New Wii Revision

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by LightyKD, Nov 12, 2011.

Nov 12, 2011

New Wii Revision by LightyKD at 4:55 PM (4,782 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. LightyKD
    OP

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    Hey everyone.

The new model Wii consoles were released last month and I was wondering if anyone got a hold of one. I'm curious on what software differences the system will have. We all know there's no GameCube support but something tells me that there has to be a bit more of a difference. I have no interest in buying one but I do have an interest in how hackable they are.

2. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

There are no software differences, they can run homebrew just like normal wiis.

3. LightyKD
    OP

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    That's interesting. One would think that Nintendo would take the time to do a little extra :P

4. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    I have a strange feeling that the new Wii's still contain a MIOS................

5. Yuan

Member Yuan GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    I wish someone with one of those could post a motherboard's photo + syscheck :(

6. demonicstrife

Member demonicstrife *INSERTGENERICTITLE*

United States
    I think Nintendo kinda gave up on software updates, seeing as we haven't had an update in a loooong while. It's not like their sales are actually affected anyway.

7. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    They're being sold for $99 at WM on Black Friday so it shouldn't be long before a scenester gets a hold of one and does a little research for us. :)

8. celcodioc

Member celcodioc Major A$$hole

Sweden
    I wonder why it's supposed to only sit horizontally though?

9. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    because they are cutting costs. that little grey vertical stand costs money. instead of saying "we were too cheap to give you a stand", they are saying "this model is horizontal".

1 person likes this.
  10. mightymo77

Newcomer mightymo77 Advanced Member

United States
    My girlfriend bought me a new black system, but I don't have it yet. I would say that I will mod it and post the results but I honestly just want her to return it. I don't need it, I have like three used white Wii's that I bought to mod and have one on each TV. Women....

11. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden

Mod it and sell for more than you bought it for :)

12. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    That you want to see a SysCheck pretty much confirms you wouldn't know what you were looking at in a motherboard photo.

EVERY IOS that is in the latest official update will be there. They all need to be there or certain games/channels won't work. There won't be any exclusive IOS, because that would only be needed if there was exclusive software. The only possible difference is the lack of MIOS (dunno if it's there or not, there is no reason for it to be, but assuming they have not modified System Menu at all, which I guess they haven't, it'd be installed by WiFi and disc updates anyway, so they may as well put it on, so that discs don't prompt for an update, just to install MIOS).

Maybe they have an updated boot1 or boot2, but there would be zero point in that seeing as there is nothing wrong with the old ones. Nintendo aren't going to waste time making software changes here, all they're trying to do is cut costs - wasting time modifying software that already works isn't a good cost cutting move.

Even hardware changes are probably minimal. They'll have cut down the costs somewhat, but the hardware will need to be similar so that it will still be compatible with the same software. They've obviously cut out some hardware like GC controller ports and memory card slots, as well as perhaps some other GC mode related hardware. And they are probably using newer, cheaper revisions of other pieces of hardware (not the first time this has happened for Wii, there were new revisions of the processors at various points before, most notably the "LU64+" wii's, where the new processors were incompatible with old IOS). But there will most likely be nothing of extreme interest to be seen inside the revised Wii. Certainly nothing useful that will benefit the homebrew scene in anyway, all it would achieve is satisfying people's curiosity.

13. Lucif3r

Sweden
    You know, I wouldnt be all that surprised if the motherboard is identical, and it would be possible to solder the GC ports back and get it to play GC games (might have to change DVD as well though).
    Of course, this would mean ruin the casing, but if the motherboard is the same as older Wiis you can easily just buy a spare case for the old version.

As for IOS... If there was any update, it would go live for the old versions as well.

14. kupo3000

Member kupo3000 GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    Is the in-built NAND storage still 512 MB?

15. pretender13

Member pretender13 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Here are some pics of new blue wii

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ios's are still there for the gc support, just no ports, but is section to solder them but is another port on the right side, where the memcard slots were.

16. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    xac whatever is my friend he has a new model wii. i can ask him to post a syscheck for you

17. Lucif3r

Sweden
    Huh, the case still got the ports for GC? Wow thats cheap.
    Anyway, since the solderpoints are still there, it should be very possible to add GC ports to it.

18. ldies25

Newcomer ldies25 Newbie

United States
    Has anyone modded one of the new versions to make sure such a thing is possible?

Or am I a fool for asking?

19. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    That's not foolish at all to ask.
    A lot of people are interested in what this Wii has on board on a software point of view.

20. luckwii

Member luckwii GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Or maybe the drive is cheaper and doesn't work well in vertical position...more prone to skipping etc. It will be interesting to see what DVD drive they use.