New UK police powers allow computer hacking without a warrant

nin10do

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
all isp's have like super massive hdd's that store all your browsing info along with your ip. if you have a dynamic ip they just store thetime stamp with it so they still identify you. technically the police can just pick up the info from the isp's.

lecture.gif
it's turning into a nanny state. i had to go to the employment office to apply for a fetal position.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then your best way is to rent wii game you like and dump it yourself or just download wii/roms games you want and burn them on DVDR then reformat your computer.
tongue.gif

sprogurt

Trophies
XP
Country
[sarcasm] Like to see them get past windows firewall [/sarcasm] XD (c'mon though, we're in the middle of resession and they're more concerned about catching petty criminals? i can get terrorists but why normal people? XD)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
sprogurt said:
[sarcasm] Like to see them get past windows firewall [/sarcasm] XD (c'mon though, we're in the middle of resession and they're more concerned about catching petty criminals? i can get terrorists but why normal people? XD)

QUOTE(The Teej @ Jan 6 2009, 11:46 AM) The goal, as with all such moves, is to track down terrorists, smurfphiles, and cybercriminals.

rolleyes.gif

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
jalaneme said:
Noitora said:
What makes them think that a cybercriminal will open an attachment in an e-mail from an unknown sender?

my point exactly, and most people have firewall and virus programs

Lol you people are so naive, you think if they wanted to do this you would be able to stop it, know about, or do anything about it?

Your firewalls and virus programs would probably be modified to accept this, hell I wouldnt be surprised if the spyware would be forcibly included in your windows or anti virus updates as standard. Im not saying people wouldnt find a way to get rid of this from their system at some point, but you would probably get your door kicked in by a bunch of feds at 5am for doing so.

Since 2001 we have been slowly moving into a worldwide police state, Ive been saying this for ages, and people called me a conspiracy theorist. But I came to this conclusion just by watching the news and reading newspapers. Paying attention to laws being introduced "for our own security".

I read yesterday that the plan is Europe wide, every single computer will be infected with a government trojan and be monitored indiscriminately. And less of the "sucks to live in the UK" comments people, use your heads, if its being trialled in the UK it will slowly be introduced everywhere.

Heed p1ngpongs warning!
lecture.gif

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
A third involves law-enforcement officials breaking into people's homes and directly installing spyware, such as keyloggers, or attaching physical monitoring devices to their machines.

Wow. Break the law to keep us nice and law-abiding, huh? Bravo, police force. Bravo.

I can see corrupt cops being the first to sign up for this job. Hey, you're gonna be breaking into houses anyway. Why not steal a few things while you hack the computer?

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RockmanForte said:
Your best way is burn them on DVDR and remove everything from HD and they wont find anything on your computer, that's simple.

If it was only that simple .....PC FORENSIC HD tools can read data on your drive regardless of how many times its been overwritten and still gather enough evidence against you!

the only way to get rid of evidence is PHYSICALLY DESTROY the hard drive usually with total destruction!

wiping a drive even with drive wiping tools you can STILL revive enough data to read it like a fingerprint of where you have been and what you have been downloading!

you are severely misled to think burning them to disk is a way to hide your tracks!

they can even prove that you burned that dvd with your drive and PC and not any other drive too by reading it from the burn information with something similar to NERO CD/DVD SPEED it will analyze the disk and compare it to other disks again much like fingerprinting!

anyhow back on topic IM SURE THIS will get thrown out of court due to it infringing Civil Rights in so many ways!

it's no different to the average person hacking someone else its breaching LAWS in itself regardless of they have permission to do it or not!

I mean hell they cannot even keep hold of millions of Britain's personal information records as it is ..example loosing it on trains and on laptops and usb sticks and cds/dvds never mind keep records of who's doing what!!!

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kobykaan said:
RockmanForte said:
Your best way is burn them on DVDR and remove everything from HD and they wont find anything on your computer, that's simple.

If it was only that simple .....

True. They coould also:

Force downloading and installing via software vulnerabilities,
Hack and sniff wireless connections,
Install software keyloggers physically and virtually,
Install hardware keyloggers, etc
Retrieve all information from your computer

without you knowing.

Cablephish

Show me...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I heard, that what you delete from your computer just stays there, if you delete it, it just makes it a priority that it will be overwritten, so until you over write, you can still find what you lost.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Law said:
Remember Britain:

This is your fault for voting Labour into power.
Do you really think it would be any different under a Torry Government? From my experience with conservative politicians it'd be even worse... if it could get any worse.

Falco20019

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wow... Sounds like the same shit as in Germany with the ACPO instead of BKA and that they didn't gave the trojan horse a name yet... Maybe this will follow. Maybe Unitedhorse?
tongue.gif

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
enarky said:
Law said:
Remember Britain:

Do you really think it would be any different under a Torry Government? From my experience with conservative politicians it'd be even worse... if it could get any worse.

I think it would be better if the guy running the place wasn't a semi-blind fat fuck.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Law said:
enarky said:
Law said:
Remember Britain:

I think it would be better if the guy running the place wasn't a semi-blind fat fuck.

It dosent make a difference who is PM there are no good choices as far as Im concerned, the last good politician in the UK was Tony Ben! He actually has integrity and principles.

ben460.jpg

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Law said:
enarky said:
Law said:
Remember Britain:

A "semi-blind fat fuck"? What are you, twelve? Please, do us all a favour and think before you write.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It gets worse people:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/05/police_remote_snoop/
Denial tends to mean six months later...

On the other hand they may well have a few people able to go toe to toe with me but I can assure you it will take a lot of effort.

My only problem is as part of rom hacking I have loads of random (literally) data on my drive that looks exactly like encrypted data. I do also have some properly encrypted data using an unbreakable encryption (one time pad with key length larger than the file: see old school spy method of using a given edition of a book) which is bound to cause all sorts of fun.

Large drives on the ISP: my otherwise slow connection (700kbyte/sec has been going at full pelt for several days now and usually does this for about 15 days a month in total), add in friends (loads use VPN now) and I seriously doubt any government department or anyone for that matter can pull off a days storage let alone anything longer term.

I imagine the same experience will be repeated at a border crossing some point in the near future (given they can apparently legally search a laptop).

Erase hard drive: I agree it is hard but not impossible as you seem to imply. Also self destructing drives are not exactly hard to make.
Also for anything especially dodgy I have a linux live CD which will never touch the hard drive, good luck intercepting that.

On the flip side there are many weakly encrypted networks in every populated area I have ever been too, I have no objection to rolling two towns over and doing stuff if needs be. Given that they seem to have no understanding at the best of times it would not be hard to do things via another network (the only thing that really matters then is the mac address which is trivial to change).

So in conclusion BS law that will not stop anyone fun.

Zesu-chan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what if the UK cops find something illegal onto your computer? What are they gonna do about it? They don't have guns!
laugh.gif

Seriously, I'm glad I don't live in the UK. I'd like to visit there some day, but they're just a little bit too oppressive for me to want to live there. Have you seen all those video cameras at random city street corners? They're watching you.
dry.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show