Hacking Newbie to CFW. Tips, tricks and help requested!

SirGray

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. I just recently downgraded and installed cfw on my 3ds.

Currently says version 4.2.0-9u
Takes me quite a few times to get into cfw. Most of the time it fails when I hit nds profile. and I have to keep restarting, is this normal?

I have installed the Big blue menu.

Also what are some tips and tricks basically as to what I can do with cfw, just generally interested in how I can get the most out of cfw.

Upto what version of games am I able to play, is there a list? I managed to back up mario kart 7 and get it working.

Thanks in advance!

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Takes a few times to get into the CFW. This is normal. Some people suggest counting to 3 before pressing the "ds profile" button (that boots it).

CFW can install any CIA (using big blue menu). Which includes games and dlc. Only games up to 4.5 will work natively. 4.5-5.X games will work with firmware spoofing. And 6.X+ games only work with firmware spoofing and if it doesn't use 6.X+ saving. So typically that means pretty much only older games, and a couple of relatively newer games that are made in a certain way.

thuytinh266

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should not turn your 3ds off. you will have to go to CFW again. Put your 3ds into sleep mode( just close it ) you will not have to goto CFW again.

SirGray

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aw that is a shame. I'm trying to figure out what games I can and can't use on CFW. Having a tough time figuring them out.

coolfuze

Trophies
XP
Country
Aw that is a shame. I'm trying to figure out what games I can and can't use on CFW. Having a tough time figuring them out.

From what I've been able to gather you can play any game even if it takes a higher firmware because of spoofing but the catch is that game will only run on cfw if it was developed with the 4.5 or lower SDK.

coolfuze

Trophies
XP
Country
>Go here.
>Search your game.
>Scroll over to see what firmware it is.

Unfortunately that won't help him much because they don't specify the SDK used to develop that game, only the version it's meant to run on, but that is bypassed by spoofing. I might be wrong though.

SirGray

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help guys, it'll be nice not to have to carry most of my games around all the time. But what if I want to play games with higher firmware that don't work on cfw? Will I still be able to use those carts? or will I need to use a second 3ds for those? Or should I invest in a gateway card? Just curious as to what all my options are.

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the help guys, it'll be nice not to have to carry most of my games around all the time. But what if I want to play games with higher firmware that don't work on cfw? Will I still be able to use those carts? or will I need to use a second 3ds for those? Or should I invest in a gateway card? Just curious as to what all my options are.
I'm a noob at CFW and emuNANDs but according to this tutorial (https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-4-5-sysnand-4-5-cfw-9-4-emunand-without-gateway.378721/) you should be able to create another emuNAND and update that one to 9.x. But I'm not sure if that will let you use the saves or if the encryption issue will still occur (I'm pretty sure it'd still occur but...). Heck, I'm not sure if you can even launch retail games on emuNAND.

edit: I was able to launch a retail version of Cubic Ninja and stay in emuNAND. But, like I said I'm pretty sure the encryption problem will happen with newer games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16