

United States
  7. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    That was completely pointless and uninformed. Taking any action against the activation is a violation of Microsoft's license, is very much cracking Windows, and 100% illegal regardless if you own a copy or a hundred copies. Installing a single copy on multiple machines is also a violation.

Although the real question is why you would be attempting to preserve a pirated version of the OS if your goal is supposed to entail buying and installing a legitimate copy. Changing harddrives is irrelevant because you're reinstalling Windows either way. And if you buy the upgrade, then yes it will require Vista.

8. JonthanD

Member JonthanD GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah its pretty bad removing WAT... Better off using a BIOS emulator and letting WAT validate your install so you wind up with a fully functioning and updateable OS, but I will say no more about it since that is a conversation best left to the shadows.

Hmm or if your lucky enough to have a compatible BIOS that can be patched directly with erm no I won't say it [​IMG]

Google is your friend if you want to know all these wonderful security loop holes.

9. kylster

United States
    thought editing the post wouldnt let other see it LoL i did think of that and just pm'd the info.