Newbie here, couple questions

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Carmentis, Dec 29, 2010.

Dec 29, 2010
  1. Carmentis
    OP

Newcomer Carmentis Member

United States
    Okay, I just recently bought a Acekard 2.1 (AceKard 2 AK2 for DS and NDS Lite - Multilingual (Multimedia SDHC TF Adapter), which I believe is 2.1. They said it would be the christmas edition)and I also bought a Kingston 4GB Micro SD Class 4 to be able to use it. I haven't received the AceKard yet but I have the Micro SD. I haven't yet set up the loader and such as well because I don't have a reader. From those though that I bought will I be able to use it on a DS Lite (I don't have a DSi), I mean was I correct in buying all those? Also as for games, I was interested in playing the Dragon Quest V on it when I got it and I downloaded the rom '3424 - Dragon Quest V - Hand of the Heavenly Bride (US)(M3)(XenoPhobia)' now I read there is anti-piracy on it and something about it not saving or problems with it. Did the one I downloaded have all that fixed (I wasn't sure what M3 stood for and such) or will I need to fix it on my computer still?
    I have the SD card formatter (from the pinned topics) already installed so I hope I can figure out the rest, I'm not very technically savvy but I try. [​IMG]

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    1 - Yes it will work on a DS Lite.

2 - (US) is the region. (M3) indicates it's got Multiple languages, 3 of them. (Xenophobia) is the name of the group the released the ROM.

3 - With a good cart like the acekard, when a game doesn't work you either change a setting or two, or wait for a firmware update to fix the game. You don't need to patch games, in fact it's recommended you not, and only run clean copies.

3. Carmentis
    OP

United States
    Ah, so I should be set with just that rom then? I don't need to patch it or anything?

I really hope I can set the loader and stuff up right, is there any tips or suggestions I should know about?

4. Rydian

United States
    The current version of AKAIO plays that game just fine.

Don't mess with the loaders, simply put AKAIO 1.8.1 (unless 1.8.2 comes out in the ext few days of course) onto your cart, it comes with the loader you need.

5. Carmentis
    OP

United States
    Would I just use the instructions as on the pinned topic http://gbatemp.net/t154624-setting-up-your...-2-1-acekard-2i for it? Is the one from the AceKard website no good? By the way, if I just got the micro SD card to I still need to format it or can I just drag the files from the zip as it says I should?

It seems rather intimidating the pinned topic of http://gbatemp.net/t218103-updated-n00b-gu...up-your-acekard. Is it really that hard to set up and put in games? Where is says to put games in it shows a _rpg thing but not the _aio on the previous ones, would it still be the same thing? From what I read (or what I think) you just drag it into the SD card? You don't really need the folders and stuff right? Will it hurt it if I don't though? Does it make a difference or am I wrong about the whole thing?

6. Rydian

United States
    Your SD will already come formatted.

To set it up and put in games, simply unzip AKAIO into the microSD (akmenu4.nds and the _aio folder in the root), then make a folder for game ROMs and drop the .NDS files in there.

The guide just covers setting up all the extra options, and how to format your card and name stuff, it runs over the shortcut keys, all the options, converting saves (from say, an emulator save to a save you can use on the cart)... It's a total guide that covers a lot of crap, that's why there's a clickable table of contents in it, so you can just get to the section you need.

_rpg is for the Acekard RPG firmware, it's the same sort of thing as AKAIO and the acekard 2i, so pretend it's _aio.

7. Carmentis
    OP

United States
    So I just make a folder called like, Games, on the card and put them all there? Am I correct on that? Oh! I have a few more questions if I may. You said patching is not recommended but what about translation patches? Would I still be able to play roms that are patched to english? Also I was looking around and a lot of people start their DS where you have to click the game to start and they don't have it set to auto-load. Do you need to have it where you click the AceKard card or can I keep it where it auto-loads?

8. Rydian

United States
    1 - Yes, just make a folder called Games or something and stick your NDS files in there. AKAIO can browse around folders so it doesn't really matter where you put them, as long as it's not in the _aio folder (because that's now displayed on the cart).

2 - I meant patching to remove AP and make games run. Translation and level-edit patches and stuff work just fine.

3 - It can be either. However there is a way to bypass the warning screen that comes on when you first turn on your DS Lite, and you'll want to google to find out how to mod it to not show that screen.

9. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    Actually, M3 may mean that it's pre-patched specifically for the M3. However, Rydian is right on everything else. Patched ROM's are unnecessary, lag the game, present saving issues, and have many less cheats than the official dumps. Just go with the one like "3424 - Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (U) (Xenophobia)" or whatever.
    THAT IS JUST WHAT A CLEAN ROM NAME LOOKS LIKE, I'M NOT TRYING TO HELP YOU GET THE ROM.

However, might I suggest Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies instead? It's the first truly perfect RPG I've ever played.

10. Rydian

United States
    When he's referring to games running like crap, it's not referring to translation or other such patches (like level mods).

11. Carmentis
    OP

United States
    Ah. Okay. The warning screen is fine, after all this time I really don't mind it but thank you so much for telling me there is a way. ^^ It won't hurt it if I leave it go with the warning screen on, will it?

And whew, so glad that translation patches and stuff won't effect it. If I may, is there was a way if you could tell if a rom was clean or not but I don't want to get in trouble or anyone else in trouble if that is a question I shouldn't ask and all. ^^;

Thank you for the suggestion on trying DQ: IX, I actually got that for christmas and enjoying it very much! Although Golden Sun: DD (another christmas gift) is taking up my attention mostly now. XD

Ah! I thought of some more questions! When the game saves does it go into the _aio folder? If not where does it go? Also if I wanted to delete a game do I just put it back into my USB and drag the game out of it or do I need to do something else? Oh! Plus if I bought a new micro SD card with like more space, from 4GB to like 8GB do I just drag all the files over to my computer then switch to the new one and copy it onto that? Do I need to do anything special?

ps. On you answer '2 - I meant patching to remove AP ' what does AP mean if it's okay to ask.

12. Rydian

United States
    1 - No, it won't hurt, people are just THAT damn lazy that they want to bypass it.

2 - First go to the AdvanScene database and search for a game (make sure to check "NDS"). In the results, find the entry you have. Make sure it actually has a number (that it's not XXXX), and the region is on the right-hand side, pay attention to that. Click on the game's name. In the new page under "Rom Info:" find "Crc32", that's the hash of the known-proper release.

Download CRC32.exe and run it. Click the ellipses button (...) to the right of the file box and select your ROM file. It may take a minute to calculate, then it will display the CRC32, which you should compare to the one listed on AdvanScene. If you find that the ROM you're having trouble with doesn't match the known clean ROM, then you'll want to get a clean one.

Take note that a trimmed ROM will show up as unclean, but in almost all cases a trimmed rom will work just fine (I trim all my ROMs with no issues). It's recommended to trim your ROMs if you want to save space, depending on the game it can trim off anywhere from 1-100 megs of space (it works by deleting blank padding data that's only in the ROM due to technical requirements of the original carts).

3 - Game saves go into the folder that the ROM is in. Don't worry, they don't show up on the ROM list in AKAIO.

4 - To remove a game yes, you can just stick the flash card into your computer and delete it. Alternately you can open the AKAIO start menu (press start or press the start button menu on the screen) and there's an option to delete it there.

5 - Yes, if you buy an 8GB card later just copy the contents of your first one off, then put them on the second.

6 - AP is "Anti-Piracy", it's coding put into games that can detect if it's running from a real cart or a flash cart, and if it detects it's running on a flash cart it will mess up the game in one way or another. This is why you make sure to stay on top of firmware updates (and why people using carts without firmware updates have to patch the games to remove the AP).

Most AP simply stops the game from loading, but other AP can simply try to annoy you to get you to buy the original (the AP for a Michael Jackson rhythm game blares a vuvuzela over the actual music, and the AP for the megaman zero collection screws up all the background graphics), or downright mean (the AP for the old SNES game Earthbound would wait until halfway through the final battle, then lock up and erase your save data).

Generally when people talk about "patching" a game, it's to remove the AP in order to get the game to run correctly on their outdated/abandoned flash cart.

The Acekard 2i is not outdated/abandoned, it's still getting proper firmware updates and game fixes, so the only time you would want to consider patching a game to remove AP is if the game comes out and you're too impatient to wait for an AKAIO update to fix it.

13. Carmentis
    OP

United States
    Thank you so much for all the info (sorry I should have said it earlier, where are my manners >.< ). I have another question if I may, with games such as Pokemon how you can transfer pokemon to other versions say for instance; I bought Pearl and I downloaded the rom of Diamond, could I transfer the pokemon from the Acekard to the legal copy I bought? Also for games like Spectrobes where you can go on wifi and download weapons and stuff or even like Phantasy Star 0 and connect with other people does Acekard do that or is it not available?

14. Masked Ranger

Member Masked Ranger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    Let's make some of your "basic" questions have a simple answer, most Nintendo games and the DS will believe that the AceKard is a real cartridge. You can use wifi without problems.

Now there are games that will not work fully without the individual games being "tricked" by AKAIO's AP. Call of Duty Black Ops is a game that won't show the Zombie portion of itself without being a real game. But if you use the AP setting, you'll be able to play it.

With regards to retail saves to the AceKard or AceKard saves to the retail carts, you can do that. Search Filetrip for NDS Backup Tool. If you purchased a 3in1 or if you download the right version of the software, you can do everything from your DS. Otherwise there's a version that you connect your DS to your PC via wireless connection.

15. Rydian

United States
    As Ranger said, Wifi works fine on a flash cart, and there's tools you can use to back up and modify the saves of real carts (but they don't work on a DSi/XL because you can't cart swap properly there).

If you just want to send PKM files (pokemon ripped out of saved data from emulators or flash carts) to your actual carts, you can use this tool.
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=211989

You use Pokesav (which version depends on the pokemon game) to get your pokemon out of your save as PKM files.

16. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Back to trimming ROMs, you DO NOT want to trim DSi ROMs. This includes DSi Enhanced games like Pokemon Black & White. DSi Enhanced ROMs run on the Acekard in DS Mode but should you trim it, its possible that certain features of the game will not work because the trimmer treats it as a DS only ROM when it actually has DSi features. No current ROM trimmer can trim DSi Enhanced ROMs so its recommended you just leave them clean.

As for backing up both games and saves from a retail cart or transfer an Acekard save to a retail cart, follow this guide.

17. Carmentis
    OP

United States
    Let me see if I got this straight. If I transfer pokemon from a DS to DS from a flashcard to a legal or another flashcard I'm okay and don't need that tool that you linked but if I wanted to transfer from my computer to the flashcard or a legal copy I would need that program, did I get that right?

Also I just had a thought, I noticed that sooner or later 1.8.2 is going to come out. Now when I put 1.8.1 on the SD card and wanted to upgrade it to 1.8.2 wouldn't that over write the saves I have, assuming that go there or am I wrong and everything will be fine? Oh! You said about AP and such, is that automatically set to on when you put in Acekard or do I need to find it under setting or something?

18. keasy

Member keasy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom

Hi mate.

I just ordered 2 Acekard 2i for my kids.

Will be waiting a week or so on delivery but I'm grabbing all my files in readiness.

I've downloaded AKAIO 1.8.1 as you have just suggested. But when I extract the files (ready to plonk onto the micro sd for when the kard arrive) and I open the included loader directory, it is empty. Shouldn't the loader file be in there ?
    :/

Cheers.

19. Rydian

United States
    The download from www.akaio.net includes the loaders, where did you get it without the loaders?

20. Masked Ranger

Member Masked Ranger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    Easy way to upgrade is to backup everything on your SD card, ignoring everything in the __aio folder with the following exception of __aio/ui since this contains all your skins. If you have done any customizing, you'll want to back up those folders too.

Once you've backed up the SD, reformat it with the Panasonic Formatter, install AKAIO, restore your backup. I thought I saw somewhere that in 1.8.2 the default is to have AP on.