New Wii Owner

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by underbaker, Dec 16, 2008.

Dec 16, 2008

New Wii Owner by underbaker at 2:55 PM (1,000 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. underbaker
    OP

Newcomer underbaker Newbie

Philippines
    [​IMG]

I recently got a JAP wii converted to US and also modded with a (afaik) d2ckey with homebrew channel and currently at 3.2u.
    I tried to play brawl in it but it asked for an updated which I accepted. after the update I recieve dual channels. but the wii setting still work, my knowledge with the wii is very minimal so I tried to search on how to fix it. So later im planning to buy an SD card to fix it and maybe add more things with it.

So if my unit is converted to US does that mean that my region is NTSC? and do I need hombrew apps to be able to play PAL games?
    If I play new games and it ask for updates should I block it? I read that there are apps around that blocks updates.
    Basically my concern is what apps/stuffs should I put in my Wii so that I can play games without having any problems, and what other things should I learn to prevent problems with it.

ATM my wii is working without a problem, but I wanted to learn the different things about it, currently Im afraid to do anything with it which sucks.
    Im reading different articles to help me but most of the words they use are unfamiliar to me like WADS and IOS and other stuff.

Thanks for those who can help. [​IMG]

2. afif95

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    First of all, in order for you to do any softmod, any at all, you must have an SD Card (Unless of course, you have WiFi and able to send .dol files through sendelf, but that is out of the question).
    Once you get an SD Card, follow my tut on how to set ftpii up through sendelf (Yes, without a card reader), but follow this additional steps before you carry on with the first step in putting the ftpii into your SD (This way, you never need a card reader at all):
    1)Once you are able to access your SD Card through any FTP Client, create a new directory called "apps" and "wad" in the sd folder
    2)Once done, follow the next step (Putting ftpii into your SD Card)

3. afif95

Malaysia
    Also for your other questions:
    1) Yes, your Wii is NTSC
    2)To play PAL Games, I doubt you need softmod as you already have disc channel, but there's some dreaded updates.....

Get Gecko OS, google it. You need HBC and SD Card.

Here's a quick description for WAD and IOS:
    WAD = Is a file that can be installed through WAD Manager (google). Mainly consists of IOS, Homebrew WADs (Such as Gecko OS Channel), Wiiware and VC. However, most of them take up Wii blocks to install due to the fact it is a channel

IOS = Is a set of files you don't want to mess with unless you're assisted by a pro/or you're a total pro yourself.

For a quick example, take a look at Windows XP. You have the "windows32" folder and the files in it. Same goes for Nintendo Wii and IOS. Unless you know what to do, DON'T MESS WITH IOS.

However, installing IOS is another thing.

4. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    there is a tool from Waninkoko, Wii Duplicated Channel Remover v2 use it to delete your duplicated, channels and after that, use starfall to never doing an update again and make your Wii region free for channels, GC disc and Wii disc, got it?? [​IMG]

5. afif95

Malaysia
    Ah, shoot. Forgot starfall. Nevermind, ether told ya.

6. noobwarrior7

Member noobwarrior7 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    also, good advice I can give you that you may not hear elsewhere:

because your wii has had it's region converted....NEVER EVER FORMAT

I repeat, never do a system format.

doing so on a wii with a switched region can possibly trigger an opera brick, and depending on your situation, that could mean full brick.

7. ashesburn

Member ashesburn GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Is it still not advisable even if the wii is converted back to its original region?

8. noobwarrior7

Member noobwarrior7 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    should be fine if you did convert it back to jap (its manufactured region) but very few users will ever actually have a need to fomat...I'd say less than 1%. formatting isn't very useful, talk to djdynamite if you want to know the one situation where it might help to format.

9. underbaker
    OP

Newcomer underbaker Newbie

Philippines
    Thanks for the replies. I was really lost on what to do before. Lot of helpful people here thanks!

10. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    And that's why GBATemp is the best place to be at the moment...!! [​IMG]