Hacking Newbie Helper Sticky

Gavry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think it would be really good if there was a sticky with a list of forum members who would be willing to walk new members through the commonly asked tasks.

This hopefully would reduce the number of identical How do I do this posts. It may also reduce the number of silly bricks from not fully understanding what to do before embarking on softmod and the like.

I'd happily put my name down. Modded quite a few Wii's now without an issue.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
its no use, those ?'s will just keep on rising.

There's no stopping the noobs!

if this were to happen, i bet there would be threads like "how do i contact these members?"

noobs will find a way to ? everything and anything.

Gavry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I agree, Paradise is not the right place. At 273 pages and going strong, it's probably the worst place for a noob. Too much information is generally worse than too little.

I know there will always bee noobs that post no matter what, but a list of helpers can only help somewhat.

Gavry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's not very nice.

Unfortunately there are so many different guides and posts that its very easy to get confused for someone new to all this.

The good thing about an opt in group is that those of us who are happy to help will get the questions, and those who think their just noobs and should work it out themselves can ignore them, and hopefully get less noob spam in the process.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gavry said:
I agree, Paradise is not the right place. At 273 pages and going strong, it's probably the worst place for a noob. Too much information is generally worse than too little.

I know there will always bee noobs that post no matter what, but a list of helpers can only help somewhat.

I think the noob paradise is still about as close to what your asking for as you can get. If you want to "opt in" just periodically check the last page for any questions you see that haven't been answered yet. Noobs don't need to read through the 273 pages, they ask a question and whoever wants to help them does unless there isn't someone there to answer it before it gets lost with a bunch of other questions.

What would be more useful of a thing to do is to update the stickies to include the recent guides on softmodding newer Wii's and get rid of the outdated guides that don't work on recent Wii's anymore.

wiistarter

Trophies
XP
Country
There is one simple fact that you are forgetting....

LAZYNESS.

Its easy for a noob to come on and say... Ive looked at all the guides but what should I do when they have in fact only joined 5 minutes ago and NEVER looked at anything.

I agree that the guides should be cut down to a more standard version (but even then I have seen posts in the last few days with these so called guides popping up and they only combine guides making it more confusing.).

We really need a mod to go through the guides and delete the ones that are basically a duplicate. If some of the more knowledgable ones on this board could take some of thier valuable time to make a standard guide between them then that would mean we could delete all others and just sticky that. Any other modding guides would be deleted on creation.

Then all we would have to do is to make sure that no person gives advice to the "Stoopid" questions that keep coming up but just refer them to the sticky. Noobs see questions being answered and just think they will do it. If all the info is available in a stickie and is easy to understand and a noob still has problems then should they really be doing this????.

I came on here and read everything available and followed the guides that suited my needs. I did not read EVERY guide. I had my copy of TP and read what I needed to do. The tools have got easier and some are now obsolete but it still isnt rocket science.

I am all for helping people with certain issues like if something goes wrong or something wont install but when you have people on asking "bannerbomb wont install whats wrong" and they only tried one version then thats just nonsense. Same with the constant "WSR wont work" when there are numerous threads about this all over the place. The ones who come on and ask a question then bump the thread every hour is annoying as well

Teach them to help themselves and the board becomes less cluttered and we can really help those in need

Just a little after thought.. In order to keep any thread to a minimum then say the members made a guide. Any questions asked about the guide will be answered in the guide itself. IE: why wont such and such not install. When the answer is found it then becomes a section in the guide like " if such and such wont install then do this" rather than having a 200+ thread with questions and answers a noob has to search through (as in some cases the SEARCH button itself seems a bit much for them to understand)

Gritten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As a 'newb' to posting here in the forums, I agree with both sides. I've been coming here for over a year now - just registered yesterday to post my first how to post.

Generally - I search google, search the forums, read as many found guides, and the problem threads prior to going off and trying whatever it is I want to do.

In some cases, some things are just either confusing, or has umpteen different guides with different steps. Sometimes it's just easier to say "Ok, I'm trying to do x, y and z. Which steps are the most common, easiest, and best method of completing such task"

For instance, I had a very difficult time trying to figure out the best way to upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1. I couldn't find a simple "Just install Wininkoko 4.1" I just kept coming across the ultimate guides.

I didn't want to use the massive newb post - even though it seemed like the best place for it. It would be nice to have a newb forum / people to contact with those stupid quick questions....even if I truely support the 'Don't spoonfeed newbs, let them look' methodolgy.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no this have never helped if noob paridise isn't evidence enough noobs are too noobish to look for a noob help topic.
also these topics for multiple idiotic questions normally fail because people want to avoid the noobish questions all together.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJewzRHdH8c