a084ceb8401cdf4e17b44c8a4fb4a5d8.jpg

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

Reactions: hippy dave

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um, yeah... I guess if you REALLY can't afford one of the better options available and you don't mind destroying your original DMG GameBoy - then ok?

My thoughts on this aside from the above:
  • Image looks WAY too soft - but what can you expect from composite out with such a low source resolution...
  • I wonder if the link port can still be used as intended after adding composite out to it? (assume at the least you'd have to disable TV mode)
I know it's about $40 more and there's a lead time on new orders, but why not at least get THIS if you don't want to go as far or spend as much as a GBA Consolizer or other options.

Interesting find and good to know about it tho...

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, they've had them for GBAs and GBCs now too. I think they're neat, lots of people do the IPS screen mods on their old Game Boys these days, and now for a few bucks more you can get some extra wires to solder and a link cable to optionally do TV-out. Not a necessity by any means, but a pretty cool novelty in my book.

And to esmith13, yes link cables can still properly work, so long as you remove the resistor on the EM3 of the GBA. This is for the GBA anyway, not sure if the regular Game Boy has a similar resistor to remove. However, the wireless GBA link adapter no longer works with this mod, not a big deal as it was an optional way to link for only a small handful of games.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yikes, that's expensive.

They do? I thought messing with the finnicky, glued ribbon cable was mostly unfeasible.

Sorry I was speaking about the royal Game Boy, as in the Game Boy family. Mostly people put such screens in their GBAs, but the GBC and Game Boy Lite have seen a fair amount of modding in recent years as well. The original Game Boy is probably the least modded in the family, but all the same, they do occur.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yikes, that's expensive.

They do? I thought messing with the finnicky, glued ribbon cable was mostly unfeasible.

The DMG is actually quite easy to IPS mod. All of the IPS mod kits come with an entirely new front board so you don't have to touch the original screen at all. Drop the new board in, connect to the motherboard with the original ribbon cable, connect IPS panel to the new front board, solder your two speaker wires to the front board, and any other optional connections that may or may not be needed to control OSDs or such. Trim the shell in a few places and you're done. No messing about with the original screen at all.

The alternative is to install a backlit kit for the original screen, which DOES require lifting the screen while the ribbon cables are attached and managing to remove the reflective back layer, polarizing film, and LOCA. It's not easy. I ruined a screen that way. 0/10 would not recommend.

Reactions: hippy dave

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/5eLWoy0fFkc?si=1vvQ_2zAUlF1ThoD