sTo0z

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey folks, did some searching but I didn't see much.. I'm surprised there isn't a bit more chatter with these things.

The RepliCade machines are mini-arcade replicas at 1/6th scale and are about 12 inches tall. Here is the website: https://newwavetoys.com/

Per their own description: "The Replicade runs a closed system that boots directly into the Rom." And they are officially licensed roms from the license holders.

I have all 3 of their currently released machines: Centipede, Tempest, and Street Fighter II. They've had a few bumps but in my opinion are pretty solid machines. I do know they can interface with PCs over USB as they are capable of firmware updates, but I certainly don't have any skill or knowledge beyond that.

Was hoping there's some other folks out there that might have been trying to dig a little further into these machines? Or maybe they already have and I haven't been looking in the right spot.

There's also a similar release going on over here:
http://www.numskull.com/quarter-arcades/

These are larger but mostly the same deal. So, same question for these machines I guess. :P

Anyone?

Reactions: KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have played on the Numskull Pac-Man one, imho it’s too small to be truly useful... even if you could mod it in anyway.

I’m following the thread to see if anyone has modded it.

Reactions: sTo0z

sTo0z

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yah agreed. They are not really for hardcore gaming or anything, a bit of a novelty. But I'm a super arcade fan and a bit of a collector so I couldn't resist. :)

I also love all the crazy stuff the community comes up with and always thing modding is interesting and how it gets done. So I guess the dream here would be like swapping the rom out or something.

You basically have 3 physical control schemes here now, which is cool. A dial, a trackball, and now a stick + 6 buttons.

Reactions: KiiWii

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
very neat indeed. seen a couple of reviews too. that being said that 119 is a bit tough to swallow. otherwise i would totally give a shot at modding it.

sTo0z

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yah definitely not "useful" in that sense, but still would be super fun to mod! Still hanging onto hope that someone out there is able to tinker a bit!

mrchrisster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wonder if there is any way to play other games on them? The hardware is not that custom... the Dragon's Lair they make runs on Daphne for Linux afaik

Last edited by mrchrisster,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE