Hacking Newbie here- How do I install WADs on my Wii U without bricking my vWii?

Gastrodon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just went through the wiiu hacks guide website and installed Tiramisu on my Wii U and the Homebrew Channel on my vWii. It says that installing WADs on the vWii will brick it. Is there any way to play WADs on my Wii U? If I use TeconMoon's "WiiVC Injector Script", will it work? I've read about brick protection, what's that? I kind of feel like I'm in over my head, I don't know what a lot of this means.

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Your vwii subsystem will trouble with bad wads only. You're safe installing wads to nand which are good dumps (check their hashes against nointro), match your region and are not system app. Emunand is only really needed when installing many many games due to the short internal storage of the wii (or vwii)

Gastrodon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your vwii subsystem will trouble with bad wads only. You're safe installing wads to nand which are good dumps (check their hashes against nointro), match your region and are not system app. Emunand is only really needed when installing many many games due to the short internal storage of the wii (or vwii)
Thanks, I'm trying to check the hashes of my WADs but I'm not finding them. The games I'm trying to install are the WiiWare "Art Style" games. I read through the nointro site and went to the dat-o-matic site, selected the system I think is right (Nintendo - Wii (Digital) (CDN)), but searching for "art" or even one of the titles like "cubello" result in nothing, even when changing the "in" box. Am I doing something wrong?

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Thanks, I'm trying to check the hashes of my WADs but I'm not finding them. The games I'm trying to install are the WiiWare "Art Style" games. I read through the nointro site and went to the dat-o-matic site, selected the system I think is right (Nintendo - Wii (Digital) (CDN)), but searching for "art" or even one of the titles like "cubello" result in nothing, even when changing the "in" box. Am I doing something wrong?
For some reason the good wad list is now classified under unofficial - nintendo - wii - digital - deprecated.

Bobby3xR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use this Wad Manager
DO NOT USE THE ONE FOR THE WII ON THE WII U!
Remember to inly install trusted WAD files, preferably if you test them first on EmuNAND.
Just making sure but this should be run from the wii u's homebrew launcher not the vWii's right? And doing this will install the wad on the wii u's menu not the vWii? (thank you in advance! Still learnin too 😁)

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Just making sure but this should be run from the wii u's homebrew launcher not the vWii's right? And doing this will install the wad on the wii u's menu not the vWii? (thank you in advance! Still learnin too 😁)
You run yawmmmld from the vwii side.
Installed stuff will be visible from vwii only.

Reactions: Bobby3xR

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
No, this is a vWii app you run it from the vWii HBC and it should install wads to the vWii, you can’t install Wii wads to the Wii U menu afaik, only Wii vc injects.

Bobby3xR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, this is a vWii app you run it from the vWii HBC and it should install wads to the vWii, you can’t install Wii wads to the Wii U menu afaik, only Wii vc injects.
Cool thanks! That's what I was thinking but wanted to be sure before I tried it on the wii u hbc. One issue I'm having is that I used Yawmm and it installed the wads fine/they are playable but it installs to the vwii's nand which is really limited far as storage goes. I moded a wii a while back and had the option with that Yawmm to install to a virtual nand, is this possible with the wii u? Or is injection the only way to install a bunch of these on the wii u? I've been trying to use UWUVCI for injection but some games install as a question mark like when I tried Tetris Party and others look like they install but throw an error when trying to run like world of goo. Both times I used rhythm fever for the base so maybe I just need to change that.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Cool thanks! That's what I was thinking but wanted to be sure before I tried it on the wii u hbc. One issue I'm having is that I used Yawmm and it installed the wads fine/they are playable but it installs to the vwii's nand which is really limited far as storage goes. I moded a wii a while back and had the option with that Yawmm to install to a virtual nand, is this possible with the wii u? Or is injection the only way to install a bunch of these on the wii u? I've been trying to use UWUVCI for injection but some games install as a question mark like when I tried Tetris Party and others look like they install but throw an error when trying to run like world of goo. Both times I used rhythm fever for the base so maybe I just need to change that.
If you mean Emunand it’s possible on WiiU and it’s actually preferable since it’s safer.

Bobby3xR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you mean Emunand it’s possible on WiiU and it’s actually preferable since it’s safer.
Yes! Thank you, I just didn't know the term 😅. What is the best way to create an Emunand on wii u? On wii I used usb loader GX but I haven't gone this route on wii u because it's going to prompt every time to format the storage device everytime I boot right? (plus I think I would need another USB device) Or can you run usbloadergx pointed to the SD card?

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes! Thank you, I just didn't know the term 😅. What is the best way to create an Emunand on wii u? On wii I used usb loader GX but I haven't gone this route on wii u because it's going to prompt every time to format the storage device everytime I boot right? (plus I think I would need another USB device) Or can you run usbloadergx pointed to the SD card?
If I remember I just copied my Wii EmuNAND to the Wii U, although USB Loader GX should work fine too to create a fresh one too, I believe EmuNAND works off SD, same with GC games via Nintendont (if you have Tiramisu you can install Nintendont as a standalone Wii vc inject then run GC backups off the SD) however Wii games must run off USB as Fat32, this software should eliminate the format prompt but honestly I haven’t tested it.

Last edited by sonictopfan,

veraci_00

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
would be cool if someone were to make a wad manager on wii u home menu where you could launch wads.
technically, there already is one through usb loader gx or other backup manager, but you do have to install them to emunand or something first. directly loading a wad I'm not sure if that's possible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGClRsx0x64