New USB pen or more RAM?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So it's now past the 6 months stage on my HP TX1000 laptop with Vista Ultimate on it and I have to admit that I found myself adapting to it okay. But somehow the 1gb Ram just isn't cutting it. Is there really any difference between buying 2 x 1gb RAM stick or just getting a 4gb pen and using the readyboost feature?

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MOAR RAM!!

I found the jump from 512 mb
laugh.gif
to 1GB to be very impressive. So im sure doubling it again would be just as exciting, or more!
unsure.gif

wzeroc

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Get a RAM addon. i tried to find some info on the readyboost once and if i'm not mistaken there was a limit on how big of the size of the pendrive that readyboost can handle.

But then again, if you have pendrive, atleast you can put 'things' in it and give it sneakily to your 'friends'.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Alrighty, got my pay today so it's time for some spending. I checked the memory for my laptop and it says it's a PC2-5300S. I checked on ebuyer and the ones they have are PC-5300. Does it make any difference if the S is missing or do I have to buy "official" memory from HP? Also, I've been on ebuyer and I'm presented with a selection of choices

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/cat/Memory---Lapt...R2-SODIMM-5300+

Corsair, Crucial or Kingston?

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Getting a usb flash drive is cheaper than messing with the ram. I got one for the readyboost, but it seems to make the laptop slower. Maybe the flash drive isn't fast enough. I'll be able to use the 4gb stick for something else, so I'm not really bothered.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Getting a usb flash drive is cheaper than messing with the ram. I got one for the readyboost, but it seems to make the laptop slower. Maybe the flash drive isn't fast enough. I'll be able to use the 4gb stick for something else, so I'm not really bothered.
I do have a 4gb USB pen but for some reason, Vista doesn't recognise it at all for readyboost.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
RAM is much faster than ReadyBoost.
Say, if someone asks you what 3+4+5 is,
You do 3+4 in your head, "remember 7 and forget about 3+4" and then do 7+5 in your head, that's similar to how RAM works.
ReadyBoost: You do 3+4 in your head, "write down 7 on a piece of paper, look at it, oh it's a seven" so do 7+5 in your head.

Some funky analogy inside

If you really want to imitate multitasking causing lack of RAM, go cycle at the gym while on the phone explaining this cheaper car insurance to your friend, and do a 20! (factorial) in your head. If you have good memory but still can't remember enough, you can write numbers down on your shirts, if you have bad memory, you could carry a memo slip to jot things down, and if that's still not enough write down on your shirts.
(Cycling, on the phone, 20! = tasks, RAM = your memory, memo slip = USB pen, shirts = HDD)

Corsair is the best gaming RAM IMO, but Kingston (Toshiba) is (or used to be) the best laptop memory maker.
I use Corsair memory on my desktop and Toshiba memory on my laptop, if that helps at all.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
RAM is much faster than ReadyBoost.
Say, if someone asks you what 3+4+5 is,
You do 3+4 in your head, "remember 7 and forget about 3+4" and then do 7+5 in your head, that's similar to how RAM works.
ReadyBoost: You do 3+4 in your head, "write down 7 on a piece of paper, look at it, oh it's a seven" so do 7+5 in your head.

Some funky analogy inside

If you really want to imitate multitasking causing lack of RAM, go cycle at the gym while on the phone explaining this cheaper car insurance to your friend, and do a 20! (factorial) in your head. If you have good memory but still can't remember enough, you can write numbers down on your shirts, if you have bad memory, you could carry a memo slip to jot things down, and if that's still not enough write down on your shirts.
(Cycling, on the phone, 20! = tasks, RAM = your memory, memo slip = USB pen, shirts = HDD)

Corsair is the best gaming RAM IMO, but Kingston (Toshiba) is (or used to be) the best laptop memory maker.
I use Corsair memory on my desktop and Toshiba memory on my laptop, if that helps at all.
So... uh.... RAM is good?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd go for Ram, not only is it useful but if you shear it you can get make a nice fleecy coat.

Ok bad joke but yeah RAM is always

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I need ram to lol.
But im going to get myself a new Quad core pc
tongue.gif
Urgh, don't remind me. I bought a new PC after my old one died last year and just as I was unpacking it, an advert fot Quad Core appears. Yeah, neighbours must've wanted to complain about me shouting FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCKKKK.

Well, I hope Corsair is a good brand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy